Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

Glad someone remembers me fondly.

On that note if the moderator would kindly add an “apostrophe s” to my name that would be appreciated. I was limited by character count but see that others were given exemptions.
Was that really you? If so you are a legend sir. You could certainly slang a pie.
I thought Franco’s was Camillus Mall and Pavones was Fairmount Fair.
I believe you are right. Being from Solvay I used to hang out at both malls.

On a side note can I have local Solvay resident added instead of living legend? I tried to do it but gave up.

It has not. Nothing has changed at all. The site work was done last year. Todays article explicitly says they break ground in November.

I live directly across the street. There has been no site prep work. The only thing they did was a core sampling for like 3 days

The county took the houses down - but there are still structures up on the one residential road. I am on record saying I don't think they will actually build what they said.

I live directly across the street. There has been no site prep work. The only thing they did was a core sampling for like 3 days

The county took the houses down - but there are still structures up on the one residential road. I am on record saying I don't think they will actually build what they said.
There's the old CNY attitude shining through!

I’m aware the county took the houses down. That wasn’t what I was posting about. Good for you and that good old CNY attitude.

Attitude? What are you talking about. I reported what is happening since i live literally with "micron" in my front yard. I have worked in the semi conductor industry and the plans while ambitious will not play out. Take that bet to the bank. You have no idea what goes into these buildings and processes clearly

I'd love to put them all in a wagon and send them off to North Dakota.

Could this not live up to lofty expectations? Of course. We might also get run over by a bus crossing the street. It's stupid to just be negative with nothing to substantiate it. At this point let's just see what happens.

I don't know. I have heard from some contractors that they were not paid. I assume they had to pay the big banks. At least until now...
The version of non-payment I heard went like this: Contractor states work is complete; Pyramid creates a punch list of items to be addressed before final payment (this is typical in construction). Contractor does that work; Pyramid creates another punch list and another and another, until the Contractor can no longer afford to chase payment.

When I was growing up, Northern Lights was the commercial center of the northern suburbs. Now it's a ghost town.
Since the Micron thread has morphed into trips down memory lane, here is mine about Northern Lights. Acme groceries was located at one end of the plaza. Our one car family would shop there early Friday evening for a week's worth of groceries - two carts full. After the grocery shopping we parked the carts on the sidewalk outside of Acme and then visited other stores in the plaza, Chappell's, the S&H Greenstamp store, etc. We then would retrieve our groceries from in front of Acme, load them in the car, and then make the weekly visit to my grandmother. Never worried about having anything stolen from our shopping carts. Early 1960's.

They also had multiple drug stores at Penn Can, building Great Northern was a big mistake.
Too many malls. Here is a preview clip from the show "Adam Ruins Everything" about the proliferation of shopping malls.

Since the Micron thread has morphed into trips down memory lane, here is mine about Northern Lights. Acme groceries was located at one end of the plaza. Our one car family would shop there early Friday evening for a week's worth of groceries - two carts full. After the grocery shopping we parked the carts on the sidewalk outside of Acme and then visited other stores in the plaza, Chappell's, the S&H Greenstamp store, etc. We then would retrieve our groceries from in front of Acme, load them in the car, and then make the weekly visit to my grandmother. Never worried about having anything stolen from our shopping carts. Early 1960's.

My mother and aunt would go grocery shopping at Acme with myself and my cousin Diane, both toddlers. They'd put us up in the 'chair' portion of the shopping cart and park the carts in front of the lobster tank and we'd stare at them, fascinated, until our mothers had filled up the cart.

There also was a miniature golf emporium behind Acme at one point, my introduction to the sport.

24122505-standard.jpg

24122746-standard.jpg

e7f_shoppingtown1.jpeg

I see my parents car.

A lot of this talk is about things we'll before my time.

Nonetheless re: shopping malls

A lot of this talk is about things we'll before my time.

Nonetheless re: shopping malls

The only thing worse than a shopping mall is an empty shopping mall.

I have worked in the semi conductor industry and the plans while ambitious will not play out. Take that bet to the bank. You have no idea what goes into these buildings and processes clearly

Attitude? What are you talking about. I reported what is happening since i live literally with "micron" in my front yard. I have worked in the semi conductor industry and the plans while ambitious will not play out. Take that bet to the bank. You have no idea what goes into these buildings and processes clearly
Heater, out of curiosity, what do you see happening? Are you saying Micron is not going to build any of the four fabs planned?

Only one?

Some other number?

NiMo...is laying underground high voltage lines and expanding their substation. That is a decent sign

Having Chuck Shumer has to help get Micron $5-10B

NiMo...is laying underground high voltage lines and expanding their substation. That is a decent sign

Having Chuck Shumer has to help get Micron $5-10B
I live fairly close to the Micron site, and have no idea if it will proceed or not. I have noticed that in comparison to how quickly Amazon started their build, Micron is going much more slowly as in glacial moves.
This may be because a manufacturing plant for semi conductors takes greater planning than a warehouse.
I am making no predictions.
I do believe that actual plant construction is the lesser of their requirements, having a workforce capable of the demands put on clean room employees and education of the workforce is a greater obstacle. I personnally worked in a clean room facility for a time, and it is a very stressful job environment.

Last edited:
I live fairly close to the Micron site, and have no idea if it will proceed or not. I have noticed that in comparison to how quickly Amazon started their build, Micron is going much more slowly as in glacial moves.
This may be because a manufacturing plant for semi conductors takes greater planning than a warehouse.
I am making no predictions.
Well, one is highly dependent on government funding.

Well, one is highly dependent on government funding.
If true that could also be a factor, I unfortunately have no idea about what is being funded through the gov. I doubt if that would be the hold up however.