Might cut the cord | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

Just wait until they finally add the NFL network or redzone. Will go up another 15$.

YouTubeTV does offer 3 concurrent streams, Hulu only offers 2... unless you want to pay another $10/mo. Son uses one in his new apartment. We usually have 3, and sometimes 4, TVs on the deck for college football. We should still be OK with the remaining 2 plus ESPN app on other devices.

YouTubeTV does offer 3 concurrent streams, Hulu only offers 2... unless you want to pay another $10/mo. Son uses one in his new apartment. We usually have 3, and sometimes 4, TVs on the deck for college football. We should still be OK with the remaining 2 plus ESPN app on other devices.

So just to clarify, I am in my apartment and my parents are in their house and we could share an account?

So just to clarify, I am in my apartment and my parents are in their house and we could share an account?
While I've never done this, my understanding is it can be done.

yes it can be done , but mostly illegal and not rlally enforced yet, just like sharing ESPN logins. But they also do know its happening and have talked with some people that its on the radar of many of these companies to do something about it but right now they are too busy trying to take business away from each other.

While I've never done this, my understanding is it can be done.
I setup a family share off my account for a relative to watch cuse games. The only problem is if they are out of the area it won't last long. He was in another state and after a month or so, youtube makes the person reconfirm their location is the syracuse ny area. If your phone isn't in that area, it stops letting you access. This may have changed since January or so, but that was our experience.

It was super easy to do though and youtube put that functionality in it to share with family.

We are in the same metropolitan area. Before he moved he used it in our house.

yes it can be done , but mostly illegal and not rlally enforced yet, just like sharing ESPN logins. But they also do know its happening and have talked with some people that its on the radar of many of these companies to do something about it but right now they are too busy trying to take business away from each other.
I don't think it's against the rules for YouTubeTV. It's just as others mentioned there may be geographical considerations.

yes it is.. since its for a household to watch in and out of the home.. not to share with people in the family who dont live with you. they also expect to some outside usage. But they have data that shows you where and when and if the same account is being used outside your home they can tell. But right now they are choosing to ignore it..

I know Disney already announced plans on cracking down in the future on their platforms when the Disney+ came out..

youtube.. family

Location requirements work the same if you're sharing your YouTube TV membership with a family group. The family manager sets the home area, and all family members must primarily live in the same household.

All family group members need to periodically use YouTube TV in your home location to keep access. Otherwise, the family manager will either have to change the home location or you'll need to get an individual membership.

so they know and track.

So here's OiG's weird psychology on this:

I don't give a crap about the price increasing. Especially since the new channels are ones I used to watch. Wasn't crushing me not having them, but I will watch The Challenge for example on MTV when I have it.

That said, I get NO PLEASURE trying to find the best "deal" when it comes to my entertainment. Some people live for the bargain hunt. On this, that is not me AT ALL. When I start having to think about what color of Sling programming I need it starts pissing me off to the point where it defeats what I look to for TV - brain disconnect.

I don't want to think about anything. I want to know that mostly things I want to watch are there when I want to. YouTubeTV checks that box still in a big way, and at a much better price than DirecTV did.

Without sports, I thought about dropping YouTubeTV but I hung with it, because I'd rather pay the money and not have to think about it.

Does that make me one of those rich jerks that can just throw money away? HELL YES AND I LOVE IT 'MERICA WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Edited to add: also, I don't want to have to think about switching whenever something changes. Inertia FTW

Last edited:
So here's OiG's weird psychology on this:

I don't give a crap about the price increasing. Especially since the new channels are ones I used to watch. Wasn't crushing me not having them, but I will watch The Challenge for example on MTV when I have it.

That said, I get NO PLEASURE trying to find the best "deal" when it comes to my entertainment. Some people live for the bargain hunt. On this, that is not me AT ALL. When I start having to think about what color of Sling programming I need it starts pissing me off to the point where it defeats what I look to for TV - brain disconnect.

I don't want to think about anything. I want to know that mostly things I want to watch are there when I want to. YouTubeTV checks that box still in a big way, and at a much better price than DirecTV did.

Without sports, I thought about dropping YouTubeTV but I hung with it, because I'd rather pay the money and not have to think about it.

Does that make me one of those rich jerks that can just throw money away? HELL YES AND I LOVE IT 'MERICA WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Edited to add: also, I don't want to have to think about switching whenever something changes. Inertia FTW
If you don't care about the money why did you change due to the money?
download.png

This is my issue too...I have a son in another market that shall we say kinda likes my account. I only use one live feed at my house...so Hulu TV sounds like it would still work.

Yes and even better...you are in the same market with your 'rents. So no reauthentication issues AFAIK.

Note: YoutubeTV allows you to watch on the road for a set time (about 2 months) then they expect you to go back or set up a new home area. In my case I can watch Tampa locals and sports up at my camp in NY for about 2 months before reauthentication.

I'm not saying this is me...but if you have the master YoutubeTV account and you live in Kansas City and you have a kid in Omaha using your account...it goes well for about 2 months.

Then the Omaha kid loses a bunch of his channels and cries back to their support staff. The Omaha kid has to initiate reauthentication in concert with the hmmm let's call them the Boomer parent. To reauthenticate in theory the Omaha kid has to log out and log back in his home area (Kansas City) to reauthenticate. But he isn't there...so his parent can do it for him. So the parent logs out and back in and requests a code to recertify. A code gets sent to the KC account cell phone. That KC master account holder needs to share the code with the his millennial son who doesn't believe in paying for stuff and enters the code in his phone. Magical happens and a few seconds later he gets all his channels back.

Just to be clear I don't live in Kansas City

Last edited:
Yes and even better...you are in the same market with your 'rents. So no reauthentication issues AFAIK.

Note: YoutubeTV allows you to watch on the road for a set time (about 2 months) then they expect you to go back or set up a new home area.

I'm not saying this is me...but if you have the master YoutubeTV account and you live in Kansas City and you have a kid in Omaha using your account...it goes well for about 2 months.

Then the Omaha kid loses a bunch of his channels and cries back to their support staff. The Omaha kid has to initiate reauthentication in concert with the hmmm let's call them the Boomer parent. To reauthenticate in theory the Omaha kid has to log out and log back in his home area (Kansas City) to reauthenticate. But he isn't there...so his parent can do it for him. So the parent logs out and back in and requests a code to recertify. A code gets sent to the KC account cell phone. That KC master account holder needs to share the code with the his millennial son who doesn't believe in paying for stuff and enters the code in his phone. Magical happens and a few seconds later he gets all his channels back.

Just to be clear I don't live in Kansas City

Thanks Mark! This is very interesting with my parents and I only 10 minutes part. Very much appreciate the insight.

So as it turns out I'm able to catch up on both seasons of The Challenge I've missed on demand on YouTubeTV, so, shut up and take my money.

Found a new free way to watch your local channels from these cities

Atlanta

Baltimore

Boston

Chicago

Dallas

Denver

Houston

Los Angeles

New York

Philadelphia

Phoenix

Puerto Rico

Rapid City

San Francisco

Seattle

Sioux City

Sioux Falls

Tampa Bay

Washington DC

If you have a Roku and many other platforms...

Go to Home - Locast

Last edited:
Found a new free way to watch your local channels from these cities

Atlanta

Baltimore

Boston

Chicago

Dallas

Denver

Houston

Los Angeles

New York

Philadelphia

Phoenix

Puerto Rico

Rapid City

San Francisco

Seattle

Sioux City

Sioux Falls

Tampa Bay

Washington DC

If you have a Roku and many other platforms...

Go to Home - Locast

From the home page, where do you find locast?

They all came in low to pull customers..
In the end the streaming sites will be for way less channels than traditional cable was providing for the same cost and cable will mostly be dead except for people who like ease of use and like to change channels or buffer shows.

cable/sat still provide a way better user experience if you watch alot of tv.

right now streaming is like people who want a burger

go to MacD and get the cheap burger or go to the local Pub and pay more but in the end its a better meal.
I pay a lot for cable but recently got rid of 2 of my 4 cable boxes so I save there. Plus I also just switched to Spectrum mobile which is saving me $70 a month and I negotiated my garbage bill to less than half due to a new local competitor. So to me it's worth having the convenience of cable and now I can justify paying over $200 per month by saving on other utilities.

to me paying for TV that works makes sense since its being used hours day, so skimping on quality of service for $25 month is not worth it..

Much rather dump the $300 a month cell phone that I use 20-30 secs a day or drive a cheaper car that goes days without being driven

funny though now that we work from home full time the TV for me is barely on during the day, but my wife who never worked from home before this its on 24x7 where she is set up.. Helps there is no sports to really watch and leave on in the background.. Hope baseball gets pulled off.

I pay a lot for cable but recently got rid of 2 of my 4 cable boxes so I save there. Plus I also just switched to Spectrum mobile which is saving me $70 a month and I negotiated my garbage bill to less than half due to a new local competitor. So to me it's worth having the convenience of cable and now I can justify paying over $200 per month by saving on other utilities.

I also have a reallly good deal with Spectrum mobile so that will be something I have to think about. Not sure if I will really save that much in the long run if that is impacted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom