Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

Thanks for your concern, but I think we'll be just fine. Good luck with keeping them there.
Power grid that works no matter how cold the weather gets and an abundant supply of fresh water bodes well! Step aside Cosmo and Frank, CNY = the place to be!
th

Its always made me question some decisions, yes NY is one of the worst small business environments in the US. but a lot of these tech companies Micron in Boise and Intel in Phoenix. These plants including Global Foundries in Malta require immense amount of water and electricity, but specifically water. The "rust belts" come back is going to be our precious resource of water.

On a side note I hope this doesn't inflate my football and parking pass tickets.. I don't do bball due to the already inflated price for tickets for the current product.

i have been chirping for years how Syracuse football is the best bang for your buck in P5 football.

Its always made me question some decisions, yes NY is one of the worst small business environments in the US. but a lot of these tech companies Micron in Boise and Intel in Phoenix. These plants including Global Foundries in Malta require immense amount of water and electricity, but specifically water. The "rust belts" come back is going to be our precious resource of water.

On a side note I hope this doesn't inflate my football and parking pass tickets.. I don't do bball due to the already inflated price for tickets for the current product.

i have been chirping for years how Syracuse football is the best bang for your buck in P5 football.
You should be locked into the going rate when you bought season tickets. Reward loyalty.

Bandwagoning newbies pay market price.

It is exciting to have something this big happening in our backyard. Micron sounds like a terrific fit with the region. Just the type of company we would ideally bring in. Awesome job by everyone involved.

Some general thoughts:

That sleepy exit for Caughdenoy Road on I81N just a couple of miles north of the exit for Route 11/Drivers Village is going to get used a lot more. There is no matching entrance to I-81 from Caughdenoy. That is surely going to have to change. Thinking we are going to need an exit heading south on I81 as well.

Hoping that we do see development of the rail line that runs from downtown Syracuse north to White Pines for commuter traffic for White Pines workers. Make a nice station downtown (it is a shame we lost the one OnTrack was using).

Add a station at White Pines and maybe ones in Brewerton and Liverpool too (the village would be cool but maybe off Wetzel or Buckley would be easier; more accessible, more land for parking, etc.).

What would really be cool is, if we have regular traffic and cars and engines and all the infrastructure and support needed to run a rail line for people, if special runs could be developed to take fans to and from Syracuse sporting events. Bring back OnTrack.

People could get off their shift at the Micron plant, take the train downtown, get some food and drink, head to the game, take the train back downtown (or to Liverpool or wherever their cars and homes are).

I think the rail line roughly parallels I81 north to Watertown, where it runs past Fort Drum and then up to Canada. Could even have special trains from Watertown and Fort Drum.

Is this kind of a scenario even remotely possible?

Yes

I was impressed with the foresight of the county Exec to be buying up property for years with this result being the goal. Belief without evidence.
I think they said they lost out on the Taiwan mega fab because the site at the time wasn’t big enough.

Waxing a bit here… I think there will need to be a significant population influx to make this work. I know they’re talking about training the local unemployed workforce but how realistic is that? Doesn’t this kind of skilled labor require 4 year degrees? Just asking…

I’ve been to the Austin area in the summer, it is really hot. You seldom see anybody outside. Better climate in Central New York and cheaper real estate
My middle son lives there with his family. (Outside Austin) With the huge growth in industry and migration to Texas especially from California, the home prices have skyrocketed. As a result, their property taxes have also skyrocketed. His property taxes increased over 40% in a single year. He has a pool that they love yet because of the heat, they don’t use it unless it’s early morning or after dinner because the pool water is too warm. His former 45 minute commute has doubled because of all the housing developments and the new Tesla and Amazon facilities. Lots of infrastructure work - new highways being built, roads expanded.

The possible synergies between Micron and SU are obvious. We should be able to attract leading teachers in the technology field here. We should become more in-demand for students looking to get into this field who will then stay here and work for Micron or its spin-offs.

While I don't know how it will impact athletic recruiting, maybe we can, uh, cherry-pick some of Ga. Tech's recruits? Or perhaps MIT's?

Regardless, this is huge for the CNY region and the university. I'm thrilled.
Community colleges will certainly develop curriculum for entry level workers.

I think they said they lost out on the Taiwan mega fab because the site at the time wasn’t big enough.

Waxing a bit here… I think there will need to be a significant population influx to make this work. I know they’re talking about training the local unemployed workforce but how realistic is that? Doesn’t this kind of skilled labor require 4 year degrees? Just asking…
Early on probably pilfer from Lockheed, Wolfspeed, and a couple smaller tech companies in the area (JMA?)

Agreed that there still will need to be a migration to the area to fill vital roles.

This is huge huge news that most want to discuss. But anyone that try’s to turn it into a political discussion will be banned from this thread.

So, we are not allowed to thank the Governor, the Senator and the President?

This is the best single thing to happen for CNY since the formation of the finger lakes and the salt deposit. This is unquestionably one of the most important investments that will occur globally in the next 10 years.
It is a transformative event. One that will for the next 50 plus years shape the area.

Greenville SC landed the BMW plant and in a very short time went from a dead post textile city to one of the highest ranked mid cities in the country.
This is a miracle for CNY. It will forever change the region.

Power grid that works no matter how cold the weather gets and an abundant supply of fresh water bodes well! Step aside Cosmo and Frank, CNY = the place to be!
th
Unwarranted cheap shot at something that was a once in a decade happening and another thing that is uncontrollable. A quick look at census numbers and migration shows us CNYers have little room to talk here…

Unwarranted cheap shot at something that was a once in a decade happening and another thing that is uncontrollable. A quick look at census numbers and migration shows us CNYers have little room to talk here…

Nope.

Just an acknowledgement that our power grid is solid and reliable and we have a ton of water.

If you take offense, get thicker skin. Nobody here cares about your feelings or crusty state and we aren’t walking on eggshells. This is pro CNY forward progress stuff. Support us or piss off. If other states are crying about losing out, perhaps they should self reflect.

Nope.

Just an acknowledgement that our power grid is solid and reliable and we have a ton of water.

If you take offense, get thicker skin. Nobody here cares about your feelings or crusty state and we aren’t walking on eggshells. This is pro CNY forward progress stuff. Support us or piss off. If other states are crying about losing out, perhaps they should self reflect.
What? I’m a CNY lifer and want nothing more than for economic revitalization and a reversal of decades worth of poor policies. I’m just being objective and also defending our Orange Texans whom you seized the opportunity to score political points with. Also let me know how our power grid is holding up in <15 years when everyone is charging their cars (made in TX) since we won’t have the choice of buying anything else.