Mets 2019 Season Thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Mets 2019 Season Thread

Chris Flexen has now given up 59 earned runs in 61 career inning pitched. It would suggest another line of work.
Or he needs to find a different org... he was okay last year and this year like every other Mets pitcher he has seen major regression. I wonder if there is something about the Mets pitching strategy that makes them more susceptible than the average pitcher to a juiced ball? I don’t care what the numbers say, Thor and DeGrom and Diaz have some of the best stuff in baseball... what we are seeing this year makes no sense.

Or he needs to find a different org... he was okay last year and this year like every other Mets pitcher he has seen major regression. I wonder if there is something about the Mets pitching strategy that makes them more susceptible than the average pitcher to a juiced ball? I don’t care what the numbers say, Thor and DeGrom and Diaz have some of the best stuff in baseball... what we are seeing this year makes no sense.

He had a 9.63 ERA last year. Not O.K.

Familia's ERA is now 7.81. He got one guy out of 4 and the other three all scored.

Gagnon is at 7.65. He got 4 guys out but put 8 of them on base, half of whom scored.

The new guy Pounders, got his only guy out to finally put an end to it. But his name is "Pounders" . :oops:

Flexen threw some fastballs 98 mph. I think he might end up becoming a decent relief pitcher. I think he has only been pitching in relief for a little while. There might still be some hope for him.

I decided to give myself a vacation form the Mets after the St. Louis series. It seemed like a good idea after the 3-12 disaster in the opener in Atlanta. Then this happened:
Mets vs. Braves - Box Score - June 18, 2019 - ESPN
So I tune in tonight and the Mets are up 1-0 when Freddie Freeman hits a two run homer.

insult to injury: swarzak, who pitched to a 6.15 era in 26 innings for the mets last year, pitched his 27th inning this year lowering his era to 2.96. since coming over the the braves, his era is 0.66.

insult to injury: swarzak, who pitched to a 6.15 era in 26 innings for the mets last year, pitched his 27th inning this year lowering his era to 2.96. since coming over the the braves, his era is 0.66.

It's the old "Mets syndrome". Put on a Mets uniform and suddenly you lose your coordination and can't do things like you did them for other teams. Foster...Bonilla...Alomar...many others. Only he took it off and became Superman.

So the mets hire an 82 year old pitching coach lol. You can't make it up. Will they wheel him out to make pitching changes?

Tommy Lasorda and Jack McKeon round out the coaching staff

82 doesn't mean he doesn't know what he's doing. It can't be any worse than what we've seen.

Phil was once a Syracuse Chief, back in the day. Maybe he can teach them how Koufax did it.

If they throw like Koufax they will get lit up even worse than they already do.

I'm done with Mickey Calloway. He'd been a pitching coach. He was brought in to mentor a young, talent pitching staff. The Mets are 10th in the league with a 4.53 ERA and lead the majors in blown saves. His usage of his pitchers makes no sense. Today he tried to get two innings out of a sub-par Lugo vs. the Cubs line-up in Wrigley and blew a game that in Ron Darling's words, the Mets had to win to finally get something going this season. of course he was hamstrung by Familia's meltdown but how did that happen? Darling and Gary Cohen, who aren't normally inclined to get on a manager's case, talked about this for several minutes with an air of at least impatience, if not disgust: Why not go to Diaz for a four batter same?

Joe Girardi wants the job. Give it to him! I'm ready to root for both Joe Girardi and Joe Girard.

Last edited:
Lugo shouldn't have come out in the eighth. Go to Gsellman and if necessary, Diaz for the four out save. The media situation after the game makes the day look even worse. Brodie set up Mickey to fail by not addressing the pen but his feel for the game is non existent. I and everyone watching knew that Lugo was going to give up the lead and sure enough he did. Would have been nice to go into Philly tomorrow 1.5 GB of second place. They show they can compete but the managing holds them back.

All Hell Breaks Loose In Mets’ Clubhouse After Gut-Punch Loss

Tensions erupted in the Mets’ clubhouse Sunday evening in Chicago, as left-handed pitcher Jason Vargas had to be restrained from coming after a member of the team beat, while manager Mickey Callaway cursed out the reporter for being “an antagonist.”

According to other members of the beat including Mike Puma of the New York Post and Deesha Thosar of the Daily News, Callaway told the public relations staff to get Tim Healey of Newsday out of the clubhouse and when Healey didn’t oblige, Vargas stared him down, said some words and was restrained by teammates Carlos Gomez and Noah Syndergaard.

Justin Toscano of the Record/North Jersey said that the altercation started when Healey said: “See you tomorrow, Mickey,” to which Callaway responded: “Don’t be a smart***.”

Callaway thought Healey was antagonizing him and the team, and Vargas thought Healey gestured toward him which sparked the former to say: “I’ll knock you the out, bro!”

The meltdown in the clubhouse came on the heels of the team’s gut-punch loss to the Cubs on Sunday. The Mets were up 3-2 in the eighth inning, but a gassed Seth Lugo surrendered a three-run home run to Javier Baez which gave Chicago a 5-3 lead they would not relinquish.

After the game, Callaway was reportedly agitated by questions on why the team didn’t use its closer, Edwin Diaz, to record the final five outs.

Callaway said the overarching plan is to not use Diaz for more than four outs, but later lashed out at a reporter who criticized him for not using him.

“Why, because you think we should?” Callaway said at one point.

According to Matt Ehalt of Yahoo, the comments by Healey were not made maliciously. Though Callaway, still irked from the loss, construed them that way.

Callaway reportedly told Healey to “get the out of here. We don’t need that bull****”

Any way you slice it, the altercation is a nasty one and one that is likely to have repercussions.

For now, the team has issued a statement regarding the matter:

“The Mets sincerely regret the incident that took place with one of our beat writers following today’s game in the clubhouse. We do not condone this type of behavior from any employee.

“The organization has reached out and apologized to this reporter and will have further discussions internally with all involved parties.”

General manager Brodie Van Wagenen is also set to address the media tomorrow prior to the team’s series with the Philadelphia Phillies

All Hell Breaks Loose In Mets' Clubhouse After Gut-Punch Loss | Metsmerized Online

The reporting on that is without a doubt one sided which is par for the course with beat writers. Ehalt's explanation via Twitter about it being what writers say to one another doesn't make sense. The tone of what was said is important because it gives context. Callaway nor Vargas snap back at that over a simple see you tomorrow.

I guess it's a reminder that the players are even more frustrated than the fans when things don't go well. To us it's entertainment. To them it's their profession.

Lugo shouldn't have come out in the eighth. Go to Gsellman and if necessary, Diaz for the four out save. The media situation after the game makes the day look even worse. Brodie set up Mickey to fail by not addressing the pen but his feel for the game is non existent. I and everyone watching knew that Lugo was going to give up the lead and sure enough he did. Would have been nice to go into Philly tomorrow 1.5 GB of second place. They show they can compete but the managing holds them back.

I assume you mean he should have come out in the eighth.

I think he's saying they shouldn't have let Lugo pitch in the eighth inning. The seventh, and then put someone else in to pitch in the eighth.

Lugo has been pitching well lately...looked good in the seventh. It seemed pretty obvious early in the eighth that he was having problems. Obviously stayed with him too long.

I think he's saying they shouldn't have let Lugo pitch in the eighth inning. The seventh, and then put someone else in to pitch in the eighth.

Lugo has been pitching well lately...looked good in the seventh. It seemed pretty obvious early in the eighth that he was having problems. Obviously stayed with him too long.

That's correct.

Lugo has been lights out all year. He was bound to have a bad game. You could see it didn't have it in the seventh. I would have had Robert warming up in the bottom of the frame.

All Hell Breaks Loose In Mets’ Clubhouse After Gut-Punch Loss

Tensions erupted in the Mets’ clubhouse Sunday evening in Chicago, as left-handed pitcher Jason Vargas had to be restrained from coming after a member of the team beat, while manager Mickey Callaway cursed out the reporter for being “an antagonist.”

According to other members of the beat including Mike Puma of the New York Post and Deesha Thosar of the Daily News, Callaway told the public relations staff to get Tim Healey of Newsday out of the clubhouse and when Healey didn’t oblige, Vargas stared him down, said some words and was restrained by teammates Carlos Gomez and Noah Syndergaard.

Justin Toscano of the Record/North Jersey said that the altercation started when Healey said: “See you tomorrow, Mickey,” to which Callaway responded: “Don’t be a smart***.”

Callaway thought Healey was antagonizing him and the team, and Vargas thought Healey gestured toward him which sparked the former to say: “I’ll knock you the out, bro!”

The meltdown in the clubhouse came on the heels of the team’s gut-punch loss to the Cubs on Sunday. The Mets were up 3-2 in the eighth inning, but a gassed Seth Lugo surrendered a three-run home run to Javier Baez which gave Chicago a 5-3 lead they would not relinquish.

After the game, Callaway was reportedly agitated by questions on why the team didn’t use its closer, Edwin Diaz, to record the final five outs.

Callaway said the overarching plan is to not use Diaz for more than four outs, but later lashed out at a reporter who criticized him for not using him.

“Why, because you think we should?” Callaway said at one point.

According to Matt Ehalt of Yahoo, the comments by Healey were not made maliciously. Though Callaway, still irked from the loss, construed them that way.

Callaway reportedly told Healey to “get the out of here. We don’t need that bull****”

Any way you slice it, the altercation is a nasty one and one that is likely to have repercussions.

For now, the team has issued a statement regarding the matter:

“The Mets sincerely regret the incident that took place with one of our beat writers following today’s game in the clubhouse. We do not condone this type of behavior from any employee.

“The organization has reached out and apologized to this reporter and will have further discussions internally with all involved parties.”

General manager Brodie Van Wagenen is also set to address the media tomorrow prior to the team’s series with the Philadelphia Phillies

All Hell Breaks Loose In Mets' Clubhouse After Gut-Punch Loss | Metsmerized Online
Time for Callaway to go. What a putz.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom