Melo may be done in Houston | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Melo may be done in Houston

He may be past his prime and is nearing the end of his career but Houston is in for a rude awakening if they think this does anything for them. Like usual, the glamour of a D'Antoni offense wears quickly due to poor defense and a system that is very hard to get year in year out success. Not saying it's an awful system but it is not Golden State quality. I gave it a chance this year but you can just see the flaws once again showing as they have at MD's previous stops.

Someone else will pick Melo up as a bench piece or he hangs them up. Absolutely a HOFer who is underappreciated for what he did in Denver in a loaded west. The move to NY, injury etc etc and the window closed. Be funny if Golden State gave him a look...

Did you watch last year at all? They had the Warriors on the ropes until Paul's injury. There is plenty of evidence that his system works. He was a Amare' injury and a Nash injury away from beating the Spurs. He made it tough on them with Boris Diaw at center. Boris Diaw?? And BTW, the Warriors play almost the same offense.

Did you watch last year at all? They had the Warriors on the ropes until Paul's injury. There is plenty of evidence that his system works. He was a Amare' injury and a Nash injury away from beating the Spurs. He made it tough on them with Boris Diaw at center. Boris Diaw?? And BTW, the Warriors play almost the same offense.

His career has been a mixed bag. Don’t forget he coached Denver, NY, and LA too.

Yah 13 years with a 20 ppg average

I'm sure NBA execs paid him a quarter billion dollars b/c they're dummies and he was never that good. Ridiculous. He carried the knicks offensively. They wouldn't spend the money to build around him (Edit: Golden State has 3 superstars).

One small correction. The Knicks COULDN'T spend more money. They were over the cap, a good part of the reason was Melo. One thing about Dolan, he isn't shy about spending. Its very hard to put a winner together in the NBA just by spending. I can't really think of a team that was successful doing that.

Yup. And the way the sheep-like “fans” turned on both(both were extremely popular for awhile) because the media told them to was similar too.

Sadly, a few SU fans even joined in both times too.
More than a few, I'm afraid.

His career has been a mixed bag. Don’t forget he coached Denver, NY, and LA too.
Pretty well known that Melo ran D'Antoni out of NY...and then Lin. D'Antoni was starting to make headway. No doubt, MD need certain player to win in his system but it does work when he does.

Pretty well known that Melo ran D'Antoni out of NY...and then Lin. D'Antoni was starting to make headway. No doubt, MD need certain player to win in his system but it does work when he does.

Lin...lol. He’s been on 7 teams in 9 years. Who ran him out of all those other places? He’s an average player. If the Knicks really wanted him, they would’ve kept him.

I didn't say the system doesn't work at all. You didn't get my post at all. I said it doesn't work year after year and evidence supports it. He couldn't keep it going in Phoenix or NY and now you see issues already this year in Houston.

Yes they had GS on the ropes. So what? They didn't finish and it was one hell of a good year. They shot the ball really well. Now, the threes aren't falling as well, defenses are attacking the switches quickly and more effectively and it's not as good. The same thing happened in NY and Phoenix.

Houston is a mess right now. It has nothing to do with Melo and a lot to do with the system can't function when you aren't hitting your threes and defensive weaknesses are being exposed more.

Lin...lol. He’s been on 7 teams in 9 years. Who ran him out of all those other places? He’s an average player. If the Knicks really wanted him, they would’ve kept him.

He was playing well in NY and it was before all his injuries. He signed a poison pill contract with Houston the Knicks couldn't match. Melo resented the attention "linsanity" brought Lin. Come on, man. ANy NY fan or NBA fan knows this stuff. MD has said as much. Injuries killed his game. Still a nice role player given his age and injuries. Melo is and was what he is and was. Dynamic offensive player that should have retired 2-3 years ago.

He’s going to be a HOF. He’s been a great representative for SU. But, it’s been hard to watch him the past few years. Zero D, rapidly diminished athleticism, lift, terrible shot selection, not moving the ball, etc. It’s been a great run but can’t outrace Father Time. Nothing anti-Melo here just reality.

That's what I call a rapid decline. He went from all-NBA for a decade plus to afterthought.

He was playing well in NY and it was before all his injuries. He signed a poison pill contract with Houston the Knicks couldn't match. Melo resented the attention "linsanity" brought Lin. Come on, man. ANy NY fan or NBA fan knows this stuff. MD has said as much. Injuries killed his game. Still a nice role player given his age and injuries. Melo is and was what he is and was. Dynamic offensive player that should have retired 2-3 years ago.

Lin games played in the 4 years following leaving NY: 82, 71, 74, 78. His story had long been written before the injuries. Decent guard who had a fun hot 2 weeks in NY when everyone else was hurt.

3 years ago, Carmelo led the Knicks in points, rebounds, and assists(22, 8, and 4). 2 years ago he averaged 22 and 6.

You’re just throwing H0T Takes at the wall at this point and hoping something sticks.

And this is coming from a guy who LOVED Melo when he was on the Knicks. He held on a little too long. Not everyone can be Vince Carter.

Lin games played in the 4 years following leaving NY: 82, 71, 74, 78. His story had long been written before the injuries. Decent guard who had a fun hot 2 weeks in NY when everyone else was hurt.

3 years ago, Carmelo led the Knicks in points, rebounds, and assists(22, 8, and 4). 2 years ago he averaged 22 and 6.

You’re just throwing H0T Takes at the wall at this point and hoping something sticks.

Melo is a first ballot HOF and anyone who says differently doesn't know much about basketball. He's had a hell of a career. And now it's over, IMO.

That's what I call a rapid decline. He went from all-NBA for a decade plus to afterthought.

He was last all NBA in 2013(should’ve been in 2014 but whatever). That’s 6 seasons ago.

Gradual decline for awhile, while still being a good player.

But yeah, it can go quick and it has the last year or so.

A good part of the reason was Amare. Melo actually played and produced.
The biggest coaching error of D'Antoni's career was putting a bullet in Stoudemire's knees. Just did not manage his minutes appropriately.

If you want to look at why the Knicks struggled, that's where the conversation starts.

And this is coming from a guy who LOVED Melo when he was on the Knicks. He held on a little too long. Not everyone can be Vince Carter.

Vince averaged 10 ppg and shot 41% back in 2012. I think you’re judging them by different sets of standards.

Edit: Vince shot 33% in 16 mpg in a season that he played 66 games back in 2014-15!!?? I didn’t even realize that.

Melo shoots bad for 3 games and it’s a national story every time.

Last edited:
If melo had suffered a career-ending injury five years ago, he’d be in the hall of fame now and the worm would have turned in his favor. The last few years did a number on his reputation, some of that his own fault. But his first ten years we’re genuinely great.
The only place his reputation has taken a hit is with people who didn't care for him to begin with and were just looking to run him down. Those who view him more objectively understand and appreciate the magnitude of what he has accomplished on and off the court.

Numbers are just that. 3 years ago he played 40 games. 2 years ago he put up good numbers with an Efg % under 47%. That is horrible. About as bad as it gets for an NBA starter. I know what I've watched. He was not the same kind of pro as he was a college player. If he was, he's have come close to averaging a triple double. He had that kind of ability. You are entitled to your opinion. No point in continuing.

Numbers are just that. 3 years ago he played 40 games. 2 years ago he put up good numbers with an Efg % under 47%. That is horrible. About as bad as it gets for an NBA starter. I know what I've watched. He was not the same kind of pro as he was a college player. If he was, he's have come close to averaging a triple double. He had that kind of ability. You are entitled to your opinion. No point in continuing.

Your math is off. 40 game season was 4 years ago. His knee was shot. He hasn’t been as good since, but still had two more productive seasons in NY after it. Guess he should’ve walked out on 30 mill and quit instead of averaging 22 per game for the Knicks?

Averaged close to a triple double...lol! Yeah, that happens all the time!

He averaged 2 assists per game at SU, by the way.

If you don’t want to continue, then don’t.

There you have it: he was supposed to come close to averaging a triple double as an NBA small forward. Because that's what all the best players do, right?

Give it a rest.

Your math is off. 40 game season was 4 years ago. His knee was shot. He hasn’t been as good since, but still had two more productive seasons in NY after it. Guess he should’ve walked out on 30 mill and quit instead of averaging 22 per game for the Knicks?

Averaged close to a triple double...lol! Yeah, that happens all the time!

He averaged 2 assists per game at SU, by the way.

If you don’t want to continue, then don’t.

Is it about the money or the player. You're jumping all around. I probably watched 95+% of his NY games. I loved the guy at SU and wanted the Knicks to get him but he hasn't been a real good player for a few years. Tim Hardaway is putting up better numbers that Melo has put up in several years. Does that also make him a good player? No damn way..

Is it about the money or the player. You're jumping all around. I probably watched 95+% of his NY games. I loved the guy at SU and wanted the Knicks to get him but he hasn't been a real good player for a few years. Tim Hardaway is putting up better numbers that Melo has put up in several years. Does that also make him a good player? No damn way..

Does that mean he “should’ve retired”?

Name some guys who retired when they’re 31-32, getting paid 30 million, and putting up 22 ppg.

Vince averaged 10 ppg and shot 41% back in 2012. I think you’re judging them by different sets of standards.

Edit: Vince shot 33% in 16 mpg in a season that he played 66 games back in 2014-15!!?? I didn’t even realize that.

Melo shoots bad for 3 games and it’s a national story every time.

What I meant by that was: Vince at 40+ is still getting minutes, mentoring the young guys, and DUNKING! Not everyone can make that transition to the "elder statesman veteran" like VC did. It looks like Melo sure can't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom