Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans

The problem with pitching to contact is that the Mets have a poor defense.

These ain't Malachi's at Syracuse's Mets.

Last night's game was exactly the type of game last years Mets team would have lost. In fact this year's version of the team had no business winning a mid-April game like this. They probably got into Miami really really early yesterday morning from Philly after what was a pretty hard fought game. Then they immediately went down 4-0 in the bottom of the first off of a grand slam. Last year's Mets team and in fact most teams in baseball would have started to played to live to fight another day. But these guy immediately tie the game up again in the top of the 2nd. Then in the middle innings the mets go up 7-4 only to see their starter and bullpen not only cough up the lead but let the Marlins take the lead. Okay, now Montero is in the game and the Marlins have the lead... game over right? Montero has sucked, the fans know it and the Mets players know it , so now its really time to pack it in right? Nope not these Mets, they keep battling and having good, solid at bats until in the 8th led by Conforto and D'arnaud they tie the game up. Then they keep battling and battling, putting pressure on the Marlins pitcher almost every inn until D'arnaud launches a homer in the 16th freaking inning after catching a whole game of baseball. Are you kidding me.

Lots of heroes for the Mets but I want to specifically call out
- Montero for really scrapping and somehow preventing any runs from getting home even though he clearly doesn't have the mental strength to pitch in the bigs
- Reed - for continuing to be a beast
- Smoker for going 3
- D'arnaud for an amazing all hitting performance. I've knocked him this past week but it looks like he's getting his together.
- and the best for last Robles for appearing the 4th night in a row, after giving up a grand slam in his previous appearance and shutting down the Marlins for 2 and closing them out. This again shows that Robles is a BEAST when he comes in with the bases empty... come on Collins wake up.

I know I've read concerns that they can't keep up this type of hitting but two counter points:
1. They don't have to sustain this type of hitting because 4 out of 5 nights 3 to 4 runs and game is over
2. The home runs aren't sustainable (I think?) but the at bat approaches these guys are taking is. Everyone is battling every at bat and they are actually playing to get on base not just get a homer. Bruce with a bunt? Are you kidding me?

Still concerned about Grandy and Walker... it might be time to get Conforto and Flores some extended run.

Really need Thor to go 8 innings or even a complete game tonight. As the pen is toast.

Last edited:
pitch counts! :mad:

DeGrom strikes out the side in the 7th so they got to "Down the Pipe" Salas for the 8th because DeGrom has thrown 97 pitches. Yelich and Stanton go back to back and we're down 4-5 instead of up 4-2. :oops:

"But this will help them in September." :rolleyes:

So would a win.

Just read the entire thread.

The highlight, undoubtedly, is Alsacs' cousin dating Thor. They make a lovely couple and the best of luck to them.

The rest is kind of like being in a sports bar listening to guys who never played baseball past high school or possibly college critique every single play on the field.

Less Terry bashing than I expected though. So there's hope.

Just read the entire thread.

The highlight, undoubtedly, is Alsacs' cousin dating Thor. They make a lovely couple and the best of luck to them.

The rest is kind of like being in a sports bar listening to guys who never played baseball past high school or possibly college critique every single play on the field.

Less Terry bashing than I expected though. So there's hope.

I wonder if the pitch count was Collins' idea, Warthen's or management's.

Not a fan of the hook on Degrom last night. To say the least

I hope Syndergaard isn't starting in Miami after the IG pictures I saw.

I hope Syndergaard isn't starting in Miami after the IG pictures I saw.

:noidea:

Syndergaard already pitched in Miami and what photos are you talking about?

FWIW: The Mets are 2-4 against the Marlins and 6-1 vs. everybody else so far.

My cousin posted some pictures on her IG from last night in Miami. She and Noah together out after the game.

Getting no hit by a scrub, typical Mets, I am getting so sick of looking at Reyes, call up Rosario and move Cabrera to 3rd.

It's scary as HELL that Jeter is thinking of buying the current ownership out, either with or without partners. That man knows baseball and also hasn't alienated people like the current management has.

The Mets and Nationals will be fighting for the wild card in perpetuity.

I wonder if the pitch count was Collins' idea, Warthen's or management's.
I think it's the consensus throughout baseball with all the injuries.

There's no way to know if the starter would have imploded in the 8th inning. Our pen is pretty sorry though and a YUUUGGEEE reason is because of Familia being a jackass. But last year the pen was iffy too.

Either you move a starter into the pen (they don't have that luxury with the injured starters) or you trade one of our surplus outfielders for a good reliever. Any smart team would hold out for Conforto.

It's scary as HELL that Jeter is thinking of buying the current ownership out, either with or without partners. That man knows baseball and also hasn't alienated people like the current management has.

The Mets and Nationals will be fighting for the wild card in perpetuity.

I'm not worried about the Marlins, their pitching is a mess.

I'm not worried about the Marlins, their pitching is a mess.
This season maybe. But if Jeter takes over the team, with like minded investors, you could be talking potential dynasty. Without the batsheet factor of George Steinbrenner.

And in our division.

This season maybe. But if Jeter takes over the team, with like minded investors, you could be talking potential dynasty. Without the batsheet factor of George Steinbrenner.

And in our division.

it takes more than a smart owner to create a dynasty. And the Florida teams have never been well-supported by the fans.

Called third strikes. :mad:

I've seen far too many of them late in games for the Mets. You can't win the game with the bat on your shoulder. Nobody's that wild.

I think it's the consensus throughout baseball with all the injuries.

There's no way to know if the starter would have imploded in the 8th inning. Our pen is pretty sorry though and a YUUUGGEEE reason is because of Familia being a jackass. But last year the pen was iffy too.

Either you move a starter into the pen (they don't have that luxury with the injured starters) or you trade one of our surplus outfielders for a good reliever. Any smart team would hold out for Conforto.

No there isn't. But you know how well he's been pitching. Stirking out the side in the 7th is pretty impressive.

And the bullpen is a box o' chocolates.

Forrest%252520Gump%252520Life%252520is%252520like%252520a%252520box%252520of%252520chocolates%252520quote-8x6%25255B1%25255D.jpg

And in our division.

Jeter was a great player, that doesn't mean he is going to be a great owner that starts spending, the Marlins haven't spent money in years, and they don't have a fan base that supports them.

Pic1.jpg

I hope he isn't pitching tomorrow.

No there isn't. But you know how well he's been pitching. Stirking out the side in the 7th is pretty impressive.

And the bullpen is a box o' chocolates.

Forrest%252520Gump%252520Life%252520is%252520like%252520a%252520box%252520of%252520chocolates%252520quote-8x6%25255B1%25255D.jpg
Yes. And life's a learning experience. So Terry may be more inclined to let him go 8 in the future.

(I really despise that movie you are citing!)

Jeter was a great player, that doesn't mean he is going to be a great owner that starts spending, the Marlins haven't spent money in years, and they don't have a fan base that supports them.
That will make the difference IMO. Jeter by all accounts is a mensch and why would he invest in a team only to be a miser?

The fans will be more inclined to come if ownership doesn't sell off literally half the team within three months of a WS win! That's DJT level greed and arrogance. Even George Steinbrenner had basic baseball savvy and pride in ownership that he would spend what he needed to and then some for a winning team. I hated that baseball let him get away with abusing the salary cap plus he was a jerk but he made Yankees fans happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom