Might cut the cord | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

Does this work well for watching live sports?

I have Spectrum and it is costing me $200/month, as you said. Feel like if I cancel actual cable I’ll be missing too much, but maybe I’m wrong.

As an aside, you ever hit Doherty’s for Sunday brunch? After Clouds downtown it is my favorite Sunday spot, Apex or Cary location. Hit Apex yesterday so I could watch the Manchester United/Liverpool match.

I haven't noticed any major issues streaming sports on Youtube TV. Once in a great while it will refresh, but that only takes about 5 seconds. Honestly, it doesn't really bother me and I could definitely fix the issue if I decided to hard wire my TV's vs. connecting via WiFi. My WiFi is pretty strong since I installed the Google Mesh network throughout my house... had to do it with 3 teenage kids that constantly stream video on their phone/laptops or TV's.

I've definitely been to Doherty's... it's about 2 miles from my house.

Good luck on your cable/streaming decision!

I have zero issues with youtubetv.
When trying to decide, one major factor for me was that the major networks were local, AND dvr-able. A lot of the services has some majors that are on demand only, not local, or not recordable. Yttv does all of the above.

Also, internet/wireless/cable companies provide the absolute worst customer service when it comes to being transparent in their pricing and allowing changes be made to an account. It's an exercise in frustrating consumers.

I threatened to cancel Fios and they cut my bill by about 20% and gave me more channels and faster internet. All in for $149 which includes DVR and leased router. I did have to sign another 2 year contract.

I tried the youtube.tv trial. It was OK. You still have to pay for internet so you're not saving that much.

I threatened to cancel Fios and they cut my bill by about 20% and gave me more channels and faster internet. All in for $149 which includes DVR and leased router. I did have to sign another 2 year contract.

I tried the youtube.tv trial. It was OK. You still have to pay for internet so you're not saving that much.
I was at $225 for Fios with cable (whole house DVR, and sports tier)/phone/internet. Now, with YTTV, Disney+, ESPN+, HULU, phone and 900 internet I'm at $170. I imagine everyones scenario is a little different.

I have Verizon FIOS. They have seven packages to choose from if you want cheaper price and don't need all the channels. I choose "Sports&News" that includes most sports channels. Also includes AMC because I watch some drama, too, like "The Walking Dead".

I’d like to offer an alternative strategy. I subscribe to cable once football season starts through March Madness. Get a pretty good short term promo deal. The key is no box - just use the streaming. Cuts down on price and makes switching back and forth seamless.

The other 6 months I go cheap with Sling (Nick Jr is critical).

it really comes down to you want to pay less for less. if you are happy for less functionality and paying less then streaming TV is a great option but you can also pay less for cable too and pretty much match any cost. if you have kids than the 3 streams can be an issue. if you want extras you are limited in some cases but you also can add some of the channels youtube doesnt offer but it will likely be more than just staying with cable.

many of my friends have switched some have switched between sling, hulu, youtubetv. none really happy with any of the services but happy with paying less but then all i hear is complaints about missing channels.

now is the time to do it because the streamers prices are gonna up faster than cable prices. they are all new and none of the locals deals have changed but they will all hit at once where as cable has them pretty spread out since those deals have been around for awhile.

We are debating Youtube TV against Hulu TV. Leaning towards Hulu because we already have the no live Hulu - Disney+ and ESPN+ subscription
Yep, that’s exactly where I ended up. Hulu has quite a bit of its own content as well which I like, works with a greater variety of streaming devices, and the interface is quite good. The biggest downside of it vs YouTube is probably that the DVR functionality is not as good with Hulu.

Gotcha. You have specific programming they just don't offer.
Like I mentioned earlier, Frndly is a great little bolt on and is the only one I know of that offers the weather channel and hallmark which keeps me off the couch at night :)

I was at $225 for Fios with cable (whole house DVR, and sports tier)/phone/internet. Now, with YTTV, Disney+, ESPN+, HULU, phone and 900 internet I'm at $170. I imagine everyones scenario is a little different.
My guess is that eventually Comcast will offer ACCN and provide a package and price that competes / bests the streaming services. If they do, I’ll consider them again.

It amazes me how people who discard spectrum wear it as a badge of honor. It may cost a few more dollars, however you can avoid all the headaches with the other cord cutting options and get everything you want. Being cheap certainly isn't an admirable quality...go ahead with the mob mentality on here and shoot the messenger....

It amazes me how people who discard spectrum wear it as a badge of honor. It may cost a few more dollars, however you can avoid all the headaches with the other cord cutting options and get everything you want. Being cheap certainly isn't an admirable quality...go ahead with the mob mentality on here and shoot the messenger...
I for one feel as though I’m getting more for my dollar. If I had all of these channels through spectrum it would be quite a bit more than the $50 I pay for YouTubeTV. I would say that’s being smart, not cheap.

some people want the 6pack, some want the case. this is the same thing except everyone getting the 6 pack all end up wondering why they are a few beers short of pleasing everyone in the house.

you could also get the cable and cut the internet and get the same value.

I for one feel as though I’m getting more for my dollar. If I had all of these channels through spectrum it would be quite a bit more than the $50 I pay for YouTubeTV. I would say that’s being smart, not cheap.
And it has everything we watched, and I don’t have to have the other 4000 channels I didnt watch.

I’ve heard YouTube tv is pretty good. I went with Directtv Now years ago which is now AT&T tv now. At $60 a month I have more channels than I did with Direct TV.

A lot of people use Hulu but I like the Tablo for local channels. You buy the unit and guide and there is never a monthly fee...it’s all paid up front for like $300. It works via WiFi to smart TVs, rokus, appletv or whatever you have. I have a 2 TB hard drive hooked up to it and it has hundreds of shows saved on it and they go back years. As long as your antenna receives the signal you’re good.

some people want the 6pack, some want the case. this is the same thing except everyone getting the 6 pack all end up wondering why they are a few beers short of pleasing everyone in the house.

you could also get the cable and cut the internet and get the same value.

What if you don’t drink?

It amazes me how people who discard spectrum wear it as a badge of honor. It may cost a few more dollars, however you can avoid all the headaches with the other cord cutting options and get everything you want. Being cheap certainly isn't an admirable quality...go ahead with the mob mentality on here and shoot the messenger...
Go tell your buddies at work we were all bailing on you guys. Assuming you work there based on how weird of a post this would be otherwise.

I wouldn’t call it cheap. Sounds a lot like many of us are getting what we want through other services for less. Seems less cheap and more smart. But you do you, go pay more to avoid all of the headaches.

I for one don’t see value in paying a ton more
Money for little to no upside.

What if you don’t drink?
ok... so some people buy a gallon of milk and some drink a glass of water.. both keep you hydrated but one offers more nutritional value.. i think

I also went to Yubetube tv. Xfinity will not get us the ACC Network. Xfinity will give me the BIg 10, SEC Network, etc. They also charged a 10.00 regional sports fee, which I guess is a Tax to pay for the Penguins and Pirates games, which I don't watch. However, Youtube is a pain in the ass to use. Turn on tv... turn on Roku...Turn on youtube...move youtube to Live tv...then select channel. With a crying infant that is an eternity to get to Spongebob.

I got a 50 mile antennae and it works great. I went with sling because it had Redzone for football season. I may change to YouTube because I don’t get MSG, Yes or SNY.

Sling for football season & YouTube or nothing otherwise is where it's at.

Same for me if with Hulu vs Comcast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom