Melo may be done in Houston | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo may be done in Houston

How dare he play for poorly run franchises with mediocre talent around him his entire career. For shame, Carmelo! How dare he score a lot of points efficiently for a long time!

Love Melo for what he did at SU. However, he was NOT an efficient scorer. What he was, was a player that couldn't be stopped when he was on, but could be a liability when he was cold because he was a ballstopper.
He rarely put forth defensive effort and never used his great passing ability for most of his pro career. He has been considered the toughest cover when he was younger. Thanks for the title..truly. As good as he was, he really did underachieve. He had THAT kind talent.

He’s going to be a HOF. He’s been a great representative for SU. But, it’s been hard to watch him the past few years. Zero D, rapidly diminished athleticism, lift, terrible shot selection, not moving the ball, etc. It’s been a great run but can’t outrace Father Time. Nothing anti-Melo here just reality.

Love Melo for what he did at SU. However, he was NOT an efficient scorer. What he was, was a player that couldn't be stopped when he was on, but could be a liability when he was cold because he was a ballstopper.
He rarely put forth defensive effort and never used his great passing ability for most of his pro career. He has been considered the toughest cover when he was younger. Thanks for the title..truly. As good as he was, he really did underachieve. He had THAT kind talent.

How many wings that carry the offensive load like that have been considered “efficient”? LeBron? And Harden because he goes to the line 50 times a game?

For guys with similar games and responsibilities, prime Melo was plenty efficient. Gotta look at context. I once had a fan trying to tell me the Knicks should get Tyson Chandler more shots because he was “efficient”. Umm...how? He can only make dunks and layups, so that’s all he shoots. Kinda hard to get him more of those.

How many wings that carry the offensive load like that have been considered “efficient”? LeBron? And Harden because he goes to the line 50 times a game?

For guys with similar games and responsibilities, prime Melo was plenty efficient. Gotta look at context. I once had a fan trying to tell me the Knicks should get Tyson Chandler more shots because he was “efficient”. Umm...how? He can only make dunks and layups, so that’s all he shoots. Kinda hard to get him more of those.

You're thinking with your heart, not your head. Larry Bird, James Worthy, Dominique, Dantley, Durant, James, and my favorite..Bernard King plus lots of others. And yes, FTs are part of it. And since Melo averaged over 6 made per game, it helped his scoring significantly.

You're thinking with your heart, not your head. Larry Bird, James Worthy, Dominique, Dantley, Durant, James, and my favorite..Bernard King plus lots of others. And yes, FTs are part of it. And since Melo averaged over 6 made per game, it helped his scoring significantly.

So some of the other greatest of all time? Ok, cool.

Melo was a better player than a couple of those guys, by the way(IMO, of course).

He may be past his prime and is nearing the end of his career but Houston is in for a rude awakening if they think this does anything for them. Like usual, the glamour of a D'Antoni offense wears quickly due to poor defense and a system that is very hard to get year in year out success. Not saying it's an awful system but it is not Golden State quality. I gave it a chance this year but you can just see the flaws once again showing as they have at MD's previous stops.

Someone else will pick Melo up as a bench piece or he hangs them up. Absolutely a HOFer who is underappreciated for what he did in Denver in a loaded west. The move to NY, injury etc etc and the window closed. Be funny if Golden State gave him a look...

I mean, he’s going to be a HoFer. That’s a decent legacy.
Top 20 point scorer in NBA/ABA history, elevated Denver to perennial 50-game winner in strong conference, key contributor on multiple Olympic teams, played a zillion years. Most guys who get to the league would sign up for that.

Worst post of the day on this board on a day when there is a lot of competition.

Lol, he said “most meaningless player in the history of any sport”...lololololol.

Hes past his prime and I don’t know if he got it in his head yet that he cant do what he used to. Once that hurdle has been crossed he could accept a lesser role from a team that’s interested in him .
He's been trying to play a lesser role these last two seasons.

We should all underachieve like Carmelo.

seems to me like carmelo always made the calculation i'll take my money over any chance at winning an NBA title. and it worked .

The national media attention Carmelo has gotten over the course of his career is strikingly similar to the way McNabb was treated. The negativity has always puzzled me.

Yup. And the way the sheep-like “fans” turned on both(both were extremely popular for awhile) because the media told them to was similar too.

Sadly, a few SU fans even joined in both times too.

He's been trying to play a lesser role these last two seasons.
False. It’s well known he wasn’t ready to come off the bench a few months ago. There’s direct quotes from him out there.

I’ve always felt that putting the ball in the basket is a premium skill in basketball, but maybe I don’t understand the sport at all.
Yah 13 years with a 20 ppg average
Yup. And the way the sheep-like “fans” turned on both(both were extremely popular for awhile) because the media told them to was similar too.

Sadly, a few SU fans even joined in both times too.
I'm sure NBA execs paid him a quarter billion dollars b/c they're dummies and he was never that good. Ridiculous. He carried the knicks offensively. They wouldn't spend the money to build around him (Edit: Golden State has 3 superstars).

Last edited:
False. It’s well known he wasn’t ready to come off the bench a few months ago. There’s direct quotes from him out there.

Last year in OKC. People went nuts over that...not sure who OKC was supposed to start over him? Never heard any names. Regardless, he played a far lesser role there than in NY of Denver.

He may be past his prime and is nearing the end of his career but Houston is in for a rude awakening if they think this does anything for them. Like usual, the glamour of a D'Antoni offense wears quickly due to poor defense and a system that is very hard to get year in year out success. Not saying it's an awful system but it is not Golden State quality. I gave it a chance this year but you can just see the flaws once again showing as they have at MD's previous stops.

Someone else will pick Melo up as a bench piece or he hangs them up. Absolutely a HOFer who is underappreciated for what he did in Denver in a loaded west. The move to NY, injury etc etc and the window closed. Be funny if Golden State gave him a look...
Yeah, Melo is a convenient scapegoat in the short term for the Rockets, but their issues run a whole lot deeper than him not meshing yet.

Yah 13 years with a 20 ppg average

I'm sure NBA execs paid him a quarter billion dollars b/c they're dummies and he was never that good. Ridiculous. He carried the knicks offensively. They wouldn't spend the money to build around him.
Also keep in mind, Melo gave the Knicks organization the ability to hike ticket prices significantly season over season for years.

The national media attention Carmelo has gotten over the course of his career is strikingly similar to the way McNabb was treated. The negativity has always puzzled me.
Yup. The McNabb thing was so prevalent, from the reg fan, his fellow players, even Rush Limbaugh chimed in. This for a guy who’d made the Eagles relevant for the first time in decades.
And it started on draft day when philly fans infamously booed him, because they preferred Tim Couch & Akili Smith.
They both never won the big one- but for a few years, Melo and McNabb were Top 5 in their respective sports.

I would imagine in Denver too. They were a joke and nobody cared about them. He made them a solid perennial playoff team and brought a lot of excitement to that franchise.
I don't know that for sure but you're probably right.

Somewhere on this board lives a post I made with links mentioning ticket price increases the Knicks announced every season they had Melo.

Last edited:
Top 20 point scorer in NBA/ABA history, elevated Denver to perennial 50-game winner in strong conference, key contributor on multiple Olympic teams, played a zillion years. Most guys who get to the league would sign up for that.

If melo had suffered a career-ending injury five years ago, he’d be in the hall of fame now and the worm would have turned in his favor. The last few years did a number on his reputation, some of that his own fault. But his first ten years we’re genuinely great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom