Michael Carter-Williams to be traded? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Michael Carter-Williams to be traded?

Exum IMO can't go ahead of Embiid, Wiggins, Parker. All 3 of those guys have NBA comps I am confident in.

Embiid- Serge Ibaka
Wiggins- Tracy McGrady
Parker- Glenn Robinson

I have no clue what the hell Exum is and if Philly wanted Wiggins they could offer the Bucks what I suggested #3 and #10 and get Wiggins. I doubt the Bucks have a strong preference between Wiggins and Parker, but Wiggins has the higher ranking so they likely go there and Philly stuck with Parker.

Exum IMO can't go ahead of Embiid, Wiggins, Parker. All 3 of those guys have NBA comps I am confident in.

Embiid- Serge Ibaka
Wiggins- Tracy McGrady
Parker- Glenn Robinson

I have no clue what the hell Exum is and if Philly wanted Wiggins they could offer the Bucks what I suggested #3 and #10 and get Wiggins. I doubt the Bucks have a strong preference between Wiggins and Parker, but Wiggins has the higher ranking so they likely go there and Philly stuck with Parker.
Your comp for Wiggins is McGrady? I don't see that at all. McGrady was pure offense. That's not what I think of with Wiggins. This is reaching too high, but my comp for Wiggins would be Pippen, for the defensive potential.

Embiid- Serge Ibaka
Wiggins- Tracy McGrady
Parker- Glenn Robinson

I don't think it's really fair to say Embiid and Wiggins are for sure Ibaka and McGrady while simultaneously saying we have no idea about Exum. Wiggins would have to improve a TON to get to the level of offensive player that McGrady was. In his prime, he was probably the best scorer in the NBA. Embiid has to become much more disciplined defensively and improve his jumpshot a ton to get to the level that Serge Ibaka is currently at. I think Embiid's ceiling is much higher than just being Ibaka though.

I think there's a very good chance Jabari is around Glenn Robinson's level as an NBA player, so that one is fine IMO.

Exum reminds me personally of Brandon Roy, except Roy was able to beat his man at will because of ball-handling whereas Exum is going to be able to beat his man at will because of his quickness and craftiness. Roy was also a better mid-range shooter than Exum when he entered the draft, but Roy was also 4 years older and had serious health issues. They approach the game in a very similar way though.

My guess is Smart goes #5 to Utah, so he isn't an option. Then you have Gordon/Vonleh/Randle. None of them are really good fits in Boston, but I really like Gordon. I think he's going to be one of the best players in this draft when it's all said and done. If he's your PF, he's a great ball-handler, passer, cutter, and athlete for his position, and he has great defensive versatility; exactly the type of player Brad Stevens loves. Randle and Vonleh don't really fit that bill.
I'm kind of curious why Randle's stock seems to be dropping. Dude's a beast. I feel like he's a forgotten man in this draft.

Embiid is a skilled big guy, he has a similar body to Ibaka. His is only 18 years old and Ibaka is 24 years old. Embiid is not Hakeem Olajuwon whom people wanted to comp him to, but has an Ibaka like game. I think he can be a rim protector and feel confident Embiid will be able to hit that elbow jumper like Ibaka.

Wiggins has the game similar to McGrady he may not be offensive threat McGrady was in Orlando/Houston, but Wiggins can be that type of player in 3 years.

NBA players don't hit their primes till 24. These kids entering the league are only going to be 19 they will develop a lot more with pro coaching.

I would like to hear Knicks411 takes as he is probably the best NBA person on this board.

Its obvious Randle is Z-Bo 2.0, but remember Randolph was taken in late teens/early 20s by Portland when he left Michigan State after 1 year.

I don't think Randle will be to contribute for a couple of years as he was a man playing with boys in the college game. In the NBA, he will be just another man. I think he can put up Z-Bo numbers over time, but not right away.

I like the comp to Brandon Roy for Exum as Roy was really solid when healthy. I don't think Exum should go higher than 4th, but we will see maybe the Bucks will shock us all and take him 2nd.

I'm kind of curious why Randle's stock seems to be dropping. Dude's a beast. I feel like he's a forgotten man in this draft.

Advanced metrics suggest that he's only a borderline lottery type player. Struggled a lot when facing teams with size, poor defender, easy to stop if you simply wait on him to come back to his left hand, not a good passer, no offense outside of 5 feet, and his standing reach is just barely higher than Dante Exum lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes him #5 or 6 just because of how highly touted he was, but Gordon, Vonleh, and Saric are probably all regarded as better prospects at this point.

Embiid is a skilled big guy, he has a similar body to Ibaka. His is only 18 years old and Ibaka is 24 years old. Embiid is not Hakeem Olajuwon whom people wanted to comp him to, but has an Ibaka like game. I think he can be a rim protector and feel confident Embiid will be able to hit that elbow jumper like Ibaka.

Wiggins has the game similar to McGrady he may not be offensive threat McGrady was in Orlando/Houston, but Wiggins can be that type of player in 3 years.

NBA players don't hit their primes till 24. These kids entering the league are only going to be 19 they will develop a lot more with pro coaching.

I would like to hear Knicks411 takes as he is probably the best NBA person on this board.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I think Embiid can exceed Ibaka as a player in the NBA personally. His footwork on his post moves is already better than Ibaka in my opinion, but Ibaka has become one of the best mid-range shooters in the game and can extend out to the corner 3 as well. Embiid isn't remotely close to that yet.

I don't think Wiggins will ever be the scorer McGrady was, but that isn't a bad thing. Like I said, I honestly think McGrady was the best scorer in the NBA in his prime, and that's in a league that had Kobe also in his prime at the time. Offensively, I think Wiggins can peak a little above where Paul George is at right now, and I think he can be an elite defender as well.

They're my top 2 prospects in this year's draft personally. If Embiid stays healthy, he's easily the #1 guy IMO. Then Wiggins is the #2. I personally put Exum at 3 and Jabari at 4 simply because I think Exum has a chance to be one of the best PG/SGs in the league (whatever position he ends up playing at). His floor is lower than Jabari's, but if I'm a team picking in the top 3 or 4, I'd rather take a chance on a potential superstar than taking a guy that probably peaks as an all-star.

Yeah, don't get me wrong. I think Embiid can exceed Ibaka as a player in the NBA personally. His footwork on his post moves is already better than Ibaka in my opinion, but Ibaka has become one of the best mid-range shooters in the game and can extend out to the corner 3 as well. Embiid isn't remotely close to that yet.

I don't think Wiggins will ever be the scorer McGrady was, but that isn't a bad thing. Like I said, I honestly think McGrady was the best scorer in the NBA in his prime, and that's in a league that had Kobe also in his prime at the time. Offensively, I think Wiggins can peak a little above where Paul George is at right now, and I think he can be an elite defender as well.

They're my top 2 prospects in this year's draft personally. If Embiid stays healthy, he's easily the #1 guy IMO. Then Wiggins is the #2. I personally put Exum at 3 and Jabari at 4 simply because I think Exum has a chance to be one of the best PG/SGs in the league (whatever position he ends up playing at). His floor is lower than Jabari's, but if I'm a team picking in the top 3 or 4, I'd rather take a chance on a potential superstar than taking a guy that probably peaks as an all-star.
Very solid analysis I can't disagree with any of this to be honest. Comping Wiggins to Paul George is perfectly fair and maybe a little disrespectful to Tracy McGrady, but McGrady never won anything in his prime so he was a little overrated.

I agree on the top 2 and thinking Parker vs Exum could be a tossup. Parker has been a little overrated this whole college season and if he slipped past Philly at 3 I think Orlando would trade back with Utah even though that is rare in the NBA draft and Parker would end up in Utah and Orlando would likely get assets from Utah and Marcus Smart at 5.

Honestly I don't know how Dante Exum is such a better prospect. He played in the Nike Hoops Summit is supposely the same type of player as MCW. Long, athletic, PG who has trouble shooting consistently. So MCW is 22 and Exum is 19 and Exum is at 3 makes sense over Jabari Parker?

I don't get NBA GMs sometimes. Like how does Billy King become a multiple time NBA GM and get the chance to make the same mistakes over and over. If they trade MCW they better hope Exum is the real deal which nobody knows atleast we saw MCW do it in college.
NBA GM's love high school kids because their flaws haven't been exposed yet. They would love middle school kids even better and would absolutely draft some if they could. (Does my contempt for the way the NBA conducts business show?)

My guess on Randle is that he's probably closer to his ceiling than the other guys at the top of the board.
I don't think Randle will be to contribute for a couple of years as he was a man playing with boys in the college game. In the NBA, he will be just another man. I think he can put up Z-Bo numbers over time, but not right away.

Interesting, because my gut feeling is he is probably the most NBA ready of the guys in the top 5 or 6 or whatever. I'm not saying he's 20-10 next year, but I could see him coming in and making an impact and putting up solid numbers right away while some of the other guys struggle and you get a lot of "what a steal Julius Randle was!" talk.

For me, i think #1 has to come down to Embiid and Wiggins, and if your doctors give you a good report on Embiid, go with him. If Wiggins was a beast this year in college I'd go with him, but he was good, but not blowaway. Embiid flashed some incredible skills; I was blown away by some of the passes he made when I first saw him play in November and he's got some really nice moves around the bucket. But we're also talking about 19 year olds. I don't envy having to decide between the two.

Advanced metrics suggest that he's only a borderline lottery type player. Struggled a lot when facing teams with size, poor defender, easy to stop if you simply wait on him to come back to his left hand, not a good passer, no offense outside of 5 feet, and his standing reach is just barely higher than Dante Exum lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes him #5 or 6 just because of how highly touted he was, but Gordon, Vonleh, and Saric are probably all regarded as better prospects at this point.
Ah. Metrics. Well, then.

Randle can board. That generally translates well.

Ah. Metrics. Well, then.

Randle can board. That generally translates well.

Yeah, rebounding, assists, blocks, and steals I believe are the areas that generally translate to the NBA. That's probably one of the reasons teams that follow these analytics aren't as high on him though. He rebounds well, but his steals and blocks rates are just scary bad, and he's a poor passer as well. He also only shot 46% from 2 point range in SEC play despite being a man amongst boys. He's earily similar to Thomas Robinson in a lot of ways, but worse in just about every way (granted that Robinson was a year older when he entered the draft and was a junior, but still).

Edit: There's a pretty good read about Randle's defense here: http://deanondraft.com/2014/04/25/visibility-bias-and-julius-randles-defense/

DeanOnDraft is a great resource for getting a more in-depth look at some of the prospects. He does a really nice job of fleshing some of their numbers out.

OttoinGrotto said:
Your comp for Wiggins is McGrady? I don't see that at all. McGrady was pure offense. That's not what I think of with Wiggins. This is reaching too high, but my comp for Wiggins would be Pippen, for the defensive potential.
Agreed. I comp wiggins to Larry bird, embiid to mark eaton, and Parker to john stockton

Where's Young projected to go?

My guess on Randle is that he's probably closer to his ceiling than the other guys at the top of the board.

Interesting, because my gut feeling is he is probably the most NBA ready of the guys in the top 5 or 6 or whatever. I'm not saying he's 20-10 next year, but I could see him coming in and making an impact and putting up solid numbers right away while some of the other guys struggle and you get a lot of "what a steal Julius Randle was!" talk.

For me, i think #1 has to come down to Embiid and Wiggins, and if your doctors give you a good report on Embiid, go with him. If Wiggins was a beast this year in college I'd go with him, but he was good, but not blowaway. Embiid flashed some incredible skills; I was blown away by some of the passes he made when I first saw him play in November and he's got some really nice moves around the bucket. But we're also talking about 19 year olds. I don't envy having to decide between the two.

I can see why a team would draft Embiid. If you nail it with an athletic seven footer with skills, you are set for a decade.

With that said, I don't buy into his potential as hakeem (maybe Ibaka) as much as everyone else. At least with Wiggins you are getting an elite perimeter defender that, in the right offense, should be able to get to the rim and eventually have a viable mid range game.

I think Parker is a plug and play offensive guy that you can hopefully hide on defense or at least get him to buy in to the team concept, which I think he will.

I would absolutely not draft Dante Exum ahead of any of those three.

I think James Young will be the steal of this draft going in the late lottery.

Not to mention the fact that MCW was taken at #11 as the steal of the draft, so they pay less than $2 million a year for the ROTY.

Exum at #3 will make $3.5 million a year. Another million and a half for a potential slight upgrade? Not smart.

Take Wiggins or Parker and upgrade a position of need.
Do you know if MCW gets a bonus for being ROY?

After the deal they got last year, I would be shocked if Philly wasn't shopping everyone on their roster. No matter what guys they get at 3 and 10, they aren't contenders next year so if someone is going to give you a high pick and player or multiple #1s for MCW, it's worth exploring.

As for the draft, I think Cleveland takes Embiid since they aren't going to keep Love long-term, and they trade from the Waiters/Bennett/Thompson group.

Parker would make sense for the Bucks. They have some solid defenders who could cover for him in this area...could also see them trade the pick to Utah for the 5 and Burks.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ainge went with Vonleh over Gordon. Don't see the Celtics taking Smart unless they have a deal in place to trade Rondo.

After the deal they got last year, I would be shocked if Philly wasn't shopping everyone on their roster. No matter what guys they get at 3 and 10, they aren't contenders next year so if someone is going to give you a high pick and player or multiple #1s for MCW, it's worth exploring.

As for the draft, I think Cleveland takes Embiid since they aren't going to keep Love long-term, and they trade from the Waiters/Bennett/Thompson group.

Parker would make sense for the Bucks. They have some solid defenders who could cover for him in this area...could also see them trade the pick to Utah for the 5 and Burks.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ainge went with Vonleh over Gordon. Don't see the Celtics taking Smart unless they have a deal in place to trade Rondo.

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier or not, but there's a zero percent chance that Milwaukee trades out of the top 4 unless a superstar is involved, which Burks obviously isn't. It just isn't going to happen. And it especially isn't going to happen with Burks because they see Brandon Knight as a SG going forwards, so he and Burks would clash.

Milwaukee will come out of the draft with one of Embiid, Wiggins, Exum, and Jabari.

Honestly I don't know how Dante Exum is such a better prospect. He played in the Nike Hoops Summit is supposely the same type of player as MCW. Long, athletic, PG who has trouble shooting consistently. So MCW is 22 and Exum is 19 and Exum is at 3 makes sense over Jabari Parker?

I don't get NBA GMs sometimes. Like how does Billy King become a multiple time NBA GM and get the chance to make the same mistakes over and over. If they trade MCW they better hope Exum is the real deal which nobody knows atleast we saw MCW do it in college.

I credit what he has done in the NBA and am glad he has done it, but I don't think mcw's "it" in college was that great.

Give me a championship team recently where the point guard was the main scorer, the NBA myth that they need a fast high scoring point guard is just that. Paker distributed the ball to Duncan, and Robinson. Rondo gave the ball to Garnett, Pierce, and Allen, Los Angeles won with Fisher. Miami has won because of the big 3, if MCW went there Miami might challenge 73 wins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom