Michael Moore is a non-qual | Syracusefan.com

Michael Moore is a non-qual

The NCAA usually doesn't help us when it comes to this kind of thing...

There's nothing personal about this. Everyone has non-qualifiers.

Not meaning that but usually when we have a questionable qualifier it usually means he isn't coming.

Not meaning that but usually when we have a questionable qualifier it usually means he isn't coming.
Those are the risk we have to take as a lower-tier P5 school.

Those are the risk we have to take as a lower-tier P5 school.

I realize that and just pointing out the track record hasn't been great getting those types in.

Where do we stand at CB?

Winfield, Morgan, Dowels, Hudson and then?

Not sure which freshman are at CB among Jones, Foster, Bradshaw. Just looking over the roster, they need some height upgrades in that group.

It's not really that hard to qualify. If you can't meet the minimum qualifications then you probably shouldn't be in college.

Division I Academic Eligibility Requirements

If you're first entering a Division I college in order to be classified a"qualifier," the student must haev :

• Graduated from high school, with

• Successfully complete a core curriculum of at least 13 academic course units as follows:
    English ... 4 years

Mathematics (two years of mathematics courses at the level of Algebra I or above) ... 2 years

Natural or physical science (including at least one laboratory course, if offered by the high school) ... 2 years

Additional courses in English, mathematics, or natural or physical science ... 1 year

Social science ... 2 years

Additional academic courses [in any of the above areas or foreign language, computer science, philosophy or nondoctrinal religion (e.g., comparative religion) courses] ... 2 years

• Have a core-course grade-point average (based on a maximum of 4.000) and a combined score on the SAT verbal and math sections or a sum score on the ACT based on the qualifier index scale.
Division I Qualifier Index
Core GPA
ACT* sum of scores SAT** on or after 4/1/95
2.500 & above 68 820
2.475 69 830
2.450 70 840-850
2.425 70 860
2.400 71 860
2.375 72 870
2.350 73 880
2.325 74 890
2.300 75 900
2.275 76 910
2.250 77 920
2.225 78 930
2.200 79 940
2.175 80 950
2.150 80 960
2.125 81 960
2.100 82 970
2.075 83 980
2.050 84 990
2.025 85 1000
2.000 86 1010

midloviking said:
It's not really that hard to qualify. If you can't meet the minimum qualifications then you probably shouldn't be in college. Division I Academic Eligibility Requirements If you're first entering a Division I college in order to be classified a"qualifier," the student must haev : [*]Graduated from high school, with [*]Successfully complete a core curriculum of at least 13 academic course units as follows: English ... 4 years Mathematics (two years of mathematics courses at the level of Algebra I or above) ... 2 years Natural or physical science (including at least one laboratory course, if offered by the high school) ... 2 years Additional courses in English, mathematics, or natural or physical science ... 1 year Social science ... 2 years Additional academic courses [in any of the above areas or foreign language, computer science, philosophy or nondoctrinal religion (e.g., comparative religion) courses] ... 2 years [*]Have a core-course grade-point average (based on a maximum of 4.000) and a combined score on the SAT verbal and math sections or a sum score on the ACT based on the qualifier index scale. Division I Qualifier Index Core GPA ACT* sum of scores SAT** on or after 4/1/95 2.500 & above 68 820 2.475 69 830 2.450 70 840-850 2.425 70 860 2.400 71 860 2.375 72 870 2.350 73 880 2.325 74 890 2.300 75 900 2.275 76 910 2.250 77 920 2.225 78 930 2.200 79 940 2.175 80 950 2.150 80 960 2.125 81 960 2.100 82 970 2.075 83 980 2.050 84 990 2.025 85 1000 2.000 86 1010

Not that easy... Crappy schools, uninvolved parents, school violence, hunger, drugs/weapons, etc.

Not saying that's the case here - but there can be a lot of drags on succeeding in HS.

It's always up to the kid - but it's not always easy.

Not that easy... Crappy schools, uninvolved parents, school violence, hunger, drugs/weapons, etc.

Not saying that's the case here - but there can be a lot of drags on succeeding in HS.

It's always up to the kid - but it's not always easy.

Exactly. On the surface, it doesn't appear to be that hard. But I try to remember that not all these guys grew up with the same circumstances and advantages that I did.

So many of these kids are so far behind long before they even get to high school it's near impossible for them to catch up.

Like I said, not everyone belongs in college. A minor league football and basketball system would be a good alternative for athletes who don't belong in college for whatever reason.

I come from a pretty crappy environment - abandoned at birth, foster care, adopted by a nice family but mom suffered some pretty severe mental illness, moved around a lot (10 times by 5 years old) , raised myself at times, crappy schools (violence, drugs, weapons, armed security, regular drug dog searches, bullying, free lunch), food stamps, government cheese and powdered milk. Believe me, I understand what disadvantaged people go through. Being poor hurts. Being dumb & poor is the kiss of death.

Unfortunately, I was not a good athlete. Fortunately, I was intelligent. I was able to wade through all of the negatives and ended up at Syracuse.

I hate to see gifted athletes take a space in college and then not got to class or attempt to learn anything (Fab Melo). That means some kid who was not as skilled but had the ability to be a successful student at that college was left out.

Like I said, not everyone belongs in college. A minor league football and basketball system would be a good alternative for athletes who don't belong in college for whatever reason.

I come from a pretty crappy environment - abandoned at birth, foster care, adopted by a nice family but mom suffered some pretty severe mental illness, moved around a lot (10 times by 5 years old) , raised myself at times, crappy schools (violence, drugs, weapons, armed security, regular drug dog searches, bullying, free lunch), food stamps, government cheese and powdered milk. Believe me, I understand what disadvantaged people go through. Being poor hurts. Being dumb & poor is the kiss of death.

Unfortunately, I was not a good athlete. Fortunately, I was intelligent. I was able to wade through all of the negatives and ended up at Syracuse.

I hate to see gifted athletes take a space in college and then not got to class or attempt to learn anything (Fab Melo). That means some kid who was not as skilled but had the ability to be a successful student at that college was left out.

The whole Melo thing really shocked me. At least in the past, and I know I am overgeneralizing, foreign kids were less of a headache on the academic front in part because the preparation for college was usually more rigorous elsewhere (and it largely didn't matter where...anyone who's spent any time abroad can likely attest to that). Foreign kids were also less of a headache because those kids came to the US to go to college rather than just audition for the NBA. It's interesting that the moment these foreign kids started to come here for high school too, that all changed. Not just Melo but Diagne now too. At first I thought Diagne's situation was simply the NCAA being hard@sses about his Senegalese transcript but the series of poor decisions that followed would indicate that some of the problems fall at his feet and the feet of his advisers here. If those kids had any desire to be educated, it's as if high school here beats it out of them.

The reality is that American high schools are not that great comparatively and high school athletes especially are poorly prepared for college, for a variety of reasons. But they are far from the only ones who shouldn't be in college, as you say. The institutions are broken, not necessarily the kids in them.

Exactly. On the surface, it doesn't appear to be that hard. But I try to remember that not all these guys grew up with the same circumstances and advantages that I did.

The great Nick Carraway line, paraphrased. Love it.

You're right, but there's some merit in the initial post. When someone's spending some amount of time at a Juco with the sole goal of getting into a four-year school, all parties have dropped the ball when that doesn't happen. There's no doubt that too many kids face horrific circumstances that most of us can't imagine in their early years, but when a guy's admitted into an advanced degree program, there's a lot of support available. He and his coaches, to say nothing of the support staff, ought to be able to gain admission to SU (which is no tough task for someone identified as a must-have football recruit). I wonder what sort of curriculum they've got out there.

I think FB and BB athletes are add-ons to the student body, and don't take the place of more deserving students, but I don't know that for certain.

OttoMets said:
The great Nick Carraway line, paraphrased. Love it. You're right, but there's some merit in the initial post. When someone's spending some amount of time at a Juco with the sole goal of getting into a four-year school, all parties have dropped the ball when that doesn't happen. There's no doubt that too many kids face horrific circumstances that most of us can't imagine in their early years, but when a guy's admitted into an advanced degree program, there's a lot of support available. He and his coaches, to say nothing of the support staff, ought to be able to gain admission to SU (which is no tough task for someone identified as a must-have football recruit). I wonder what sort of curriculum they've got out there.

I can't disagree with that at all and the same thought occurred to me after my first post

I can't disagree with that at all and the same thought occurred to me after my first post

If we're choosing sides, I'd have to lean in the direction of your sentiment.

But (sadly) my first reaction was 'damn, someone screwed up out there, what kind of lightweight diploma mill are they running?'

Easy to blame, even though I shouldn't. Sad that the kid can't take this step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom