Mid-Season(ish) review (Part I) | Syracusefan.com

Mid-Season(ish) review (Part I)

billsin01

All American
It's weird to look up and see us coming up pretty quickly on February and the middle of the ACC schedule. Feel like it's a decent time for a breakdown as we wrapped up the easier portion of the ACC sked, are in the midst of sort of the mid-grade portion of it and we're headed toward a murderer's row series of games starting in the middle of next month.

Figured I'd break the mid-season review down into some general observations/trends and some thoughts about what we need to see going forward and then a second part with grades (in part II, admittedly arbitrary and subjective but sort of a fun exercise nevertheless.) So, without further ado:

Observations
Our biggest weakness is that we don't fit together perfectly offensively

My general opinion is that great basketball teams are usually a product of one of two scenarios: 1) at least one elite offensive talent and maybe more driving the action (some of those UConn teams with Rip or Gordon or Allen; Duke with Zion this year, etc.) or 2) a team where the whole exceeds the sum of the parts, maybe by a lot (Cuse in 09-10; those nova teams that had really good players but no one dominating at the next level, or some teams that execute well but play slower like Howland/Dickson Pitt teams and UVA under Bennett, etc.)

We don't really have either scenario. As much as I love Tyus as a player and, from all appearances, as a kid, he's a very good offensive player. He's not elite the way Melo or Johnny Flynn or some others were. And his surrounding cast all have some intriguing skills but don't seem to play particularly well off one another (at least not consistently). You think of 09-10 and you had Wes Johnson, who was roughly in the same neighborhood as Tyus -- but he was surrounded by guys who shared the ball really well (Rautins, Scoop, Triche, even RJ passed the ball well from the high post) or were a load to handle in the post (Arinze and RJ to a lesser extent) or were able to take advantage of our faster pace to make play after play on the fast break or secondary break (KJ).

That's not us.

So what we have instead is a team that can look pretty good on offense -- and we basically have looked pretty decent on this side for the past 10 games -- but occasionally is prone to a clunker -- we've had some brutal games shooting the ball and we have stretches even within some of our better games where we have looked terrible. I really thought we looked OK in the first half against G'town, but we made almost literally nothing. Didn't feel like we looked that bad against UB (really could have had a much bigger lead at half, IMO) or ODU but missed some easy opportunities inside and then hit bad droughts at big moments in the final 5-7 minutes, which sunk us.

Anyway, think we've improved here and hope to see it continue this month.

70 is a big number for us
It seems like if we can get to 70 points, we're pretty tough to beat. This may seem a bit obvious in the sense that we are generally a pretty good defensive team but last year we were just 3-4 when we got to 70+ points in ACC play. Even getting there was a chore as one was the double OT FSU game and another was the blowout at BC where we got to 70 in garbage time.

This year, we are about 5 ppg better on offense and that's worth noting particularly b/c our scoring is actually almost as good in conference as it was out of conference (like within .4 of a point). That's pretty rare since you build in a ton of cupcakes most years out of conference.

But that makes a big difference b/c we haven't had to white knuckle these games quite as much. We don't necessarily dominate teams and we haven't played the big boys outside of Duke and VT, but we've also won pretty easily several times already -- beat up on Miami, were up 20 in the second half vs. Pitt, comfortable wins against Clemson and ND (I realize clemson was a game where we barely cracked 60) and then I felt like we were in a good spot last night and we outscored BC by 15 on their floor after the first 4 mins of that game.

If we can keep moving the ball well enough and scoring well enough to get to 70+ in most conference games, we should be a lock for 10-11 ACC wins.

Is this a replay of last season?
Odd to think we were 15-6 through 21 games last season and that's where we are this year as well. We had a worse record in conference last season at 4-4 but we had played at FSU And UVA and had played four road games, so the schedule was tougher. It's interesting but I think this team is better. For one thing, we already have three road ACC wins. That's pretty nice -- we had three road ACC wins all of last season. We also are scoring 5 ppg more in conference play and have much more depth ... which brings me to the next point.

JB has used the roster in interesting ways
JB gets a ton of grief on here for his use of the roster and his rotation. I'm sure many are still upset about it and about Carey being relegated to bench duty (though I don't think it's crazy that he could still end up playing a role here this season), but JB has done a nice job of mixing and matching to find what looks like the best lineup each game.

We've seen Battle playing the point at times, we've seen Frank play big minutes and frank end up on the bench for long stretches. We've seen Chuckwu benched for games at a time and also be among the most valuable players in our biggest win of the season. We've seen Brissett spend a bunch of time on the bench in a couple conference wins. We Carey get some good run early and now buddy emerge as a pretty important weapon.

It will be interesting to watch how the rotation or playing time shakes out the next month.

The problem with JB mixing and matching is that it means he hasn't come up with a satisfactory combination yet. It's still a Rubik's cube. Each player has strengths and weaknesses that don't really fit together. He had to break up last year's rotation to fit in the new guys so he could make use of their talents. Also, several players, (Chukwu, Sidibie, Brissett, Howard), have regressed.

Speaking for myself, my biggest miss was that i had thought Jalen would be an entrenched part of the rotation. Instead, he has regressed to the point where i am questioning whether he will be in next year's starting lineup.

My biggest hit was saying I though Buddy might help this season. Buddy is progressing even ahead of my expectations so far.

Aside from my personal expectations, here are a few thoughts.

Ty has been a bit inconsistent, but man, when he is hot, he is hot. If he can smooth it out a bit he will move up in the draft. right now i am seeing him at the very end of round two in various mockos.

Elijah is pretty on track, though he has been more consistent than might be expected from a first year player.

Oshae seems to be gradually coming on, but his slow start probably means at least a third season in the dome. He has lots of work to do before he can be an NBA player.

Frank is gradually coming on, injury was a huge setback for him. I think he gets to where he should be by the end of the season.

Chuk helps sometime, but disappears too often. Same old same old. How can the guy who played so well against Zion, so often do so little ???

Sid has shown little improvement, maybe even some regression. He will have to take a jump over the summer to start next season.

Marek has not built off of his end of last season. He should be able to progress pass the point of being a role/glue player. It has not happened yet.

All in all, we have two players (Buddy and Elijah) who, IMHO, has exceeded expectations and several who have fallen short.

Team has a whole reflects that as we are not the top 20 squad many thought we would be in the pre-season.

Jimmy can be faulted for recruitment and lack of player development, but in terms of the way players have actually performed, he has done a solid job in getting the team to gradually improve from a terrible start.

The problem with JB mixing and matching is that it means he hasn't come up with a satisfactory combination yet. It's still a Rubik's cube. Each player has strengths and weaknesses that don't really fit together. He had to break up last year's rotation to fit in the new guys so he could make use of their talents. Also, several players, (Chukwu, Sidibie, Brissett, Howard), have regressed.
SWC, I don’t think Sidibe has regressed because he didn’t play at all last year, except for the one time against Pitt. I think he has played better. I also think Chukwu has had some better games this year than last year. I don’t remember him being the “hero” once last year, but he sure was in the Duke game. You may have given those guys short shrift, although your basketball acumen is light years ahead of mine.

Frank and Oshae, I have to agree. We know why Frank has, but Oshae is puzzling. It must be very hard for him because he assumed he was going to shine this year. As did we all.

Last year’s team and this year’s team were at 15-6?? That stat made me feel uneasy, even though Bill explained that there are some reasons that this year’s team is still stronger than last year’s.

I have not even watched the BC game yet. Had book club, turned it on in the car on the way home, we were only up by 2, and I freaked out and turned it off. Got home and couldn’t watch it. I have become a quaking blob of jello this year! (But I look forward to watching the game tonight. :))

I think we are just inconsistent. Tyus has been great but if he isn't scoring his body language and D suffer. Marek, oshae and Frank are having bad years. I think Chewy is much better than last year. The new guys are up and down as expected and I'm starting to think Sidibe just won't get there. Like last Saturday, this Saturday's game will be a good gauge of what we are.

I think it is not as much about him not finding the best rotation but in him assessing the strength and weaknesses of our opponent and creating his starting 5 accordingly. I think he is realizing Frank has no business being on the court all game in some situations but also sees a benefit in him as he is a low turnover guy and a very good defender. Buddy coming on with 3's has been a pleasant surprise as I thought he would let his deer in the headlights play from earlier linger. The 2 centers and MJ are completely different in their skill sets so I think JB adjusts accordingly. Overall, I am somewhat encouraged by the squad this year but I get a little disappointed when I don't see KD a part of the offense as much as I think he is capable of and was hoping Carey would get a little ore experience. But in general, I think JB has done a pretty decent job this year. Oh well, let's win the next 3 very winnable games and be sitting at 18 wins with 7 to go!

SWC, I don’t think Sidibe has regressed because he didn’t play at all last year, except for the one time against Pitt. I think he has played better. I also think Chukwu has had some better games this year than last year. I don’t remember him being the “hero” once last year, but he sure was in the Duke game. You may have given those guys short shrift, although your basketball acumen is light years ahead of mine.

Frank and Oshae, I have to agree. We know why Frank has, but Oshae is puzzling. It must be very hard for him because he assumed he was going to shine this year. As did we all.

Last year’s team and this year’s team were at 15-6?? That stat made me feel uneasy, even though Bill explained that there are some reasons that this year’s team is still stronger than last year’s.

I have not even watched the BC game yet. Had book club, turned it on in the car on the way home, we were only up by 2, and I freaked out and turned it off. Got home and couldn’t watch it. I have become a quaking blob of jello this year! (But I look forward to watching the game tonight. :))

JB's basketball acumen is light years ahead of mine and he's been talking about how disappointing our big men are all year. I decided to look at the per 40 minutes numbers last year and this year.

PC:
this year: 8.1p 11.9r 0.3a 1.4s 3.6b 1.3mfg 2.1mft 2.2to 6.3pf
last year: 7.9p 10.0r 0.6a 1.0s 3.6s 1.5mfg 1.3mft 1.6to 4.6pf

BS:
this year: 8.0p 10.7r 0.9a 2.0s 2.2b 3.1mfg 0.4mft 1.5to 9.3pf
last year: 8.7p 10.3r 0.4a 1.1s 2.1b 4.1mfg 2.3mft 2.0to 7.6pf

Scoring is about the same Paschal has rebounded better. Bourama has a few more assists but passing the ball isn't their game. Both have a few more steals. Bourama missed more shots last year, (an took more). He has fewer misses at the free throw line but has gotten there less. The biggest difference I see is that both are committing more fouls - and too many to stay on the court a long time. I associate fouls with two things: knowledge of where you are supposed to be and hustle. These guys should know better where they are supposed to be this year than last so I think the degree of effort is often the problem. I also don't have numbers on what opposing big men scored but I think that must be up from last year.

Frank is gradually coming on, injury was a huge setback for him. I think he gets to where he should be by the end of the season.

Marek has not built off of his end of last season. He should be able to progress pass the point of being a role/glue player. It has not happened yet.

These for me are the toughest ones. I think we may see Marek get more comfortable and contribute more as the season progresses, but we'll see. Time is running out. It just feels like he has more to give offensively - I'm really surprised we didn't see a big jump this year...but we haven't.

I keep praying Frank can put it all together. He seemed poised to have a great year, but at this point has become like an Eli Manning/Joe Flacco type guy - just a game manager that might be able to give us more at times. Which could be enough???

We saw it against Duke - when he hits some shots off we go and it opens things up for everyone. Still, if he could penetrate more and open things up it would cure a lot of ills on offense...just not sure if he's going to be that guy. :( That injury really seems to have hindered him tremendously in that regard.

Speaking for myself, my biggest miss was that i had thought Jalen would be an entrenched part of the rotation. Instead, he has regressed to the point where i am questioning whether he will be in next year's starting lineup.

My biggest hit was saying I though Buddy might help this season. Buddy is progressing even ahead of my expectations so far.

Aside from my personal expectations, here are a few thoughts.

Ty has been a bit inconsistent, but man, when he is hot, he is hot. If he can smooth it out a bit he will move up in the draft. right now i am seeing him at the very end of round two in various mockos.

Elijah is pretty on track, though he has been more consistent than might be expected from a first year player.

Oshae seems to be gradually coming on, but his slow start probably means at least a third season in the dome. He has lots of work to do before he can be an NBA player.

Chuk helps sometime, but disappears too often. Same old same old. How can the guy who played so well against Zion, so often do so little ???

Sid has shown little improvement, maybe even some regression. He will have to take a jump over the summer to start next season.

All in all, we have two players (Buddy and Elijah) who, IMHO, has exceeded expectations and several who have fallen short.

Team has a whole reflects that as we are not the top 20 squad many thought we would be in the pre-season.

Jimmy can be faulted for recruitment and lack of player development, but in terms of the way players have actually performed, he has done a solid job in getting the team to gradually improve from a terrible start.

Good post -- agree with most of that though I'd say I'm a little higher on some of the guys in a general sense. Still like Jalen just think the move of Battle to the 1 with Buddy knocking down shots has helped this team more than Jalen's ability to break down a defender.

These for me are the toughest ones. I think we may see Marek get more comfortable and contribute more as the season progresses, but we'll see. Time is running out. It just feels like he has more to give offensively - I'm really surprised we didn't see a big jump this year...but we haven't.

I keep praying Frank can put it all together. He seemed poised to have a great year, but at this point has become like an Eli Manning/Joe Flacco type guy - just a game manager that might be able to give us more at times. Which could be enough???

We saw it against Duke - when he hits some shots off we go and it opens things up for everyone. Still, if he could penetrate more and open things up it would cure a lot of ills on offense...just not sure if he's going to be that guy. :( That injury really seems to have hindered him tremendously in that regard.

I think a big part of Marek's lack of improvement, at least from a numbers standpoint, is that he has been in a bit of a tough spot with Hughes coming in and being such an integral part. It's meant a bunch of Marek's minutes have come at center and regardless of where he's playing, he's no better than the third or fourth option on a team that doesn't pass the ball terribly well.

I know that's a bunch of excuses but it's worth pointing out that it's not as if he was put in a spot to really blossom offensively and put up pretty big numbers.

Some of that inconsistency — it is the make up and defensive play of the opponent. Geargia tech and Va tech pressured our guards, and we lack the inside scoring to compensate. BC made the mistake of not providing help on Tyus. JB makes adjustments to use Buddy more against zones, and he will use Marek based on opponents as well.

Marek has improved his skills (to a degree) but he did not add muscle. Same with Sidibe. There is only so much either one can do in inside play until they can add strength. We simply do not have adequate offensive rebounding, or inside scoring overall. Frank can play better ( we saw that last season) but how much more can we expect from Hughes, Tyus and Buddy? I think Carey will need to improve in the off-season, and earn his role next year. We have to get to 20 wins.

Some of that inconsistency — it is the make up and defensive play of the opponent. Geargia tech and Va tech pressured our guards, and we lack the inside scoring to compensate. BC made the mistake of not providing help on Tyus. JB makes adjustments to use Buddy more against zones, and he will use Marek based on opponents as well.

Marek has improved his skills (to a degree) but he did not add muscle. Same with Sidibe. There is only so much either one can do in inside play until they can add strength. We simply do not have adequate offensive rebounding, or inside scoring overall. Frank can play better ( we saw that last season) but how much more can we expect from Hughes, Tyus and Buddy? I think Carey will need to improve in the off-season, and earn his role next year. We have to get to 20 wins.

Good point on opponents and that's always been an issue for us. Teams that can get up under our longer players have always given us trouble. There really isn't any reason we shouldn't expect to be good next year in theory -- adding Goodine/Girard/Guerrier/Ajok to a pretty solid core of returning -- but that's assuming returning players improve. That's been far from a given the past four or five seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom