Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

considering they have lost the entire top 4 outfielders and 3 of the top 5 infielders in addition to almost the entire relief staff how they are still almost at .500 with this roster is crazy..

its a AAA team right now

One thing I've got to credit Brodie with:

One of the firs things I noticed about this year's SMets, (that's what I'm calling the Syracuse Mets), is that they had an outfield full of major league veterans. That seemed very strange. But he didn't know if or when Cepedes would be coming back and he knew that there would be injuries over along season so he warehoused Carlos Gomez,, Rajai Davis and Grégor Blanco here. Now, with Cepedes not coming back, Conforto and Nimmo injured and Broxton being a bust, the Mets could pull Gomez and Davis up from Syracuse and help them win games and maybe turn this season around.

Last edited:
0-4, 5-4, 5-5, 6-5, 6-6, 7-6, 7-9 and 8-9

then

0-1, 2-1, 2-3, 4-3, 4-4 and 5-4

I could enjoy it more if we weren't playing a team that had lost 9 in a row coming in.

Last edited:
Another loss for the Mets due to bad defense and a terrible pen. The D had opportunities to get DeGrom out of trouble with a lot fewer pitches so he could have gone longer than 5. The bullpen was it’s usual gas can self.

The whole offseason planning makes no sense.

Another loss for the Mets due to bad defense and a terrible pen. The D had opportunities to get DeGrom out of trouble with a lot fewer pitches so he could have gone longer than 5. The bullpen was it’s usual gas can self.

The whole offseason planning makes no sense.

The bullpen actually had a good stretch for a while there but the league seems to have adjusted to what the "Boys form Syracuse" were doing.

A rough night in LA for Mr. Diaz:

Dodgers - Bottom 9th (Mets lead 8-5)

DÍAZ PITCHING FOR NYM

Pederson homered to right center (392 feet). 8-6

Muncy homered to right (346 feet). 8-7

Turner doubled to left.

Bellinger doubled to right center, Turner scored. 8-8

Seager intentionally walked.

Beaty reached on infield single to shortstop, Seager to second, Bellinger to third.

Verdugo hit sacrifice fly to left, Bellinger scored. 8-9

Hey! At least he got one out! :rolleyes:

A rough night in LA for Mr. Diaz:

Dodgers - Bottom 9th (Mets lead 8-5)

DÍAZ PITCHING FOR NYM

Pederson homered to right center (392 feet). 8-6

Muncy homered to right (346 feet). 8-7

Turner doubled to left.

Bellinger doubled to right center, Turner scored. 8-8

Seager intentionally walked.

Beaty reached on infield single to shortstop, Seager to second, Bellinger to third.

Verdugo hit sacrifice fly to left, Bellinger scored. 8-9

Hey! At least he got one out! :rolleyes:

That was an epic fail that I unfortunately stayed up to watch.

Given how volatile relievers are year over year, the whole premise was dumb in the first place. Typical Mets incompetence.

If you were the general manager, what would the Mets' roster look like right now?

If you were the general manager, what would the Mets' roster look like right now?
Interesting question...
- I would have re-signed DeGrom
- traded Thor for high level prospects
- reupped Wheeler
- gone all in for Machado: we need someone to anchor the lineup
- move Rosario to 2nd and let McNeil play 3rd
- signed a sp like Miley or someone of that ilk and push Vargas to long relief
- signed ottavino instead of Familia and one other reliever at that same level
- signed Kimbrel or Britton to be closer
There are probably still holes.

Interesting question...
- I would have re-signed DeGrom
- traded Thor for high level prospects
- reupped Wheeler
- gone all in for Machado: we need someone to anchor the lineup
- move Rosario to 2nd and let McNeil play 3rd
- signed a sp like Miley or someone of that ilk and push Vargas to long relief
- signed ottavino instead of Familia and one other reliever at that same level
- signed Kimbrel or Britton to be closer
There are probably still holes.

I just think a lot of the time it's not the wrong guy being on the roster but rather the right guy not getting the job done in a specific instance. In this series, Bashlor and Zamora had been pitching well and Diaz is certainly a quality closer but they both had terrible innings that ruined games. The Mets could have been going for the sweep last night. they'd been scoring plenty of runs when they just ran into the major league ERA leader. Diaz's melt-down was particularly weird because, (according to last night's announcers: I stayed up for that game but not for game 3), he was ahead in the count on ever batter he faced, sometimes 0-2. I wonder if some sign stealing was going one there.

I think the Mets have plenty of talented players and there's still time to make something of this season. they just have to get everyone consistently performing to their abilities. it hasn't happened yet. In 2015 the Mets meandered through the first four months of the season and suddenly put it together at the end of July. I'd prefer they not wait until then, (and they might go in to garage sale mode if it takes that long), but It could happen again.

Wanting a whole new roster isn't always the answer.

I just think a lot of the time it's not the wrong guy being on the roster but rather the right guy not getting the job done in a specific instance. In this series, Bashlor and Zamora had been pitching well and Diaz is certainly a quality closer but they both had terrible innings that ruined games. The Mets could have been going for the sweep last night. they'd been scoring plenty of runs when they just ran into the major league ERA leader. Diaz's melt-down was particularly weird because, (according to last night's announcers: I stayed up for that game but not for game 3), he was ahead in the count on ever batter he faced, sometimes 0-2. I wonder if some sign stealing was going one there.

I think the Mets have plenty of talented players and there's still time to make something of this season. they just have to get everyone consistently performing to their abilities. it hasn't happened yet. In 2015 the Mets meandered through the first four months of the season and suddenly put it together at the end of July. I'd prefer they not wait until then, (and they might go in to garage sale mode if it takes that long), but It could happen again.

Wanting a whole new roster isn't always the answer.
I did stay up to watch a lot of the game... interestingly enough Noah was also going through the same thing. He would get up 0-2 and then could not get the guy out. He was throwing 100mph on the inside corner and sliders away and they were hitting them like it was batting practice. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it... its not like he was pitching poorly, they were just clobbering his good pitches. My concern is that Thor is very hittable this year despite his elite stuff... I wonder if he is telegraphing pitches or something.

My big problem with the Diaz trade isn't Diaz... its that they were forced to take Cano's really bad contract on for 5 more years. The Wilpons will only spend so much and now they will use Cano's money as an excuse to not go after other premium talent. The other big complaint about the Diaz deal is that for what they are paying Diaz and Cano they could have gotten Machado.

To your point about the Mets having plenty of talented players, I would argue that the Mets have plenty of talented players who have potential to turn that talent into production. I will say that their position players are hitting well but the defense is horrific which makes no sense for a team built around pitching. Also the bullpen is atrocious, horrendous, terrible.. you name it, but basically it sucks. Outside of Diaz and maybe Lugo there is not one guy you can trust to get guys out. This is where signing infielders like Lowrie, instead of more relievers is really killing this team.

My prediction for this team is that it will remain at .500 or less for the rest of the year... the bullpen is terrible and for better or for worse DeGrom and Thor don't seem to have it this year. I do like how the young hitters are evolving but there is a TON on this team that is completely broken.

Don't look now but another meltdown courtesy of the Mets bullpen.

Familia should be DFA'd immediately... just leave him in Arizona. It's hard to put together win streaks if your bullpen gives away every other game or so. I wonder how long Brodie will wait to address the pen. Are there arms in the minors they can call up?

They just threw up a stat that the ERA for the mets bullpen on this road trip is 11.38... that's unreal

Don't look now but another meltdown courtesy of the Mets bullpen.

Familia should be DFA'd immediately... just leave him in Arizona. It's hard to put together win streaks if your bullpen gives away every other game or so. I wonder how long Brodie will wait to address the pen. Are there arms in the minors they can call up?

They just threw up a stat that the ERA for the mets bullpen on this road trip is 11.38... that's unreal

Too late. I already saw it. it would help if the Mets could field the ball. As to what's down on the farm:

Too late. I already saw it. it would help if the Mets could field the ball. As to what's down on the farm:
Wait... Ruben Tejada is a Met again!? When did that happen? Between Tejada, Familia and Gomez there seems to be a trend of re-signing ex-Mets. Someone let me know when we re-sign Justin Turner please.

The Syracuse roster is as dismal on pitching talent as the MLB roster. So basically the Mets are a 10 day DL trip from any of their starters away from being totally screwed. Ottavino and his sub 2.00 ERA would look pretty good right now, especially since Familia makes more money.

I feel like the single biggest factor that makes a good GM vs a terrible one is the ability to quickly recognize when you have made a mistake and course correct... this goes for all sports, not just baseball. Brodie made a huge mistake with his approach to the bullpen, we could all see that I would be an issue in the opening weeks of the season. Yet, he is the GM, and seemingly is living in bliss thinking everything will be ok or that making a coaching change will fix it. That is the sign of a terrible GM.

I decided to take a quick look at how Mets players have been doing this year, (for the first two months), vs. their career numbers. I settled on a single number for batters, (OPS) , and for pitchers, (ERA) to make the comparison. I just wanted a general idea of how many players are under-performing, (I suspect it’s most of them), and by how much.

BATTERS
Rajai Davis 1.000 this year vs. .691 career = 44.7% better
Dominic Smith 1.006 this year vs. .723 career = 39.1% better
Adeiny Hechavarría .806 this year vs. .638 career = 26.3% better
Tomás Nido .605 this year vs. .506 career = 19.6% better
Aaron Altherr .821 this year vs. .717 career = 14.5% better
J.D. Davis .750 this year vs. .662 career = 13.3% better
Michael Conforto .911 this year vs. .835 career = 9.1% better
Amed Rosario .711 this year vs. .682 career = 4.3% better
Jeff McNeil .879 this year vs. .864 career = 1.7% better
Carlos Gómez .718 this year vs. .726 career = 1.1% worse
Wilson Ramos .722 this year vs. .755 career = 4.4% worse
Todd Frazier .691 this year vs. .768 career = 10.0% worse
Brandon Nimmo .667 this year vs. .812 career = 17.9% worse
Luis Guillorme .377 this year vs. .492 career = 23.4% worse
Juan Lagares .526 this year vs. .659 career = 20.2% worse
Robinson Canó .658 this year vs. .884 career = 25.6% worse
Keon Broxton .371 this year vs. .716 career = 48.2% worse
Travis d'Arnaud .247 this year vs. .697 career = 64.5% worse

Pete Alonso never played before this season so I could not make a comparison. But his OPS is .952 while the various guys who played first for the Mets last season were: Wilmer Flores .736, Adrian Gonzalez .672, Dominic Smith .675, and Jay Bruce .816, so I think you’d have to call Pete an upgrade.

PITCHERS

Ryan O'Rourke 0.00 this year vs. 4.84 career = 100.0% better
Tim Peterson 2.84 this year vs. 5.56 career = 48.9% better
Héctor Santiago 2.45 this year vs. 4.05 career = 39.5% better
Paul Sewald 3.86 this year vs. 5.18 career = 25.5% better
Seth Lugo 3.00 this year vs. 3.40 career = 11.8% better
Robert Gsellman 3.82 this year vs. 4.31 career = 11.4% better (believe it or not)
Steven Matz 3.55 this year vs. 3.93 career = 9.7% better
Wilmer Font 5.93 this year vs. 6.41 career = 7.5% better
Drew Gagnon 4.76 this year vs. 4.97 career = 4.2% better
Jason Vargas 4.46 this year vs. 4.28 career = 4.2% worse
Edwin Díaz 3.04 this year vs. 2.68 career = 13.4% worse
Tyler Bashlor 5.56 this year vs. 4.57 career = 21.7% worse
Jacob Rhame 8.10 this year vs. 6.65 career = 21.8% worse
Zack Wheeler 4.68 this year vs. 3.82 career = 22.5% worse
Jacob deGrom 3.49 this year vs. 2.73 career = 27.8% worse
Chris Flexen 11.12 this year vs. 8.70 career = 27.8% worse
Daniel Zamora 6.00 this year vs. 4.20 career = 42.9% worse
Justin Wilson 4.82 this year vs. 3.36 career = 43.5% worse
Noah Syndergaard 4.90 this year vs. 3.18 career = 54.1% worse
Corey Oswalt 12.15 this year vs. 6.43 career = 89.0% worse
Jeurys Familia 6.56 this year vs. 2.97 career = 1.21% worse
Luis Avilán 9.28 this year vs. 3.30 career = 1.81% worse

Comments: I continue to believe that if our veteran players could just perform up to their career norms, we’d likely be in first place in what is still a rather flat division. That’s why I can’t totally blame team arrangement for the disappointing record. This should have been a pretty good team. The offense has been uneven, (and the defense sub-par), but the pitching has been the real problem. DeGrom is still our best buy but he has been up and down. Syndergaard seems to have lost his way. The bullpen combo of Familia and Diaz should have been lights out but they sure haven’t. Familia may prefer the closer role but I think that if you are a pitcher, you need to get the guys out, no matter what your role. Considering that pitching is supposed to be Calloway’s specialty, this performance by his staff is especially disappointing.

I would say send familia to syracuse but syracuse deserves much better. The guy is trash.

Mets fans could use a laugh. I've been watching World Series highlight films on You-Tube and here is the 1962 series:

The into is an ad for a baseball blooper reel and at the 50 second mark, Ralph Kiner comes on to explain why Jesse Orosco didn't get a save while an increasingly confused Steve Zabriskie listens on.

I highly recommend watching these highlight films, by the way. MLB started producing them in 1943 and they all seem to be on you-Tube, in color from 1959. Great stuff for historical baseball fans.

Last edited:
Gotta say old Mets fans outraged at Tom Brady trademarking Tom Terrific to make money is pretty funny.

Seaver was a great pitcher but this outage is hilarious. The old Mets are dying on the wall for this.

Gotta say old Mets fans outraged at Tom Brady trademarking Tom Terrific to make money is pretty funny.

Seaver was a great pitcher but this outage is hilarious. The old Mets are dying on the wall for this.

I doubt Tom Seaver cares any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom