Michael Carter-Williams to be traded? | Syracusefan.com

Michael Carter-Williams to be traded?

"Trading the Rookie of the Year is kind of a crazy idea, but when you consider Carter-Williams' shooting limitations and the fact that this rookie class was downright wretched, plus Exum's considerable upside, it makes a little more sense."

Business is business.

Classic trading the devil you know for unproven talent. There's a reason they've been in the lottery for like 15 years.

Classic trading the devil you know for unproven talent. There's a reason they've been in the lottery for like 15 years.

Agreed. MCW has flaws / areas of his game that are opportunities for improvement. But so does Exum.

As point guards go, MCW brings a pretty unique set of skills and physical attributes, and possesses significant upside. Sounds like someone you'd want to build around, not trade.

Honestly I don't know how Dante Exum is such a better prospect. He played in the Nike Hoops Summit is supposely the same type of player as MCW. Long, athletic, PG who has trouble shooting consistently. So MCW is 22 and Exum is 19 and Exum is at 3 makes sense over Jabari Parker?

I don't get NBA GMs sometimes. Like how does Billy King become a multiple time NBA GM and get the chance to make the same mistakes over and over. If they trade MCW they better hope Exum is the real deal which nobody knows atleast we saw MCW do it in college.

Honestly I don't know how Dante Exum is such a better prospect. He played in the Nike Hoops Summit is supposely the same type of player as MCW. Long, athletic, PG who has trouble shooting consistently. So MCW is 22 and Exum is 19 and Exum is at 3 makes sense over Jabari Parker?

I don't get NBA GMs sometimes. Like how does Billy King become a multiple time NBA GM and get the chance to make the same mistakes over and over. If they trade MCW they better hope Exum is the real deal which nobody knows atleast we saw MCW do it in college.
Plus we've already seen MCW "do it" pretty well in the NBA.

Devil's advocate take is that Exum has the same size, is younger, and is a more explosive athlete.

Counter argument is that Exum is an unknown commodity in many respects whereas MCW is a proven one who has been tossed into the fire and performed at the professional level. Exum also reportedly has many of the same strengths / but also the same limitations that MCW has, on paper, so it's not like he'd come in and provide better shooting [for example] than MCW. And trading MCW / replacing him with a similar player like Exum might not actively "improve" the Sixers, it will be more like trading like for like [maybe with a bit more athletic upside... "maybe" being the operative term there]. Do they want to tread water, or do they want to improve one of their weak positions like center [Embiid] or wing forward [Parker or Wiggins]?

If the goal is to move the needle, then drafting Exum doesn't make a ton of sense to me. It depends on what MCW would fetch in trade value, I suppose, but I'd expect you'd have a better chance of adding a "star" caliber talent with the #3 pick in the draft than you would via trade.

Last edited:
I'm curious what MCW would fetch on the trade market.

For the 76ers though, if you like Exum, just take Exum and have the biggest backcourt in the league. See what you've got in Noel, and make a good pick at #10. Spend some dollars in free agency (they'll have to anyway) and roll the dice with your young nucleus.

If Philly wants Exum they are better off trading the 3rd pick to Utah for the 5th pick and another asset. Let Utah get Jabari Parker for the Salt Lake City market and get Exum at 5 and another asset, but Orlando is likely taking Exum or Marcus Smart so Philly has to take Exum at 3 if they want him for sure.

Philly wanted Andrew Wiggins badly that is obvious. Wiggins/MCW backcourt would have been perfect for each guy.

Exum is 3 years younger than MCW, but MCW is only 22 its not like he is 25 and getting younger makes sense. Exum to me has shown nothing to me to prove he is better or worse than MCW. I have only seen him play 1 game last year and now all of sudden we led to believe he is a top 5 pick.

Not to mention the fact that MCW was taken at #11 as the steal of the draft, so they pay less than $2 million a year for the ROTY.

Exum at #3 will make $3.5 million a year. Another million and a half for a potential slight upgrade? Not smart.

Take Wiggins or Parker and upgrade a position of need.

Not to mention the fact that MCW was taken at #11 as the steal of the draft, so they pay less than $2 million a year for the ROTY.

Exum at #3 will make $3.5 million a year. Another million and a half for a potential slight upgrade? Not smart.

Take Wiggins or Parker and upgrade a position of need.
Well, in fairness, every position is a position of need for the 76ers. Even PG, because somebody else decent needs to play when MCW sits.

It would make sense if they get something solid in return for MCW and then draft Exum. It all depends on what they can get for him.

Devil's advocate take is that Exum has the same size, is younger, and is a more explosive athlete.

Counter argument is that Exum is an unknown commodity in many respects whereas MCW is a proven one who has been tossed into the fire and performed at the professional level. Exum also reportedly has many of the same strengths / but also the same limitations that MCW has, on paper, so it's not like he'd come in and provide better shooting [for example] than MCW. And trading MCW / replacing him with a similar player like Exum might not actively "improve" the Sixers, it will be more like trading like for like [maybe with a bit more athletic upside... "maybe" being the operative term there]. Do they want to tread water, or do they want to improve one of their weak positions like center [Embiid] or wing forward [Parker or Wiggins]?

If the goal is to move the needle, then drafting Exum doesn't make a ton of sense to me. It depends on what MCW would fetch in trade value, I suppose, but I'd expect you'd have a better chance of adding a "star" caliber talent with the #3 pick in the draft than you would via trade.

Depends on your definition of more explosive. MCW is easily more athletic in terms of leaping ability, but Exum will be able to step into the league and immediately be one of the fastest/quickest players in the NBA. I also think he'll be a far better finisher around the rim.

MCW is more of a pure PG than Exum is though.

But yeah, I think this report is much ado about nothing. It was literally spawned from a Philly beat writer just throwing around the hypothetical of "What could Philly get if they wanted to trade MCW?"

MCW + Wiggins/Jabari + Stauskas/Gary Harris/Aaron Gordon is better than Exum + two of Stauskas/Gary Harris/Aaron Gordon (which is probably what you'd be looking at if they traded MCW for a pick in this year's draft). Just doesn't make any sense.

FWIW, I've got a feeling that the Bucks will trade out of the 2 spot. They're going to be bad for a long time, so with a new ownership group they might be up for quantity of assets over the single quality aspect the #2 pick is.

FWIW, I've got a feeling that the Bucks will trade out of the 2 spot. They're going to be bad for a long time, so with a new ownership group they might be up for quantity of assets over the single quality aspect the #2 pick is.
If the Bucks will trade 2nd pick then Philly giving them 3 and 10 makes sense for both sides. Philly wants Wiggins and it appears Cleveland will be taking Embiid thus Milwaukee could pickup a 2nd lottery pick and Philly gets the number 1 guy to go with MCW and Noel.

If the Bucks will trade 2nd pick then Philly giving them 3 and 10 makes sense for both sides. Philly wants Wiggins and it appears Cleveland will be taking Embiid thus Milwaukee could pickup a 2nd lottery pick and Philly gets the number 1 guy to go with MCW and Noel.
I think that would be too steep for Philly, but it wouldn't be the first time a draft day trade happens that doesn't make sense to me. They'll have a chance to grab a pretty good player at 10 - surefire rotation player for that team, and possibly a starter. Even if they don't love Parker at 3, that's not a huge dropoff from Wiggins, if it's even a dropoff at all.

They could possibly trade out of #2, but they won't trade any lower than #4. I've seen people trying to say that Utah is going to trade up to #2... it just isn't going to happen. Milwaukee's been waiting 15 years for a chance to draft a superstar. They know that it's the top 4, and then everybody else.

It all depends on their big board. If they have Jabari or Exum as their #2 guy, but think they'll be available at 4, they could trade down with Orlando, but I'd honestly be pretty shocked. I don't think the new owners will want to be cute about it. They'll simply take their #2 guy at #2 (assuming Embiid goes first).

I actually think Cleveland is most likely to trade out of the top 4 teams. They desperately want to make the playoffs next year, so if they can get an established all-star caliber player, they might be willing to trade the #1 pick.

The Bucks aren't nearly as bad a team as Philly. They just had everything that could possibly go wrong go wrong last year. 4 of their starters were injured within the first couple games, and 3 of the 4 never rebounded at all. And they could also theoretically get back into the first round by moving a guy like John Henson, Ilyasova, or OJ Mayo packaged with some of their 2nd round picks. They don't really need to trade out of the 2 spot to acquire multiple solid assets in this year's draft. Hell, they can probably get a guy at #31 that could very well be a starter with how deep this year's draft is.

These are the things about the NBA draft I believe.

Cleveland either takes Embiid at 1 or gambles like crazy on a Kevin Love trade to appeal to Lebron next year

Milwuakee- I have no clue who they truly want.

Philly- wants Wiggins to pair up with MCW, but at 3 either need to trade with the Bucks at 2 or hope the Bucks like Jabari Parker more, but if no Wiggins apparently are interested in Exum.

Orlando-wants a PG either Exum or Smart

Utah- they want Jabari Parker MORE THAN ANY TEAM wants any other player. Parker in Utah makes the most sense for everyone

Boston- they like Aaron Gordon apparently

the rest I have no clue.

Any way Vonleh sneaks into the top 5?

Also,

Nothing to see here folks, just an awful organization continuing to be awful.

Utah- they want Jabari Parker MORE THAN ANY TEAM wants any other player. Parker in Utah makes the most sense for everyone
Not only would Parker appeal to a fan base with a lot of Mormons, he also would be a great fit for that roster - they need a forward and scoring. With Parker, their starting lineup potentially looks like Burke/Hayward/Parker/Favors/Kanter with Burkes as your 6th man. They probably wouldn't be a playoff team right away, but that's a core with a lot of upside.

Why the hell would the celtics want Gordon... I'd much rather Smart/Vonleh or well hell a lot of other people.

Gordon has the upside of Blake Griffin. Vonleh doesn't interest me I think Gordon has more skills to be a good NBA player and if I were the Celtics Gordon would be my pick if he is available at 6 and none of the top 4 are available.

Smart I have no interest in if I am the Celtics. They can Ennis at 17 or a PG there.

Why the hell would the celtics want Gordon... I'd much rather Smart/Vonleh or well hell a lot of other people.

My guess is Smart goes #5 to Utah, so he isn't an option. Then you have Gordon/Vonleh/Randle. None of them are really good fits in Boston, but I really like Gordon. I think he's going to be one of the best players in this draft when it's all said and done. If he's your PF, he's a great ball-handler, passer, cutter, and athlete for his position, and he has great defensive versatility; exactly the type of player Brad Stevens loves. Randle and Vonleh don't really fit that bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom