Mess at Baylor continues to smell | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Mess at Baylor continues to smell

Waco
b9ee657a0c24fa87b5d5733accad1767.jpg

The Scoop - Tuesday December 6, 2016 - FootballScoop

Baylor:
Last night we wrote that Baylor and A-State head coach Blake Anderson had begun negotiating, noting that the deal is not done. Reps have since alerted us to contract language in Anderson’s contract with A-State precluding him from being able to engage in direct talks without prior consent which they had not sought as of last night. Our understanding is that several coaches, typically through their agents, have discussed terms of a deal with Baylor only to have the deal then fizzle. Will update as more transpires.

Well, this effectively kills any (tiny) chance he may have had of ever coaching again, at least at the D1 level. No one is going to hire someone who sued his former employer, especially with what he was fired over.

Well, this effectively kills any (tiny) chance he may have had of ever coaching again, at least at the D1 level. No one is going to hire someone who sued his former employer, especially with what he was fired over.

Agree ... Unless something more nefarious comes out in the wash with people above him

Agree ... Unless something more nefarious comes out in the wash with people above him
Agreed. Not sure I buy the 'conspiracy' thing, but if there's anything to it, he could get a low-level chance.

He needs to just go away

For those following this closer than I, did he know or he didn't know? What do we know?

For those following this closer than I, did he know or he didn't know? What do we know?
From what I have read, a coach or coaches from the women's teams of the victims went to him to inform him what was going on and also that they (the other coach) was informing the AD and University, it was a courtesy call and he said go for it. So as he understood it, he didn't have to inform them because it should have already been done (by other coaches). Then the admin folks in the AD and school buried it.

As I understand it, he had no knowledge until that point and after things came to light he basically said what I did above but felt he could have done more after being made aware.

EDIT - The big thing here is that the AD and the Administration did nothing after being informed and are laying it all on Briles. Not saying he did enough or couldn't have done more because he could have, problem here is that the admin already knew, him informing them multiple times most likely would have fallen on deaf ears within the school. He should have gone to Authorities, just like the other coach should have, just like the admin should have, like anyone should have.

This is way more on the school than Briles and they are trying to make him the scapegoat.

Last edited:
I still don't understand why the victims, and their families, didn't "go to the authorities".

I still don't understand why the victims, and their families, didn't "go to the authorities".
Schools want to keep their s e x assault stats low and will encourage students to use the campus police, often which are not as fully trained as regular police in these matters.

To be sure, there are issues of morning after regret that get reported as an assault, and this they would want to discourage, but there is simply no excuse for failing to investigate any assault claim to determine whether it is an actual assault or not. Burying the matter will only do more harm, and to more people.

NOTE: This is an over-simplified explanation. The issues are much deeper and I am in no way approving of a failure to investigate a claim of assault, even in morning after regrets. Do the investigation, let the chips fall and take corrective action. Learn from it and make improvements.