Michigan coach Brady Hoke says he'd like to play SU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Michigan coach Brady Hoke says he'd like to play SU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well in fairness, most of the discussion isn't about Hoke or Michigan, but rather about MetLife and those games.

Actually I don't completely agree with him. I disagree about conference games being moved. So I guess you're wrong there. As to your initial reply to him, go read it again. If you want, I can copy and paste it for you.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Please do, I would love to see what I did that was so wrong that my post gets saved.

You act like nobody gets "called out" for their opinion on this board. Please highlight the "calling out" and "copping an attitude" when you copy and paste. For the record, the post you saved was a response to you, not him.

And FYI...Alsacs has "called out" many posters on this subject multiple times, not just me and "copped more attitude" than I ever have on here.

Syracuse football is NEVER going to be New York City's team EVER. Michigan and Notre Dame football are both bigger than Syracuse in New York City and likely will remain that way. The only way we will become NYC's football team is for the University to go public and have bigger enrollment than we currently have and pump out lots of alums into the area and we maintain our brand. I have no problem with playing games at Metlife as they are good to give downstate alums in the area an easy game to attend and give a bowl type of environment for the players during the regular season, but we can't fill up the freaking Carrier Dome which is 49.6k max capacity and we are moving games 250 miles away to a 72k stadium we can't fill up on our own.
SU already does this.
Playing Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State type programs at their stadium which will have a hostile road environments then the following year play at Metlife will result in a game that should give SU home field advantage into neutral site games AT best. There were 39k people for USC at the game last year if we played Michigan or Notre Dame at Metlife the game would sellout but would have more Michigan or Notre Dame fans in the stadium which is a joke for a program like we have. These type of arrangements are what MAC, Sun Belt teams do with SEC, B1G teams when they need paydays. Syracuse with ACC money doesn't need the money as badly. Syracuse receives no benefit from playing these games. Again, I have talked with Dr. Gross about this subject and he told me the reason we signed the ND series was it was the only way to get them on the schedule and we needed to explore as many revenue streams as we possibly could based on the current conference situation scheduling 5 non-conference games.

What is wrong with playing Boston College, Pitt, Louisville, NC State, Wake Forest in Metlife on a rotating basis and getting 35k there while playing our non-conference games at home where they belong.
I think the MetLife games should continue, but with 1-1-1 or 1-time series only. No more Home and MetLife. I understand your position. I really do. But your last statement feels very defeatist and small-time.

Please do, I would love to see what I did that was so wrong that my post gets saved.

You act like nobody gets "called out" for their opinion on this board. Please highlight the "calling out" and "copping an attitude" when you copy and paste. For the record, the post you saved was a response to you, not him.

And FYI...Alsacs has "called out" many posters on this subject multiple times, not just me and "copped more attitude" than I ever have on here.

Post #19.

I don't consider Pitt, Boston College, Louisville, NC State, Wake Forest to be low level opponents to Metlife. Playing these opponents accomplish many things. 1. We fulfill the Metlife agreement. 2. They will be annual opponents so they will still visit the Dome plenty of times. 3. They would be decent name schools which would get attendance figures similar to that of the USC game. 4. It would get an ACC conference game in the NYC area and help the ACC stake claim to that turf. 5. Those schools would be able to get enough alums to visit the NYC area where attendance wouldn't be a problem. These reasons are why I would use those opponents at Metlife and not low level games like Tulane, Wagner, Stony Brook, Toledo etc at Metlife. I am thinking of a solution that doesn't hurt Metlife as badly, and allows SU to fulfill its contract. Playing premiere opponents at Metlife is a no-go IMO unless they are 1 game deals or part of a 4 game series.
I don't consider Pitt, Boston College, Louisville, NC State, Wake Forest to be low-level opponents either. However, I do consider them conference games. And conference games should NEVER be played at a neutral site, IMO. And we will never play games like Tulane, Wagner, Stony Brook, Toledo at MetLife. Not an option (in fact, I would think that the contract has language to that effect written in, maybe not by name, but I would be surprised if the contract didn't require a 'BCS team').

Post #19.

Wow, I better watch my step along with everybody else if that is all it takes on this board to be "saved" and watched going forward.

Seems pretty tame to me but whatever. Alsacs did a pretty good job of defending himself without admin help and he usually does which I give him credit for.

CuseOnly and Alsacs are both exc posters...both offer opinions with posting styles that IMHO are no different than many others.

It is all good in my book...it is early June...at least they give us something to read in this slow period.

I actually enjoy being the black sheep somewhat.

This subject just seems to stick in my craw a little more than most as I am pretty sure it does with Alsacs and generates a more heated discussion.

Everytime I think of people wanting to move premiere games to Metlife I think of this piece.

We are Syracuse NOT University at Buffalo. I don't expect to snap our fingers and get Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Michigan in the Dome each year, but we shouldn't act small time. That piece makes me appreciate Doug Marrone even more and that is why I wasn't part of the group ripping the guy for leaving he literally saved our program. We don't need Metlife unless we are getting 1-1-1 deals or even 2-1-1 deals. While I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but you should realize that my position is because we are small private schools pumping out 3k alums a year we aren't a state school pumping out more alums a year. We need to build our fanbase from CNY and not NYC. I have no problem throwing a bone down state occasionally for recruiting, high donors, and mid/early season bowl type of game, but playing at an opponent's home stadium then having the return game 250 miles from our homefield AND asking the fans to pay for the additional game, drive/fly down to the game, and spend the excess dollars is not smart business IMO.

I actually enjoy being the black sheep somewhat.

This subject just seems to stick in my craw a little more than most as I am pretty sure it does with Alsacs and generates a more heated discussion.
Listen I have no problem with a different type of view just realize I don't appreciate being told to basically drop a legitimate argument.

Listen I have no problem with a different type of view just realize I don't appreciate being told to basically drop a legitimate argument.

We will have to agree to disagree on this subject and I didn't mean for you to drop it as I knew you wouldn't. You and I have had this discussion before on this board. I have all the respect in the world for other points of view and FWIW I knew you wouldn't drop the argument or change your opinion. It appears you are as stubborn as I am.

That doesn't mean we can't have a spirited conversation. Which I would think would be encouraged here.

At the end of the day, this thread points out that there's 3 tiers of college football programs.

1. Really haves
2. Haves
3. Have nots

I think most people agree that Syracuse is a Have. Some of us understand what features and benefits that comes with...and ones which it does not. Others understand Syracuse is a have, but cop the attitude of a really have.

Other haves don't the unique ability and opportunity to play in Giants Stadium and have NO ONE on a National level bat an eye, yet folks think it demeans the program. Hell this thread has taking such a turn alsacs lost his mind and wants to play wake forest in the Meadowlands.

Playing Giants Stadium as often as possible is the smart move, we just need to play a Really Have and cnyers need to realize its a good thing because Alabama isn't going to Dome. That ship has sailed.

Y2K got it, its just no one realized it at the time.

At the end of the day, this thread points out that there's 3 tiers of college football programs.

1. Really haves
2. Haves
3. Have nots

I think most people agree that Syracuse is a Have. Some of us understand what features and benefits that comes with...and ones which it does not. Others understand Syracuse is a have, but cop the attitude of a really have.

Other haves don't the unique ability and opportunity to play in Giants Stadium and have NO ONE on a National level bat an eye, yet folks think it demeans the program. Hell this thread has taking such a turn alsacs lost his mind and wants to play wake forest in the Meadowlands.

Playing Giants Stadium as often as possible is the smart move, we just need to play a Really Have and cnyers need to realize its a good thing because Alabama isn't going to Dome. That ship has sailed.

Y2K got it, its just no one realized it at the time.
Listen we are a Have I agree with that.

The really haves IMO are Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, USC, Florida State, Notre Dame

The rest of the ACC, B1G, SEC, Big XII, and Pac-12, BYU are HAVES

Everything else is a half not.

Good job of taking my suggestion for solving a contract we signed and spinning it out control. I don't WANT Syracuse to play Wake Forest at Metlife Stadium. My statement was we have a contract to play at Metlife Stadium and in order to fulfill that contract I would rather fulfill by playing Louisville, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, and NC State at Metlife Stadium rather than signing Metlife/opponent's home stadium agreements. All those ACC teams will play at the Dome plenty of times where missing them each 1 time wouldn't alienate our home schedule that much and would allow Dr. Gross to fulfill the contract he signed with the Metlife people. How the hell is that hard to follow. I don't want to play Alabama in Tuscaloosa one year and then the next year at Metlife. We don't need to play them if they won't play us at the Dome. That ship may have sailed and fine if it has, but go and play Texas Tech or Mississippi State at the Dome and then at their place.

That is my position and I am sticking to it and thankfully Dr. Gross has heard my position from my mouth and understands it.

Listen we are a Have I agree with that.

The really haves IMO are Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia, Tennessee Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, USC, Florida State, Notre Dame

The rest of the ACC, B1G, SEC, Big XII, and Pac-12, BYU are HAVES

Everything else is a half not.

Good job of taking my suggestion for solving a contract we signed and spinning it out control. I don't WANT Syracuse to play Wake Forest at Metlife Stadium. My statement was we have a contract to play at Metlife Stadium and in order to fulfill that contract I would rather fulfill by playing Louisville, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Wake Forest, and NC State at Metlife Stadium rather than signing Metlife/opponent's home stadium agreements. All those ACC teams will play at the Dome plenty of times where missing them each 1 time wouldn't alienate our home schedule that much and would allow Dr. Gross to fulfill the contract he signed with the Metlife people. How the hell is that hard to follow. I don't want to play Alabama in Tuscaloosa one year and then the next year at Metlife. We don't need to play them if they won't play us at the Dome. That ship may have sailed and fine if it has, but go and play Texas Tech or Mississippi State at the Dome and then at their place.

That is my position and I am sticking to it and thankfully Dr. Gross has heard my position from my mouth and understands it.
It was too easy a spin to take, I like your opinionated ness, but any ACC game at Giants Stadium would be an unmitigated disaster PR wise.

IMO, every game at Giants Stadium should be a 1 off.

However, if we get a really cool road trip out of a deal, then I'm all for it.

If they don't go to the Dome...so be it.

And if the University is too goddamn inept to get somebody else cool in the Dome when we are doing a 1 off or a 1-1-0, then shame on them for we can get some Really Haves into the Dome.

would giving season ticket holders the option of buying metlife tickets at 25% reduced rate be an option to placate the season ticket base that feels so strongly about games in the dome only?

would giving season ticket holders the option of buying metlife tickets at 25% reduced rate be an option to placate the season ticket base that feels so strongly about games in the dome only?
Again, I am talking about 1-0-1 deals when talking about the Metlife games. I only used the fact their are additional costs to season ticket holders as one negative. If we played Metlife games as 1 game series or neutral site affairs like Texas-Oklahoma or Georgia-Florida then I have no problem with the games. I LOVE this Penn State game we have this year as it isn't an SU home game and gets all the benefits people want in playing NYC games. If teams will play us in Metlife split the gate in whatever way negotiated and SU didn't have to play at their home field do it. Just don't sell out your home base in terrible deals.

Wow, I better watch my step along with everybody else if that is all it takes on this board to be "saved" and watched going forward.

Seems pretty tame to me but whatever. Alsacs did a pretty good job of defending himself without admin help and he usually does which I give him credit for.

Those type of posts, which you've made multiple times since you joined, wont be tolerated on the sports boards.

Would love to give Michigan an ass kicking. They've been real recruiting competitors for us lately.

Would love to give Michigan an ass kicking. They've been real recruiting competitors for us lately.

Not sure we've really competed with them... Besides sugarbear and crume have we really won any battles from them and even those two may have had conditional offers

I have never told anyone to let it go and basically tell them to about something. If I have an opinion I say it and if people agree or disagree its up to them. I will say your original response to me was basically to and that is why I and some are saying it was an attitude. Agree to disagree, but don't tell people to basically be quiet.

I realize people disagree with my position and I am okay if they do because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I will always be as respectful as I can be. That is the crux of the situation agree to disagree, but don't tell people to let opinions go on subjects nobody is right or wrong.

Again, I am talking about 1-0-1 deals when talking about the Metlife games. I only used the fact their are additional costs to season ticket holders as one negative. If we played Metlife games as 1 game series or neutral site affairs like Texas-Oklahoma or Georgia-Florida then I have no problem with the games. I LOVE this Penn State game we have this year as it isn't an SU home game and gets all the benefits people want in playing NYC games. If teams will play us in Metlife split the gate in whatever way negotiated and SU didn't have to play at their home field do it. Just don't sell out your home base in terrible deals.

and metlife games should be in years where we have 6 home games already

and metlife games should be in years where we have 6 home games already

Those type of posts, which you've made multiple times since you joined, wont be tolerated on the sports boards.

OK bees, you win. I won't frequent this board or post here any longer.

Thanks for your "tolerance".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors