Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

Well, when they break ground on the first fabricator plant, then Micron can come up with money to help these universities draw professors from the Bay Area or from Texas. Lots of chip companies were born in both places.
Born in NJ, moved to California, and then heavily backed financially by Syracuse grad Arthur Rock. This is a bit of a “full circle” moment.

Excellent opportunity for Oswego to fill a niche for Micron, Wolfspeed and Global Foundries. I hope they see that and find out what the companies need.
Worked a project with GLOBALFOUNDRIES in Burlington and Malta. They would ban you for life for the space in the name and lower case letters! I had my first Procedures Manual rejected and had to rewrite a 1200 page document for that mistake. Thank god (and Bill Gates) for Find and Replace!

Excellent opportunity for Oswego to fill a niche for Micron, Wolfspeed and Global Foundries. I hope they see that and find out what the companies need.
If Micron is just fabrication no need for high end design and development engineering. Need quality, supply chain, manufacturing management, high tech maintenance.

Worked a project with GLOBALFOUNDRIES in Burlington and Malta. They would ban you for life for the space in the name and lower case letters! I had my first Procedures Manual rejected and had to rewrite a 1200 page document for that mistake. Thank god (and Bill Gates) for Find and Replace!
That's interesting. I never knew it was one word, but now I see the paper has one word, but small letters.

Last edited:
If Micron is just fabrication no need for high end design and development engineering. Need quality, supply chain, manufacturing management, high tech maintenance.
And of course skilled labor.

That's interesting. I never knew it was one word, but now I see the paper has one word, but small letters.
Yes, I noticed that they only capitalize the G and the F now.

That was an expensive project for me. Bartender at the Hilton in Burlington across the street from Lake Champlain gave me my first Heady Topper and I haven’t been able to drink cheap, mainstream beer ever since!!

Because I shopped there and went there for movies for 30 years.

If Micron is going to build a major plant just down the road, that would seem to make reopening the mall something to consider.
Yeah, how cool would it be if they could refurbish that mall and modernize it. Population increase may demand it. Does Pyramid own it?

Yeah, how cool would it be if they could refurbish that mall and modernize it. Population increase may demand it. Does Pyramid own it?
Great Northern I thought was taken over by Clay as the property owner was not paying the taxes.

Because I shopped there and went there for movies for 30 years.

If Micron is going to build a major plant just down the road, that would seem to make reopening the mall something to consider.
So did I . Don’t miss it for a second.

Great Northern I thought was taken over by Clay as the property owner was not paying the taxes.
It was bought last year. Slated for mixed purpose development, not unlike what is planned for Shoppingtown.

Expect apartments, townhomes, entertainment venues, restaurants, and medical offices.

Maybe they will bring back the theatres,

It was bought last year. Slated for mixed purpose development, not unlike what is planned for Shoppingtown.

Expect apartments, townhomes, entertainment venues, restaurants, and medical offices.

If they are smart, they will wait it out a bit before deciding what to put in there.

If they are smart, they will wait it out a bit before deciding what to put in there.

I don’t know what but they’ve been doing something inside on the Sears end.

What about Penn-Can mall? That's more where I grew up. Is anything still there?

It's driver's Village now, owned by the Burdick group. There are a few non-automotive places, like the tax accountant I go to and a sandwich shop. But the rest is all cars. I've bought my last few cars there and had them serviced, so that's good. But I might have spent as much time in the Penn-Can mall as my house.

If Guy Hart is involved. I’ll believe it when I see it…..

If Guy Hart is involved. I’ll believe it when I see it…..

Both shopping town and great northern are gonna be long haul projects. Tons of issues to be worked out including tax issues, lawsuits, $$$ availability etc. I don't expect anything major for either site for years

Both shopping town and great northern are gonna be long haul projects. Tons of issues to be worked out including tax issues, lawsuits, $$$ availability etc. I don't expect anything major for either site for years
I think this is true for Shoppingtown, where ownership of the property is split.

I don’t think this is true for Great Northern Mall. Given the acute need for housing, especially in that area, and the strong government support for it, I expect this to get completed quickly. If this doesn’t happen, the developer is a bonehead.

Certainly. I’m involved in the shopping town project. We’re going through eminent domain right now.

Regarding Great Northern. I am going off Hart’s history of “projects” in the Syracuse area. There’s a lot of BS he spews. Many get planned. Nothing happens. So I’ll believe that one when I see it.

Sounds like a ripe opportunity for someone to buy it and modernize it to become the prime shopping location for the incoming population to Clay. Great thinking by SWC75 , as usual.
Let's build up downtown Syracuse as a living and shopping location for alot of those workers too.