Might cut the cord | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

I’m not into the Nats but it can be nice to have the local team on in the background.

The O’s are actually a bit bigger of an issue. Living out of market for the Yankees but in market for the O’s (for some stupid reason), I have to watch the Yankees on MASN. And it seems like they play each other about 100 times per year. The only bonus is listening to Gary Thorne’s calls of Gleyber Torres home runs.
... and hear the tears hitting the mic.

I also have a reallly good deal with Spectrum mobile so that will be something I have to think about. Not sure if I will really save that much in the long run if that is impacted.
Yup. Right now I would recommend Spectrum Mobile to everyone but you have to be a Spectrum customer.

So right now I have the ACC network but my wife and I are considering cutting the cord because spectrum increased our bill by $60. If I keep my Internet and get ESPN plus for my iPad will I still be able to watch Syracuse basketball and football games? At least the ones that would regularly be shown on ESPN?
I don’t know everything in terms of the Big Ten network in the SEC but if everybody cut the cord which I did because I will not I refuse to pay these outrageous prices For something I can get with Wi-Fi for nothing on top of that.
If the ACC can get on YouTube if they’re not already and some of the other Internet things I’ll be in good shape screw cable

I snipped and went from $250/mo Verizon bill to $39.99 for Verizon 100Mbps Internet and $49.99 YouTube service.

Caveats. You will need smart TVs (Or device that allows you to stream to the TV eg. Appletv, roku etc) for it to work, but you should be able to buy a decent smart tv with the money you are no longer sending to Verizon or Spectrum to rent their crappy boxes. If you can’t swing the smart tv, I think you can use an appletv device to connect your dumb tv to your router and the Internet. I did that for quite awhile before upgrading my TV.

YouTube TV service has a website that allows you to put in your zip code and see what your channel lineup would be. I was pleasantly surprised that it included all 4 primary ESPNs, ACCn, SECn, and BTNn and NBCSportsNet which carries Sixers and Flyers for me.

You tube tv offers an unlimited cloud based DVR so you’ll miss your crappy set top box even less. And when you set up a series in the DVR it adds this seasons episodes without having to actually “record” them like you would with a traditional DVR.

If you are a Verizon customer you will need to rent their router unless you want to invest in your own so assume another $12-15/mo on top of the $39.99

I can’t believe I didn’t do this along time ago.

And if your holding stock in VZ or any of the cable providers it may be time to sell.
Yep you got it! I bought my smart TV a year ago and I figure out all these things I can download and it’s pretty much almost as good as cable but free besides the Wi-Fi so I don’t understand why spectrum keeps raising prices

Made the switch from YouTube TV to Hulu with Live TV. I get the Yankees again ( though they haven’t won a game yet! ) and save $15/ month. Streaming quality is fine but interface is a bit clunkier, and DVR is limited to 50 hours, but not bad.

Made the switch from YouTube TV to Hulu with Live TV. I get the Yankees again ( though they haven’t won a game yet! ) and save $15/ month. Streaming quality is fine but interface is a bit clunkier, and DVR is limited to 50 hours, but not bad.

Keep an eye on Hulu DVR. My only complaint is I have recorded "series" or multiple events and it records one then the others it never records even with plenty of DVR hours available.

Do you get all the sports channels that YouTube tv provide? Notably the ACC network

Keep an eye on Hulu DVR. My only complaint is I have recorded "series" or multiple events and it records one then the others it never records even with plenty of DVR hours available.

How do you set your DVR - by series title?

Do you get all the sports channels that YouTube tv provide? Notably the ACC network

Yes. All ESPN channels including ACCN, SEC, B1G, FS1, CBS Sports, NBC SN, SNY and YES.

Does not have the viacom channels recently added to YouTube so I had to wait until Yellowstone finished it's run on Paramount to allow Mrs. C to get her Kevin Costner fix. You'd have to give up MTV and Pimp My Ride if you switched.

With the lack of sports, I've been using Reddit Streams. Sometimes the stream will stop during the game but for the most part I haven't had any problems.

May change if we get football as I'd like that to be a seamless stream

How do you set your DVR - by series title?

At first yes. Then I actually selected five individually and didn't get any. I had to actually reselect them from my phone near when they started

Does anyone do Apple TV? Wondering what it has benefits wise for sports.

Wow. Too much competition for streaming is diluting profits and handing it back to cable.

SMH. Hulu is trash. I’m going back to YouTube.
I friggin hate the interface for Hulu.

I paused YoutubeTV and subscibed to Hulu just a week ago. LOL

ATT Max for $80 is you only option going forward at this time.

Last edited:
Does anyone do Apple TV? Wondering what it has benefits wise for sports.
Apple TV the box, is along the lines of a firestick with apps that you need subcriptions to just like everything else. Apple TV+ service is its own "network" so to speak. It's not something to watch say ESPN on.

From this article related to YouTubeTV dropping Sinclair's stations:

"While we are disappointed that YouTube will discontinue carriage of the RSNs, we remain in discussions in an effort to find a mutually acceptable path to returning the RSNs to YouTube TV"

It sounds like Sinclair wants some more money. Unless the streaming services start to offer packages to allow customers to configure their channel selection and associated price this could get ugly and very frustrating for some of us...

From this article related to YouTubeTV dropping Sinclair's stations:

"While we are disappointed that YouTube will discontinue carriage of the RSNs, we remain in discussions in an effort to find a mutually acceptable path to returning the RSNs to YouTube TV"

It sounds like Sinclair wants some more money. Unless the streaming services start to offer packages to allow customers to configure their channel selection and associated price this could get ugly and very frustrating for some of us...
You can get YES on AT&T direct premium, but that is $80 a month. Includes pay channels, but I didn't see the ACC network on the list.

I friggin hate the interface for Hulu.

I paused YoutubeTV and subscibed to Hulu just a week ago. LOL

ATT Max for $80 is you only option going forward at this time.

Yes, terrible interface. I thought I might get used to it and adjust, but no. It’s just a poor setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom