Melo: I could have been a contender by: | Syracusefan.com

Melo: I could have been a contender by:

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
A. signing with as many superstars as possible using filler for the rest of the team, or
B. playing on a team with a very deep roster.

Both Miami and San Antonio have won, each with their respective philosophy. At this point the San Antonio way is tweaked to its max and is the superior option, but both philosophies have worked and can work again.
I hope Melo gives the most weight to team depth when he makes his decision. People think of him as a ball hog, but the Melo we know is more interested in doing what it takes to win.

I hope he ends up at Chicago. I think his game will thrive under Tom T and his defensive will be a lot better.

He forced his way to NY. I get that he wanted to play in his "hometown," but he knew James Dolan's incompetence wasn't going anywhere. I also wish he had gotten to play for a different coach with the roster he was on in Denver, specifically the year the Nuggets lost to the Lakers in the WCF and imploded down the stretch of two games.

A. signing with as many superstars as possible using filler for the rest of the team, or
B. playing on a team with a very deep roster.

Both Miami and San Antonio have won, each with their respective philosophy. At this point the San Antonio way is tweaked to its max and is the superior option, but both philosophies have worked and can work again.
I hope Melo gives the most weight to team depth when he makes his decision. People think of him as a ball hog, but the Melo we know is more interested in doing what it takes to win.

One quibble - there are superstars and then there is LeBron. I would love to see Melo and Bron team up because I think it could extend both of their careers.

The thing about SA is that it's an incredibly well-run organization, independent of being a sports franchise. Not a lot of teams have that.

One quibble - there are superstars and then there is LeBron. I would love to see Melo and Bron team up because I think it could extend both of their careers.

The thing about SA is that it's an incredibly well-run organization, independent of being a sports franchise. Not a lot of teams have that.
if they did, 2 months in the whispers would be are u

two months in there would be whispers as to who really is batman.

San Antonio is an EXTREME outlier. A perfect storm of a team. Imo, it's a waste of time to aspire to be what they are. They have aging stars who still play well and are willing to take less, they've hit on their draft picks, got ahead of the international scouting curve and have escaped any huge injury issues. For example, Ginobili/Parker/Splitter aren't Spurs this day in age unless they trade up for them.

Miami is much more of a realistic option.

All signs point to a return to NY for Melo. The Knicks should have been a playoff team last season. Barring injury bad luck, they will be a playoff team this season. Next season becomes their key when they will have cap room + a #1, and if used wisely, they could make a jump to legit contender.

All signs point to a return to NY for Melo. The Knicks should have been a playoff team last season. Barring injury bad luck, they will be a playoff team this season. Next season becomes their key when they will have cap room + a #1, and if used wisely, they could make a jump to legit contender.
If Melo returns to NY, they almost certainly will be a playoff team, and would be a strong contender to take their weak division. The key for 2014-15 would be surrounding Melo with a cohesive set of role players, and getting consistent play from Shumpert and Smith (one can always dream).

br801 said:
If Melo returns to NY, they almost certainly will be a playoff team, and would be a strong contender to take their weak division. The key for 2014-15 would be surrounding Melo with a cohesive set of role players, and getting consistent play from Shumpert and Smith (one can always dream).

I said this last year and the year before. The Knicks won't ever win anything including their division until they get rid of Smith.

I said this last year and the year before. The Knicks won't ever win anything including their division until they get rid of Smith.

The problem with this is they won their division in 2013 with Smith.

Doesn't sound like he's signing for the full max.

Also have to think some more moves are on the horizon. We have about 40 guards.

JR Smith is a good player to have when he's engaged. It's up to Phil/Fish to get that out of him. If not, he's gone. Wouldn't be surprised to see him start in the backcourt with Calderon though especially if Shump gets moved.

Knicks411 said:
The problem with this is they won their division in 2013 with Smith.

Yea, remembered that after I posted but in a hurry so didn't edit. Stand by my opinion but will edit it to say they won't win anything of significance and be the best they can be till they get rid of him. He is a basketball cancer and a garbage player only concerned with himself. Don't care that he can get hot at times. His game isn't conducive to winning.

Yea, remembered that after I posted but in a hurry so didn't edit. Stand by my opinion but will edit it to say they won't win anything of significance and be the best they can be till they get rid of him. He is a basketball cancer and a garbage player only concerned with himself. Don't care that he can get hot at times. His game isn't conducive to winning.

Don't think he's worth the trouble, I will be glad when he's gone from the team.

Doesn't sound like he's signing for the full max.

Where do you see that? I'm going off the Woj piece which said they verbally offered him the max.

If he signs for the max with the Knicks, I think we can say he's more interested in getting paid than winning.
I think that's a common thing being said in the media but is far too simplistic. Along with signing for the max, he is also signing up with faith that Phil can make the moves necessary to make them a contender. Will he be able to? Time will tell. Lots of people thought Chicago would be the best place for him to go if he truly was most interested in winning - which again I think is just BS media talk. Going there would be a big risk IMHO due to the health of Rose. If he signed a long term deal there and Rose never got back to his prior form, he'd be wasting the next 4 years.

Melo's coming back to NY and he's bringing Pau with him. Lebron won't be joining next year, but Marc Gasol will.

Full_Rebar said:
Melo's coming back to NY and he's bringing Pau with him. Lebron won't be joining next year, but Marc Gasol will.

That's not going to get the Knicks anywhere. Too many average to below average guards and the Gasol's aren't stars.

Pretty much every prominent NBA writer just validated the Lakers rumor. Either it's a Lakers leak and Melo is solid to NY. Melo/Lebron are thinking about teaming up in LA or its trying to force a S&T to Chicago.

There's a reason this came out. It didn't just appear out of nowhere. Literally every beat writer including Woj is on it.

I can't believe he just wants to go to LA to play with Kobe and Gasol. They're not doin anything with that roster in the west.

Bizarre.

I think that's a common thing being said in the media but is far too simplistic. Along with signing for the max, he is also signing up with faith that Phil can make the moves necessary to make them a contender. Will he be able to? Time will tell. Lots of people thought Chicago would be the best place for him to go if he truly was most interested in winning - which again I think is just BS media talk. Going there would be a big risk IMHO due to the health of Rose. If he signed a long term deal there and Rose never got back to his prior form, he'd be wasting the next 4 years.

A lot of that is true, but he doesn't need to make the max to sign with the Knicks, which was my point. (And he may not)

That's not going to get the Knicks anywhere. Too many average to below average guards and the Gasol's aren't stars.
True Bees, he needs Love, Rondo and a guy like Aldridge or ? - Gasol brothers are not going to get the job done. Although, I'm sure he'd be fine with Pau signing a one year deal.

CBS Sports Network was reporting earlier tonight that he was going to sign back with the Knicks. Think he's making a mistake but think a lot has to do with the mrs. and his son so you can't knock him on that. Hopefully they'll bring some talent to help him out but just don't see it. Really, really wish he would have gone to the Bulls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom