Michigan coach Brady Hoke says he'd like to play SU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Michigan coach Brady Hoke says he'd like to play SU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alsacs, please read my posts more carefully. I have no problem with you disagreeing with the vision of SU becoming NYC's college team.

You think it's impossible so why bother. Fine. Long-term that may be proven correct.

I was smh at the notion you presented in your previous post that somehow moving the lesser ACC games to NYC would have any value at all.

As for the state flagship thingie, I've discussed that to death in numerous posts over the years. NY doesn't have such a thing and likely never will, at least not in the same context as other states such as Michigan, Ohio, Alabama, etc.

However, I do have a question for you.

Do you believe that interest in SU basketball in the city is limited only to the alums in the area and the SU area fans who travel to the city? Or is it possible that we are attracting fans who are neither who will increase our alumni base in the city in the future by becoming future students as a result of the interest SU generates by playing high level games at MSG?

Is it a chicken or egg thing there?

Cheers,
Neil
First off we are having a legit discussion which I think is healthy and have no problem with your position and points as they legit and have a lot strength in them.

In relation to SU basketball our brand is one of the best in NYC because we have won a lot in the Big East and NYC is a college basketball market. NYC cares about college basketball unlike college football IMO as the Giants, Jets dominate the football market, but in college basketball Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, St. John's, UConn all play in the city. St. John's used to own the city, but their decline while SU has stayed consistently a national player has allowed SU basketball to command attention in NYC. I don't think a lot of non-SU alums are a SU fans per se, but they like our program because of the winning we have done in the Big East. Also, NYC is a hotbed for college basketball players. Most of the country recruits NYC HS talent for their programs unlike in college football where there may be 1 or 2 4/5 star football recruits their are lots more basketball recruits coming out of NYC each year.

Moving the BC, NC State, Wake Forest, Pitt, Louisville games to NYC on a rotating basis allows SU to fulfill their contract they have with Metlife Stadium, and not give up premiere non-conference games. If we are going to continue the NY's College team brand then we will continue playing in Metlife Stadium. However, those ACC opponents should be good enough teams to attract mid 30k crowd and give the AD the ability to court down state fans, and not sellout the best non-conference games. That is what I am saying with my statement. I prefer we play ZERO home games at Metlife Stadium, but understand fulfilling the agreement we have signed.

Lol for the poster thinking SU is getting 5 million a game from Metlife. Talk about delusional.

I also think its funny that some think we are lesser than rutgirls and UConn since they can draw a Michigan, Tennessee and others but poor ol SU can't.

I also thinks its funny that people think we can get home attendance to where it needs to be by playing all big OOC games in NJ or away. It also amazes me that so many want to put SU at a competitive disadvantage so often and think an Alabama in NJ is better for the program than a Miss St in the Dome.

We don't need 0-1-1's.

Sent using my Commodore 64

What's wrong with it is that he has stated it about 47,000 times on this forum and his opinion won't change the fact that SU plays these games for the money and exposure. Regardless if they are 1-1, 1-1-1 or 1 game arrangements, it is the vision of the AD and the school to be NY's college team and collect huge checks to play in NYC.

I am glad that you have determined that his opinion is "right" all on your own. Many might agree but the people in charge of the games disagree and that is all that matters.

If Alsacs thinks that we are now back to being "big time" after 2 successful seasons in 10 years then he is more delusional than I thought. There is much more work to be done before we can demand home & home game arrangements without the allure of NYC/Metlife and $5mil checks. Especially with the likes of Ped State, ND, Michigan and the real "big time" programs.

The truth is that when SU tried to get a home and home with Ped State and ND without MetLife, the answer was simple, they calmly answered NO and said they had bigger fish to fry. MetLife entered the picture and so did more dollars and the answer changed to YES. These are facts and all the griping and opinion isn't going to change it.

What makes you the expert on what SU's vision is and what they have tried to do or even negotiated with?

Moving the BC, NC State, Wake Forest, Pitt, Louisville games to NYC on a rotating basis allows SU to fulfill their contract they have with Metlife Stadium, and not give up premiere non-conference games. If we are going to continue the NY's College team brand then we will continue playing in Metlife Stadium. However, those ACC opponents should be good enough teams to attract mid 30k crowd and give the AD the ability to court down state fans, and not sellout the best non-conference games. That is what I am saying with my statement. I prefer we play ZERO home games at Metlife Stadium, but understand fulfilling the agreement we have signed.

I am limiting this post to the above paragraph.

I'm not attacking your principles or ideas, only the practicality of the fact that MetLife probably does not care about the ACC games, with the exceptions of FSU, Clemson, and Miami. MetLife is a SIGNIFICANT partner in this arrangement. They are the ones controlling who plays us, NOT the SU AD. They have promised compelling games. Therefore, they will have input as to who we play.

Another point is that fans will want the above conference games in the Dome. This builds conference rivalries and pride.

Finally, the deal is for 10 games in 20 years. The PSU and ND deals are separate, if I recall. That said, if leveraging MetLife games for 1-1-1 works against tOSU, Michigan, Alabama, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, most fans would be happy to attend these games in the Dome.

The reality is that winning cures all ills. Teams that wanted to be the best have to beat top level and mid-level teams. Syracuse was always a target of these schools. Playing in the Dome is difficult when Syracuse fans have something to cheer for. The pressure is on Shafer and Co. to continue winning and improving the team. If Syracuse is a winning school, visiting schools will have no issue playing in the Dome. Marrone set us up nicely and I believe that Shafer will continue the march.

Alsacs, please read my posts more carefully. I have no problem with you disagreeing with the vision of SU becoming NYC's college team.
Cheers,
Neil

Isn't it New Yorks College team or New York States team?

Comparing football to basketball is silly too. One plays almost 3 times as many games.

I also think its funny that some think we are lesser than rutgirls and UConn since they can draw a Michigan, Tennessee and others but poor ol SU can't.

I also thinks its funny that people think we can get home attendance to where it needs to be by playing all big OOC games in NJ or away. It also amazes me that so many want to put SU at a competitive disadvantage so often and think an Alabama in NJ is better for the program than a Miss St in the Dome.

We don't need 0-1-1's.

ABSOLUTELY! One and dones or 1-1-1's for MetLife opponents. Get 1-1's for non-MetLife deals, unless we can get better (6-4, 2-1). We always had big name schools in the Dome and we will again.

I am limiting this post to the above paragraph.

I'm not attacking your principles or ideas, only the practicality of the fact that MetLife probably does not care about the ACC games, with the exceptions of FSU, Clemson, and Miami. MetLife is a SIGNIFICANT partner in this arrangement. They are the ones controlling who plays us, NOT the SU AD. They have promised compelling games. Therefore, they will have input as to who we play.

Another point is that fans will want the above conference games in the Dome. This builds conference rivalries and pride.

Finally, the deal is for 10 games in 20 years. The PSU and ND deals are separate, if I recall. That said, if leveraging MetLife games for 1-1-1 works against tOSU, Michigan, Alabama, LSU, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, most fans would be happy to attend these games in the Dome.

The reality is that winning cures all ills. Teams that wanted to be the best have to beat top level and mid-level teams. Syracuse was always a target of these schools. Playing in the Dome is difficult when Syracuse fans have something to cheer for. The pressure is on Shafer and Co. to continue winning and improving the team. If Syracuse is a winning school, visiting schools will have no issue playing in the Dome. Marrone set us up nicely and I believe that Shafer will continue the march.

If Metlife is helping us get games that is news to me, but I believe you if you know that. I have no problem 1-1-1 or even 2-1-1 deals as they are good for the program. 0-1-1 deals are what I am against. The Notre Dame and Penn State games are not part of the 10 game commitment to Metlife. I believe the USC game was part of the commitment, but unless we are getting 1 game deals at Metlife these games will be the responsibility of SU to schedule and not Metlife.

First off we are having a legit discussion which I think is healthy and have no problem with your position and points as they legit and have a lot strength in them.

In relation to SU basketball our brand is one of the best in NYC because we have won a lot in the Big East and NYC is a college basketball market. NYC cares about college basketball unlike college football IMO as the Giants, Jets dominate the football market, but in college basketball Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, St. John's, UConn all play in the city. St. John's used to own the city, but their decline while SU has stayed consistently a national player has allowed SU basketball to command attention in NYC. I don't think a lot of non-SU alums are a SU fans per se, but they like our program because of the winning we have done in the Big East. Also, NYC is a hotbed for college basketball players. Most of the country recruits NYC HS talent for their programs unlike in college football where there may be 1 or 2 4/5 star football recruits their are lots more basketball recruits coming out of NYC each year.

I don't believe anyone thinks the MetLife contract was signed with the intent of bringing lower level opponents to an 80K plus stadium. So I would rather we keep our commitment in spirit as well as whatever is in writing, but understand if both parties agree the experiment should not proceed and mutually agree to end the contract before it's actual expiration date that is fine.

As for continuing to brand ourselves by playing the MetLife games with lesser opponents from the ACC, I don't see the logic in suggesting that at all. I understand your saying well, if we have to play there because we are legally bound to, then just put some of the lesser ACC match ups there.

Continuing to brand ourselves as New York's College Team but then turning around and doing what you suggest would only hurt the branding, not help it, imho. It would be like agreeing to play an average basketball program at MSG every other year that has no connection to the city or not likely to generate much interest in the city in terms of the sport.

As for your point about St. John's once owning the city (was that ever true?) then SU's and UConn's rise can be correlated to these programs beating St. John's consistently enough while also getting national attention for their overall seasons. It basically mimics what happened in college football in the city when Army was clearly the favorite team and Notre Dame came in and consistently beat them while gaining national stature. Seems to me that NYC loves winners, they especially love winners they can claim as their own.

On the recruiting end, keep in mind that MetLife is physically located in northern New Jersey so add those recruits into an increasing NYC pool of recruits, but agree that no one is signing on to the MetLife games on either side mainly because of recruiting. Both sides (SU and whoever signs to play us there) are doing so for TV exposure in the northeast and fundraising. Can SU get Michigan to come to the Dome. Sure. Can SU get USC to come to the Dome. Again, sure. That's where they were going to play us. We moved that game, not them, unless they were going to exercise a buyout clause that I am unaware of.

The question remains, how often can we get a major OOC college football power to the Dome?

In the Old Big East we seemed to get one every other year, but once Miami and VT left, it's basically been one every 4 years in the Dome. FSU in 2004 (a consolation gift for not making it into the ACC and the fact we were in desperate need of a game), PSU in 2008, and then what was going to have been USC in 2012.

Maybe now that we are in a solid conference again we might go back to one every other year, but with three of the four other power conferences going to 9 game conference schedules we're competing with a lot of others for a limited number of possibilities. The MetLife solution might be the deciding factor in getting a Michigan or a Nebraska, or a Texas to sign to play us and beat out others in the future, it might not. We don't know fully yet.

As for your point about many big time basketball programs playing in NYC that is true. But the number of big-time football programs playing in the city is going to increase between Rutgers joining the Big Ten, SU with its MetLife contract, and the new fad of "neutral" site games going on all over the country. It obviously will never equal college basketball in sheer numbers, but the percentage difference will start to close, especially if the MetLife games ultimately prove to be a success.

Cheers,
Neil

I don't believe anyone thinks the MetLife contract was signed with the intent of bringing lower level opponents to an 80K plus stadium. So I would rather we keep our commitment in spirit as well as whatever is in writing, but understand if both parties agree the experiment should not proceed and mutually agree to end the contract before it's actual expiration date that is fine.

As for continuing to brand ourselves by playing the MetLife games with lesser opponents from the ACC, I don't see the logic in suggesting that at all. I understand your saying well, if we have to play there because we are legally bound to, then just put some of the lesser ACC match ups there.

Continuing to brand ourselves as New York's College Team but then turning around and doing what you suggest would only hurt the branding, not help it, imho. It would be like agreeing to play an average basketball program at MSG every other year that has no connection to the city or not likely to generate much interest in the city in terms of the sport.

As for your point about St. John's once owning the city (was that ever true?) then SU's and UConn's rise can be correlated to these programs beating St. John's consistently enough while also getting national attention for their overall seasons. It basically mimics what happened in college football in the city when Army was clearly the favorite team and Notre Dame came in and consistently beat them while gaining national stature. Seems to me that NYC loves winners, they especially love winners they can claim as their own.

On the recruiting end, keep in mind that MetLife is physically located in northern New Jersey so add those recruits into an increasing NYC pool of recruits, but agree that no one is signing on to the MetLife games on either side mainly because of recruiting. Both sides (SU and whoever signs to play us there) are doing so for TV exposure in the northeast and fundraising. Can SU get Michigan to come to the Dome. Sure. Can SU get USC to come to the Dome. Again, sure. That's where they were going to play us. We moved that game, not them, unless they were going to exercise a buyout clause that I am unaware of.

The question remains, how often can we get a major OOC college football power to the Dome?

In the Old Big East we seemed to get one every other year, but once Miami and VT left, it's basically been one every 4 years in the Dome. FSU in 2004 (a consolation gift for not making it into the ACC and the fact we were in desperate need of a game), PSU in 2008, and then what was going to have been USC in 2012.

Maybe now that we are in a solid conference again we might go back to one every other year, but with three of the four other power conferences going to 9 game conference schedules we're competing with a lot of others for a limited number of possibilities. The MetLife solution might be the deciding factor in getting a Michigan or a Nebraska, or a Texas to sign to play us and beat out others in the future, it might not. We don't know fully yet.

As for your point about many big time basketball programs playing in NYC that is true. But the number of big-time football programs playing in the city is going to increase between Rutgers joining the Big Ten, SU with its MetLife contract, and the new fad of "neutral" site games going on all over the country. It obviously will never equal college basketball in sheer numbers, but the percentage difference will start to close, especially if the MetLife games ultimately prove to be a success.

Cheers,
Neil
I don't consider Pitt, Boston College, Louisville, NC State, Wake Forest to be low level opponents to Metlife. Playing these opponents accomplish many things. 1. We fulfill the Metlife agreement. 2. They will be annual opponents so they will still visit the Dome plenty of times. 3. They would be decent name schools which would get attendance figures similar to that of the USC game. 4. It would get an ACC conference game in the NYC area and help the ACC stake claim to that turf. 5. Those schools would be able to get enough alums to visit the NYC area where attendance wouldn't be a problem. These reasons are why I would use those opponents at Metlife and not low level games like Tulane, Wagner, Stony Brook, Toledo etc at Metlife. I am thinking of a solution that doesn't hurt Metlife as badly, and allows SU to fulfill its contract. Playing premiere opponents at Metlife is a no-go IMO unless they are 1 game deals or part of a 4 game series.

Syracuse can get home/homes with any B1G team except Michigan and Ohio State or SEC except Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU. IMO. Those teams play in 100k stadiums that won't give up home games unless they are playing a consistent top 25 program or playing in a recruiting hotbed. Bees made the perfect point I would rather play Mississippi State or Ole Miss at the Carrier Dome than Alabama at Metlife stadium and then following year play @Ole Miss/Miss State or @Alabama.

Isn't it New Yorks College team or New York States team?

Comparing football to basketball is silly too. One plays almost 3 times as many games.

Well, I think you need to reread my posts again as well. I talked about the campaign being a state wide campaign. Then I specifically said that New York state can basically be divided into two parts - Upstate New York and NYC metro area.

I then said we are already Upstate New York's College team and referenced the recent Sienna poll as to why I believe this to be. That basically means where we need work is the NYC metro area if one wants to make the campaign a reality instead of just words. Basketball was brought into the conversation because, imho, we can't do half a campaign. Either we do both or end the campaign altogether and just continue to schedule occasional basketball games at MSG for recruiting purposes and don't pretend it's for any other reason.

Cheers,
Neil

I don't consider Pitt, Boston College, Louisville, NC State, Wake Forest to be low level opponents to Metlife. Playing these opponents accomplish many things. 1. We fulfill the Metlife agreement. 2. They will be annual opponents so they will still visit the Dome plenty of times. 3. They would be decent name schools which would get attendance figures similar to that of the USC game. 4. It would get an ACC conference game in the NYC area and help the ACC stake claim to that turf. 5. Those schools would be able to get enough alums to visit the NYC area where attendance wouldn't be a problem. These reasons are why I would use those opponents at Metlife and not low level games like Tulane, Wagner, Stony Brook, Toledo etc at Metlife. I am thinking of a solution that doesn't hurt Metlife as badly, and allows SU to fulfill its contract. Playing premiere opponents at Metlife is a no-go IMO unless they are 1 game deals or part of a 4 game series.

Syracuse can get home/homes with any B1G team except Michigan and Ohio State or SEC except Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU. IMO. Those teams play in 100k stadiums that won't give up home games unless they are playing a consistent top 25 program or playing in a recruiting hotbed. Bees made the perfect point I would rather play Mississippi State or Ole Miss at the Carrier Dome than Alabama at Metlife stadium and then following year play @Ole Miss/Miss State or @Alabama.

You can understand if others would prefer the Alabama games, right? ;)

Anyways, I'm done. It's all opinion at this point in time. Either the MetLife games prove to be success or they will end much sooner than the 2038 time frame.

Cheers,
Neil

Why on Gods green earth, alsacs, should SU move ACC home games to Giants Stadium????

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Syracuse can barely scrape up Wagner, got a fla st freebie and had to go to mizzou...and u want to move conf games??!! Come on man!!

Look, Syracuse needs a minimum of 6 home games, they should have 1 of those be a BCS program worth a damn. In lieu (f the french btw) of another road game or a crappy home opponent because u and the high and mighty proud wont take a deal (nobody will show up anyway)...then I say play at Giants Stadium, cash a check...and make the NYC crowd happy going forward.

Easy stuff here...

Why on Gods green earth, alsacs, should SU move ACC home games to Giants Stadium????

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Syracuse can barely scrape up Wagner, got a fla st freebie and had to go to mizzou...and u want to move conf games??!! Come on man!!

Look, Syracuse needs a minimum of 6 home games, they should have 1 of those be a BCS program worth a damn. In lieu (f the french btw) of another road game or a crappy home opponent because u and the high and mighty proud wont take a deal (nobody will show up anyway)...then I say play at Giants Stadium, cash a check...and make the NYC crowd happy going forward.

Easy stuff here...
We have a contract with Metlife to play 10 games there. I don't want Syracuse to sign home/Metlife deals to fulfill that contract. That is my point by saying play ACC games there. Every 2 years BC, Wake, Pitt, Louisville, NC State will play in the Dome. If we are going to fulfill our Metlife contract and I believe we will because Dr. Gross won't give up the guaranteed money we have coming from the Metlife people moving conference games to Metlife allows SU to schedule non-conference games for the Dome and fulfill its contract. I don't want to play Tennessee @Knoxville then at Metlife or @Texas then at Metlife. I want those games at the Dome where they belong, and if we have to fulfill our contract go play Louisville at Metlife because the Cardinals will still come back to the Dome after 2 years.

Good luck with your position though as well as your ranting, I will be watching intently to see if it works out.

I for one am rooting for 1 and 1's with Bama, ND, Michigan, USC, Ped State, LSU, Ohio State, etc. I honestly hope that it happens without MetLife, but my feeling based on the evidence against it is that it won't.
You're the one off on an island. The rest of us don't care for such arrangements.

1, maybe 2, per decade can be swallowed. Anything more is outrageous.

1-offs and 1-1-1 deals for MetLife are the only arrangements that can get a consensus here.

Note: nobody says that all NYC deals are bad... even the townies... as long as all high profile games aren't limited to MetLife.

To echo Alsacs: if they don't want to play in the Dome then we don't want to play there either.

#hardnosed bleeding Orange

Alsacs, I agree with many of your points, but we aren't moving conference games to NJ.

Well, I think you need to reread my posts again as well. I talked about the campaign being a state wide campaign. Then I specifically said that New York state can basically be divided into two parts - Upstate New York and NYC metro area.

I then said we are already Upstate New York's College team and referenced the recent Sienna poll as to why I believe this to be. That basically means where we need work is the NYC metro area if one wants to make the campaign a reality instead of just words. Basketball was brought into the conversation because, imho, we can't do half a campaign. Either we do both or end the campaign altogether and just continue to schedule occasional basketball games at MSG for recruiting purposes and don't pretend it's for any other reason.

Cheers,
Neil

The post I responded to said NYC's College team. We haven't marketed ourselves as such.

i'm pretty sure the arrangement with metlife gives them some say on type of opponent and it won't be conference games

You're the one off on an island. The rest of us don't care for such arrangements.

1, maybe 2, per decade can be swallowed. Anything more is outrageous.

1-offs and 1-1-1 deals for MetLife are the only arrangements that can get a consensus here.

Note: nobody says that all NYC deals are bad... even the townies... as long as all high profile games aren't limited to MetLife.

To echo Alsacs: if they don't want to play in the Dome then we don't want to play there either.

#hardnosed bleeding Orange

Moontan, did you read the post?

I agreed that I want 1-1 HOME AND HOME games at the dome, it is just my opinion that they won't happen with the money, exposure and the "event" kind of bowl feel that Metlife brings to the table.

What makes you the expert on what SU's vision is and what they have tried to do or even negotiated with?

Saving it because he copped an attitude and called out another poster. Read his post again. It was Alsacs opinion. Just like you said they are all opinions.

How did I "cop an attitude"? I simply posted an opposite point of view than his and presented facts. It seems that all of the attitude and attacks are in Alsacs posts. Why are his responses to my argument not being saved.

Oh that's right, you agree with him and his argument so I must be in the wrong. Seems you have made a thing of taking the opposite standpoint from whatever I say on this board.

Got it now, must agree and will do so going forward.

Thanks for the tip.

Based on the other million threads on this topic I don't believe this to be true. Local ticket holders don't like or hate the arrangement and then many out of staters/downstaters who don't care, don't think it's a big deal, and/or think it's a great idea.

The post I responded to said NYC's College team. We haven't marketed ourselves as such.

And had you gone back and re-read the entire dialogue (posts plural, as I suggested) between Alsacs and myself you would have found that once I broke down being New York's College Team into the two parts - being upstate New York's College Team and being NYC metro area's College Team, Alsacs emphatically said

"Syracuse football is NEVER going to be New York City's team EVER."

To which I replied in the follow-up post:

"I have no problem with you disagreeing with the vision of SU becoming NYC's college team."

Then you chimed in implying with your reply that I don't know what the campaign or the vision is when it's clearly obvious to anyone who retained the entire dialogue that I do.

Anyway, I had hoped to steer the direction to answering the question I posed in my original post which was:

"Is it time to give up that campaign, to stop trying to overreach and simply be upstate's college team (which the recent Sienna poll demonstrates quite clearly we are) or do we have a bigger broader vision?"

The rest of the back-and-forth is all silly as I also discussed in that initial post since everything each side says to support their side of the argument focusing solely on the schedule and not the vision can be turned around on its ear and used by the other side.

I say again, it's about identity. And that is what the discussion should be focused, imho. It's the only part of the discussion that is worth having at this time, again, imho. There is no right or wrong answer when doing so, but sometimes a true identity can be found by having that discussion.

Anyway, I truly am done with this thread since the majority of posts still talk mostly about season ticket holders being cheated and those not seen as season ticket holders just wanting a game nearby them.

Cheers,
Neil

How did I "cop an attitude"? I simply posted an opposite point of view than his and presented facts. It seems that all of the attitude and attacks are in Alsacs posts. Why are his responses to my argument not being saved.

Oh that's right, you agree with him and his argument so I must be in the wrong. Seems you have made a thing of taking the opposite standpoint from whatever I say on this board.

Got it now, must agree and will do so going forward.

Thanks for the tip.

Actually I don't completely agree with him. I disagree about conference games being moved. So I guess you're wrong there. As to your initial reply to him, go read it again. If you want, I can copy and paste it for you.

In my opinion, the question that needs be asked is simply:

Is it more beneficial to the program to lose a game at MetLife when considering the financial implications and big stage exposure than win a game against a name opponent of equal or lesser prestige in Syracuse?

For a team struggling to get out of a financial hole or have any semblance of a competitive team, the answer may have been different than it is currently. It is a very difficult questions because there are only a select few privy to scheduling discussions.

I do not think many here will disagree that SU had a better chance to beat SC in The Dome as opposed to MetLife. That was a game that was scheduled to be in Syracuse but was moved to MetLife. Fully realizing what happened to the Trojans over the remainder of the season, a win in that game would have been a program changer immediately in my opinion and would have far outweighed any paycheck SU got for playing at MetLife or national attention due to a "close loss" in MetLife.

I am not completely opposed to playing games in MetLife. However, at this stage I think the program has enough cache to merit home and homes against even some of the national heavyweights. There are just too many examples of these types of series in other locations (ie other schools).

I join with the 1-1-1 thoughts frankly. Even a Florida or Texas coming to The Dome would be on TV in the New York market and are certainly close enough for rabid downstate fans to make the trip.

The X factor in the future to me is how strength of schedule/neutral location games will be factored into the playoff. It also truly becomes a question of whether we are better off playing a second tier national name like Wisconsin, Miss. State, etc. in Syracuse than a top name in MetLife.

At this point, I would be looking for the location that gives SU the best chance to win and the rest will take care of itself.

SUOrange44

Listen, I agree with most of what your saying Htown but Metlife isn't guaranteeing top level opponents. We have no documentation of that all they are doing is providing SU with a check and SU must supply the game at Metlife. I have no problem with playing a game in Metlife every other year, but not at the expense of our season ticket holders losing very appealing home games in the process.

Comparing basketball to football isn't the same thing SU basketball is the top brand in NYC, while SU football is not the same in NYC. I agree these games are to play off the New York College's Team image that Dr. Gross has created for SU, but we shouldn't be playing our top non-conference games in Metlife. If Syracuse can get teams to play 1 game series in Metlife we should do it, but we shouldn't play opponents at their home stadium and then have the return game 250 miles away from SU's home field.

If we have six home games in the dome, including conference games against teams like FSU or Clemson, BC, UNC, and/or NCSt, what is the down side? Do we need 7 home games to energize the local fans (of which I am one)? Out schedule will still be good. And we will still have six games.

Notre Dame is the top football brand because they attract a lot of non-alum Catholics as fans and the Northeast in the era you are refering to was full of Irish Catholics to latch onto ND as their team.

Where are all of the football loving Protestants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom