Melo vs. MCW last night | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo vs. MCW last night

take note 1/3 good performances is not what superstars do

I told you he'd get his legs, but you wanted to harp on 2 bad games in his first action in 8 months, since knee surgery. We can do this all year then, since you want to be stupid about it. Guarantee he'll play well a lot more often than not.

SU fan upset that Melo had a great game? Weird.

his sample was one

No, my sample was like the decade or so that Melo has been an elite scorer in the NBA. Your sample was his first 2 games back off of knee surgery.

I actually watched the games. Didn't have his legs which is why he shot poorly, but other than that he looked fine.

I'll be sure to update you on his progress throughout the season.

I wonder at what point Jared Dudley started to feel stupid for shooting his mouth off about Melo last year (when Melo was out hurt, of course). Granted, he was on the bench watching for a lot of these, but the biggest one of the game was right in his face.

Can't wait for AA to come back. Melo finally has a "team" around him in NY.

How about Galloway!? Love this guy.

I wonder at what point Jared Dudley started to feel stupid for shooting his mouth off about Melo last year (when Melo was out hurt, of course). Granted, he was on the bench watching for a lot of these, but the biggest one of the game was right in his face.

Dudley answered Melo's two in his face with a nice front rim on his wide-open three. lol Hate that dude.

It amazes me that any basketball fan has a problem with Melo (let alone SU fans who should forever be in his corner after what he did for SU hoops). His whole game is skill-based, developed through hard work. Textbook jumper, footwork, jab steps, pump fakes, low post moves. He's a fundamentally sound technical marvel. His athleticism wasn't anything special even in his prime relative to other superstars in the league, and has largely been gone for years now.

His "doesn't pass or play defense" is among the most overplayed incorrect criticisms too. He's always in the top 10 SF's in assists per game, every season. He was 7th last year. The only SF's who get more than that are the "point forward" types...Lebron, Scottie Pippen, early career Grant Hill, etc. That's never been Melo's role on his team. He shoots a lot because he should, but he usually makes the right passes. Watch the games. He's never been a strong defender, but he's not lazy. He works hard and battles on that end. He's just not particularly gifted there. Defense involves talent too. People who simplify it to "good defenders try hard, and everyone else must be lazy" don't know what they're talking about.

I'm always amazed at how much criticism he gets from stupid fans and writers. I swear these people don't even watch the games.

It amazes me that any basketball fan has a problem with Melo (let alone SU fans who should forever be in his corner after what he did for SU hoops). His whole game is skill-based, developed through hard work. Textbook jumper, footwork, jab steps, pump fakes, low post moves. He's a fundamentally sound technical marvel. His athleticism wasn't anything special even in his prime relative to other superstars in the league, and has largely been gone for years now.

His "doesn't pass or play defense" is among the most overplayed incorrect criticisms too. He's always in the top 10 SF's in assists per game, every season. He was 7th last year. The only SF's who get more than that are the "point forward" types...Lebron, Scottie Pippen, early career Grant Hill, etc. That's never been Melo's role on his team. He shoots a lot because he should, but he usually makes the right passes. Watch the games. He's never been a strong defender, but he's not lazy. He works hard and battles on that end. He's just not particularly gifted there. Defense involves talent too. People who simplify it to "good defenders try hard, and everyone else must be lazy" don't know what they're talking about.

I'm always amazed at how much criticism he gets from stupid fans and writers. I swear these people don't even watch the games.
He is one of the most versatile, prolific and consistent scorers in the history of the game and has already secured a spot in Springfield based on his body of work at SU, in the NBA and as an Olympian. His teams, with few exceptions, have won. But yeah, you don't have to look too hard to find his critics.

Bomani Jones was sticking up for Melo big time the other day. He went as far to say Melo is te one guy who hasn't played with other Hall of farmers in their prime. He said the guy that should get criticism but doesn't as much is D. Rose.

Cusefan0307 said:
Bomani Jones was sticking up for Melo big time the other day. He went as far to say Melo is te one guy who hasn't played with other Hall of farmers in their prime. He said the guy that should get criticism but doesn't as much is D. Rose.

When Rose is actually playing which isn't too often. And yes I know Melo was hurt last year but not EVERY year.

The thing with the assists for Melo is he has the ball a ton so by virtue of that he's going to be ok in raw assist numbers. if you go back to his last full season, 2013-14, there were 62 qualified SF; Melo was 47th in assist rate. The year prior to that, he was 61 out of 65. Year before that, 29 out of 64, so better, but he gets assists more because he has the ball in his hands a lot than anything else. Which is fine, he's a really gifted scorer.

i was too busy at the Mets game on saturday night, so I didn't see the Knicks at all. Sounded like Melo was awesome. I really think their best bet might be for Melo to be great and work out a trade to a contender in a few months.

The thing with the assists for Melo is he has the ball a ton so by virtue of that he's going to be ok in raw assist numbers. if you go back to his last full season, 2013-14, there were 62 qualified SF; Melo was 47th in assist rate. The year prior to that, he was 61 out of 65. Year before that, 29 out of 64, so better, but he gets assists more because he has the ball in his hands a lot than anything else. Which is fine, he's a really gifted scorer.

i was too busy at the Mets game on saturday night, so I didn't see the Knicks at all. Sounded like Melo was awesome. I really think their best bet might be for Melo to be great and work out a trade to a contender in a few months.
Out of curiosity, does the assist rate count for teammates who throw bricks and ruin what would be more assists? I can't even keep track of how many games I watched where Melo passes the ball to a spot up shooter and they miss.

So are we as Syracuse fans allowed to critique Melo as a an NBA player? If no, please explain where the achievement line is drawn. Final Four? Elite Eight? Chris McCullough-caliber irrelevance?

Asking for a friend.

Out of curiosity, does the assist rate count for teammates who throw bricks and ruin what would be more assists? I can't even keep track of how many games I watched where Melo passes the ball to a spot up shooter and they miss.

No, only actual assists. Not sure where he would stand compared to other players in that metric, which I'm sure is tracked now, somehow.

No, only actual assists. Not sure where he would stand compared to other players in that metric, which I'm sure is tracked now, somehow.
That (supporting cast) has definitely been an issue in the past. But if early games are any indication, this year might be better. If you saw the Kicks play (and beat) the Wizards on the road the other night, Fisher and co. have put together a pretty good starting 5 and a very good second rotation. I'm still not a huge fan of the triangle, and it's not even clear that the team is running triangle that often (I saw lots of P/R). Either way, so far, the results seem promising.

Last edited:
That (supporting cast) has definitely been an issue in the past. But if early games are any indication, this year might be better. If you saw the Kicks play (and beat) the Wizards on the road the other night, Fisher and co. have put together a pretty good starting 5 and a very good second rotation. I'm still not a huge fan of the triangle, and it's not even clear that the team is running triangle all the time (I saw lots of P/R). Either way, so far, the results seem promising.
Trying really hard not to get too hyped but they don't even have their starting SG playing yet (Afflalo)

Yeah like I said I didn't see Saturday at all, but they haven't done much triangle to my eye at all this year.

I think they'll be ok. maybe they could push for a 500 season but I think that would be a pretty good accomplishment to be honest.

Exactly, the majority of the time, you get assists in the NBA when guys on your team knock down jump shots.

So are we as Syracuse fans allowed to critique Melo as a an NBA player? If no, please explain where the achievement line is drawn. Final Four? Elite Eight? Chris McCullough-caliber irrelevance?

Asking for a friend.

Critique? Yes.

Be stupid and seem to celebrate poor shooting games by him, and claim he won't crack 40% on the season? No. That's dumb.

Critique? Yes.

Be stupid and seem to celebrate poor shooting games by him, and claim he won't crack 40% on the season? No. That's dumb.

Meh. Fair enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom