Mess at Baylor continues to smell | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Mess at Baylor continues to smell

I watch a decent amount of women's ball and never liked Kim Mulkey. I have no problem with strong, intense women - Pat Summit is one of my all time favorite coaches. But there is just something unlikable about Kim's intensity as opposed to Pat's. I just had a sense that Kim's unlikableness carried off the court too and now I am even more sure about it. That is just deplorable for a leading woman voice at the university to make those comments.

From what I have read, a coach or coaches from the women's teams of the victims went to him to inform him what was going on and also that they (the other coach) was informing the AD and University, it was a courtesy call and he said go for it. So as he understood it, he didn't have to inform them because it should have already been done (by other coaches). Then the admin folks in the AD and school buried it.

As I understand it, he had no knowledge until that point and after things came to light he basically said what I did above but felt he could have done more after being made aware.

EDIT - The big thing here is that the AD and the Administration did nothing after being informed and are laying it all on Briles. Not saying he did enough or couldn't have done more because he could have, problem here is that the admin already knew, him informing them multiple times most likely would have fallen on deaf ears within the school. He should have gone to Authorities, just like the other coach should have, just like the admin should have, like anyone should have.

This is way more on the school than Briles and they are trying to make him the scapegoat.

No, he's covering his @ss which should be no surprise. He was a lot more knowledgeable than you're giving him credit for and maybe more knowledgeable than we'll ever know.

Art Briles' text messages reveal he knew about Baylor scandal that is getting worse each day | SportsDay

* hyperlink title does not fit story once you click on it but link goes to correct story, you'll see what I mean if you read hyperlink and then story title.

"In a text to one of his assistants, Briles called a female student athlete "a "fool" for reporting a football player to police because he'd brandished a gun at her.

Or this: In another text, he implied that a football player needed no discipline after reportedly exposing himself to a masseuse, insinuating that the woman might be a stripper.

Or this: In still another text, he told then athletic director Ian McCaw that Waco police would keep an incident involving a player "quiet," a development that McCaw called "great."

Or this: Confronted with a list of five players who'd reportedly gang-raped a female student athlete, Briles said, "Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?"

I watch a decent amount of women's ball and never liked Kim Mulkey. I have no problem with strong, intense women - Pat Summit is one of my all time favorite coaches. But there is just something unlikable about Kim's intensity as opposed to Pat's. I just had a sense that Kim's unlikableness carried off the court too and now I am even more sure about it. That is just deplorable for a leading woman voice at the university to make those comments.
With respect to the backlash, maybe she should just sit back and enjoy it.

No, he's covering his @ss which should be no surprise. He was a lot more knowledgeable than you're giving him credit for and maybe more knowledgeable than we'll ever know.

Art Briles' text messages reveal he knew about Baylor scandal that is getting worse each day | SportsDay

* hyperlink title does not fit story once you click on it but link goes to correct story, you'll see what I mean if you read hyperlink and then story title.

"In a text to one of his assistants, Briles called a female student athlete "a "fool" for reporting a football player to police because he'd brandished a gun at her.

Or this: In another text, he implied that a football player needed no discipline after reportedly exposing himself to a masseuse, insinuating that the woman might be a stripper.

Or this: In still another text, he told then athletic director Ian McCaw that Waco police would keep an incident involving a player "quiet," a development that McCaw called "great."

Or this: Confronted with a list of five players who'd reportedly gang-raped a female student athlete, Briles said, "Those are some bad dudes. Why was she around those guys?"
You are responding to a post from 3 months ago, a lot has changed since then. Information has been pulled out of people through the court system, folks are starting to cover their asses and throw others under the bus.

Both Briles and the school are equally responsible and culpable for that culture.

wow..."Head coaches are sometimes protected, in certain instances, from minor issues," Briles said then. "Now, major issues I was always made aware of."

Are there any missing females still missing and would Briles know anything about them?

wow..."Head coaches are sometimes protected, in certain instances, from minor issues," Briles said then. "Now, major issues I was always made aware of."

Are there any missing females still missing and would Briles know anything about them?

She isnt protected here. She cane off as an insensitive bag. And you guys know what i mean. Not the school to preach like that kim . Wow, she obviously has balls. Enough said.

And while the rest of the country is shocked and outraged aver Mulkey's comment the Waco Sports page headline is "Mulkey Says Baylor is Best Damn School in the Country!" There must be a lot of Branch Davidians still down there in Wackoland! Where's Janet Reno when we need her?

Wow, since when did y'all join the PC police? Yeah, "punch them in the mouth" was a poor choice of words, but has a specific (non-violent) meaning in the right context and in the context she used it. Gruff and regrettable, but she's a Type A.

As for "tired of hearing about it", I'm pretty sure we all felt that way about the constant Bernie Fine media jabs 3 months later.

Hope you've all been able to get your panties unbunched in the last couple days.

This post in no way condones violence against women. And neither does Kim Mulkey.

Wow, since when did y'all join the PC police? Yeah, "punch them in the mouth" was a poor choice of words, but has a specific (non-violent) meaning in the right context and in the context she used it. Gruff and regrettable, but she's a Type A.

As for "tired of hearing about it", I'm pretty sure we all felt that way about the constant Bernie Fine media jabs 3 months later.

Hope you've all been able to get your panties unbunched in the last couple days.

This post in no way condones violence against women. And neither does Kim Mulkey.
There is literally nothing I agree with in this post.

Why is it that Bernie Fine always comes up in topics like these? The situations are nothing alike. Of course we got sick of hearing about it because it was a manufactured story that took advantage of the Sandusky mess at Penn State. This is a completely disgusting number of sexual assaults that took place over a period of 4 years and led to multiple firings/resignations so I'm not sure what Bernie Fine has to do with anything.

C58ZRFEWUAAUU9z.jpg

Amazing

C58ZRFEWUAAUU9z.jpg

Amazing
Truly. Seems like a CYA statement, more than anything else. IMO, there's just no conceivable way he did not know about most of this. Just no way.

Good ol' Texas Trailer trash! Briles, Mulkey and the rest of that athletic department!

It's like some sort of disease that can't be eradicated.
It's deep rooted. Much of the athletic department has been cleaned out and so has the president. The real problem lies with the Board of Trustees that refused to do anything about it until the media forced their hand.

It's deep rooted. Much of the athletic department has been cleaned out and so has the president. The real problem lies with the Board of Trustees that refused to do anything about it until the media forced their hand.

Yeah, but this guy was just hired a month ago. No association with the former department or staff. It's like a virus hit him as soon as he entered the facility.

I don't even know what to say. except nuke that entire athletic department. Now.