Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2017 - Calling all Mets fans

I'm probably the only one who scanned the picture to see if I could get a look at how Thor's fingernail is doing.

This was Friday night after his start I take it?

I'm probably the only one who scanned the picture to see if I could get a look at how Thor's fingernail is doing.

This was Friday night after his start I take it?
That photo is from last night. I am not going to post the Saturday night ones.
This one is from Friday. Having a legit superstar athlete as a potential family member is cool.
17818542_135469623656738_673641272207998976_n.jpeg

That photo is from last night. I am not going to post the Saturday night ones.
This one is from Friday. Having a legit superstar athlete as a potential family member is cool.
View attachment 95421

Being a legit superstar athlete doesn't seem too bad either.

Going into the Marlins series I thought best case was a split but I was expecting a 1-3 loss and unfortunately that's what happened. For whatever reason The Marlins seem to have our number... our hitters really seem to struggle against the Marlins pitching staff and their hitters do more than an average amount of damage to our pitching staff. things were a bit different in this series however because the offense did enough to win all 4 games and the starters did enough to win all 3 out of the 4 games... ironically the one game that was a win was the one where the starter got blown up. Anyways the bullpen cost us 3 games and won us 1 game. You never want to lose three games in a row when you are running out Thor, deGrom and Harvey but I'll give the team a mulligan as they had shots to win each of the games. The problem in this series was Wheeler not being able to go past the 5th in Philly followed by Gsellman implosion followed by Thor having to leave early because of his finger nails really overtaxed the bullpen. Hopefully with Familia coming back this week that will start to fix itself but the reality is that i don't think Edgin and Montero are guys to put in a game that the Mets can win and you can't put Robles in a game if there are men on base. Not sure what the answer is here but running out Blevins and Salas every game is clearly not the right way to go. I think Smoker needs the opportunity to get in games earlier but it seems like Collins and Werthen don't trust him yet. The team will be fine moving forward but the starters need to stay in some games or the offense needs to give the bullpen a bigger cushion.

I'm not going to criticize Collins for the deGrom move but I'm not sure Salas was the guy there but then again Salas has been perfect so who know that would happen. What I will criticize Collins for is not getting Conforto some freaking playing time. Not sure why he didn't start against a right hander in the 12th game in 12 days, in a day game following a night game. Grandy is doing nothing right now and Conforto needs playing time. I think its time for Anderson to step in here.. or maybe the orders came down from Sandy to play Grandy so much... no idea. But that whole situation is ridiculous.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again... The Marlins are a better team than the Mets head to head. They have better position players top to bottom, a better manager and a better pen. The only area where the Mets are better is with the starting pitchers. Luckily starting pitching will get the Mets to a better overall record than the Marlins but we're going to have a losing record to them this year.

Being a legit superstar athlete doesn't seem too bad either.
And being a presumably very talented athlete as a woman, even if to no special acclaim.

What is her sport or sports?

And being a presumably very talented athlete as a woman, even if to no special acclaim.

What is her sport or sports?
She played soccer at Boston University.
In HS she was a stud tennis player as well.

She played soccer at Boston University.
In HS she was a stud tennis player as well.
Very nice!

Tennis is lucrative of course but OMG the level you have to be at to get the $; there are not many Williams sisters around who maintain the winning edge into their mid 30s. (Venus would do better I think but for her autoimmune disease. It's incredible that she is still competing much less in the top 20 at 36 I think!).

Soccer for men but especially women in the US isn't going to pay much.

So dating Thor plus doing whatever she majored in will hopefully give her a very nice lifestyle and she seems very pleasant so why not?

The rest is kind of like being in a sports bar listening to guys who never played baseball past high school or possibly college critique every single play on the field.
I think you just described very online forum dedicated to sports in the world... lol

To make matters worse I never played baseball past tee-ball... I took a line drive to the face as a pitcher when I was 10 or so and never really played again after that. I had a strong arm but zero control and I couldn't hit worth . I'm much better at basketball/football/soccer but the older I get the more I appreciate baseball. I think it's because as I grow a bit older and my family gets bigger and life gets crazier I find that I enjoy the slow pace of baseball, the chess match within the game and getting to know the team and the announcers over a 162 game season. It also helps that you can have a baseball game on in the background and be doing something else while its on... much harder to do with other sports.

I think you just described very online forum dedicated to sports in the world... lol

To make matters worse I never played baseball past tee-ball... I took a line drive to the face as a pitcher when I was 10 or so and never really played again after that. I had a strong arm but zero control and I couldn't hit worth . I'm much better at basketball/football/soccer but the older I get the more I appreciate baseball. I think it's because as I grow a bit older and my family gets bigger and life gets crazier I find that I enjoy the slow pace of baseball, the chess match within the game and getting to know the team and the announcers over a 162 game season. It also helps that you can have a baseball game on in the background and be doing something else while its on... much harder to do with other sports.
I've only played softball in the annual court clerks vs court officers game, which was a tradition for at least 20 years and probably still goes on.

And yes, I got a few hits during the years, and every time I did I would slide into 1st base. Not just for the comic relief but because I've been a slow runner ever since childhood and it was the only way to get to the bag ahead of the throw.

And naturally even if I was out, as long as it was close I got the base. Especially the last game I played in, which wasn't up in Van Cortland Park but near the courts where the Yankees keep ball fields. But I think they were under construction because of the new stadium and anyway I forgot that where we DID play was on concrete instead of grass. I got some ouchies from that slide plus a couple of holes in the jeans!

Reyes is having a real brain fart day. The problem is who would replace him from the minors?

Or do you release him based on a little more than a dozen games and try to trade for someone?

Considering that the Mets indulged that player, the first baseman I think, (I'm blocked about his name, probably because if I knew it and ever met him I'd STILL curse him out!) who had the lowest season average of anyone with more than 300 at bats in 100 years not too many seasons ago, I'm reluctant to let go of Reyes after less than 2 dozen games when there's no heir apparent. And Wright doesn't ever seem to be able to come back.

Reyes is having a real brain fart day. The problem is who would replace him from the minors?

Or do you release him based on a little more than a dozen games and try to trade for someone?

Considering that the Mets indulged that player, the first baseman I think, (I'm blocked about his name, probably because if I knew it and ever met him I'd STILL curse him out!) who had the lowest season average of anyone with more than 300 at bats in 100 years not too many seasons ago, I'm reluctant to let go of Reyes after less than 2 dozen games when there's no heir apparent. And Wright doesn't ever seem to be able to come back.

He is a disaster, now he is bringing it into the field, its time to bring up Rosario, who is killing it in the minors, and move Cabrera to third.

He is a disaster, now he is bringing it into the field, its time to bring up Rosario, who is killing it in the minors, and move Cabrera to third.
You may be right. I was surprised he was back this season because I thought he had said he was retiring before he ended up like Wright, a physical wreck. I presume he changed his mind not just for $ but because he felt the team needed him.

Do you mean Arroyo in Las Vegas to replace Reyes? I don't see a Rosario either in Vegas or Binghamton. The thing that's worrisome about Vegas position players is so many tend to hit over.400 there and below.250 or even.200 in the majors. That's been the case the past few years.

No one I can see who is an infielder other than Arroyo is hitting decently.

And who was that terrible player I mentioned? I am thinking Ike Davis but also that he's not the culprit.

You may be right. I was surprised he was back this season because I thought he had said he was retiring before he ended up like Wright, a physical wreck. I presume he changed his mind not just for $ but because he felt the team needed him.

Do you mean Arroyo in Las Vegas to replace Reyes? I don't see a Rosario either in Vegas or Binghamton. The thing that's worrisome about Vegas position players is so many tend to hit over.400 there and below.250 or even.200 in the majors. That's been the case the past few years.

No one I can see who is an infielder other than Arroyo is hitting decently.

And who was that terrible player I mentioned? I am thinking Ike Davis but also that he's not the culprit.
He is talking about Amed Rosario who is the top prospect in baseball and plays in Vegas at short stop. He is Reyes with less speed more power I think. Would love to see him in the majors but I don't think Alderson calls him up until that super 2 deadline or whatever it's called passes so the Mets can maximize contract controlled years. He did the same thing with Syndegaard and Matt.

For the contract reasons and the fact that, as you pointed out, the Mets never give up on a player I think Reyes will be around until July at least.

I think beteeen the hitting and the pitching the Mets will be in position to win a lot more than they lose but it looks like the middle relief is a HUGE problem. It's really too bad Colon prioritized being a starter over sticking with the Mets because he would have been perfect. They bet on Montero but now getting him in the game is basically Terry waving a white flag. Edgin seems about the same. Blevins and Salas are good but overworked. You never know what you are getting with Robles. I think Alderson tries to keep it together until we figure out if Matz and Lugo can make it back this year. Getting those back two pushes Gsellman and Lugo to the pen which should stabilize things. Most importantly Familia is back this week and that's huge help. Still believe Collins can't manage a pen.

If things keep this route I'm not sure the Mets make any big moves during the season and might become sellers. Bruce, Grandy, Cabrera all could go. So could Walker but I'm not sure who wants him. But I think the Mets still win 90 so I'm not too worried.

I would have liked to see the Mets add another reliever (or three) in the winter. The pen will look better with Familia back, but I think it's still short an arm.

I think the first move to replace Reyes is to play Flores some more at third. I think Rosario is a little more down the line.

Also-
I'm 0-2 this year in attending games. Both games they've lost in extra innings and it's been brutally cold. Good times.

He is talking about Amed Rosario who is the top prospect in baseball and plays in Vegas at short stop. He is Reyes with less speed more power I think. Would love to see him in the majors but I don't think Alderson calls him up until that super 2 deadline or whatever it's called passes so the Mets can maximize contract controlled years. He did the same thing with Syndegaard and Matt.

For the contract reasons and the fact that, as you pointed out, the Mets never give up on a player I think Reyes will be around until July at least.

I think beteeen the hitting and the pitching the Mets will be in position to win a lot more than they lose but it looks like the middle relief is a HUGE problem. It's really too bad Colon prioritized being a starter over sticking with the Mets because he would have been perfect. They bet on Montero but now getting him in the game is basically Terry waving a white flag. Edgin seems about the same. Blevins and Salas are good but overworked. You never know what you are getting with Robles. I think Alderson tries to keep it together until we figure out if Matz and Lugo can make it back this year. Getting those back two pushes Gsellman and Lugo to the pen which should stabilize things. Most importantly Familia is back this week and that's huge help. Still believe Collins can't manage a pen.

If things keep this route I'm not sure the Mets make any big moves during the season and might become sellers. Bruce, Grandy, Cabrera all could go. So could Walker but I'm not sure who wants him. But I think the Mets still win 90 so I'm not too worried.
I missed seeing him on the roster. I'll check again

The Mets formula: Quality Start + Home Runs + Bullpen holds on = win. Miss one of the three and it's a loss.

I would have liked to see the Mets add another reliever (or three) in the winter. The pen will look better with Familia back, but I think it's still short an arm.

I think the first move to replace Reyes is to play Flores some more at third. I think Rosario is a little more down the line.

I would have also, I still think the back end of the bp can be pretty good, as long as Salas' arm doesn't fall off.

The Mets formula: Quality Start + Home Runs + Bullpen holds on = win. Miss one of the three and it's a loss.
Thats the way Sandy built the team... I wish he would look at how the past few world series winners have won and realize that its the complete opposite of how the Mets are built.

So Sandy and the Mets made a bet that returning the entire injury-prone, all homer or nothing team would lead to better results this year. The early returns are not promising, especially on the injury-front. For the Nats D'arnaud, Cespedes, Duda, Flores are all out and Reyes might as will be out given how bad he's performing. Thank god for Bruce.

Not overreacting yet... but a sweep this weekend would be really really really bad.

So Sandy and the Mets made a bet that returning the entire injury-prone, all homer or nothing team would lead to better results this year. The early returns are not promising, especially on the injury-front. For the Nats D'arnaud, Cespedes, Duda, Flores are all out and Reyes might as will be out given how bad he's performing. Thank god for Bruce.

Not overreacting yet... but a sweep this weekend would be really really really bad.

A sweep this weekend would be very bad.

It's funny, the one guy i would have wanted to get rid of the most is Bruce, and he's been great. I think they'll be fine, but fine may not be enough to beat out the Nats.

Mets are hitting over 300 with men in scoring position, btw. Second best OPS in the majors. Just not enough guys on base.

This team is a mess right now, need to figure out a way to get one win, that would be like winning the series, the Nats are playing well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom