Might cut the cord | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

do-it.gif.cf.gif

I thought some of you who use YTTV may like this feature if you don't know about it. During Live sports broadcasts you can get LIVE in game stats and scores right on the screen. I found it the other day while watching the SU/VT game.
I use the Appletv 4K and I believe it works on ROKU not sure on firestick since I don't use ours its in my sons room.

Attachments

• 82426854_3037862619566100_6460839863657693184_o.jpg
    82426854_3037862619566100_6460839863657693184_o.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 82913245_3037862759566086_1799228664345264128_o.jpg
    82913245_3037862759566086_1799228664345264128_o.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 145
  • 82945820_3037862706232758_6561887786863951872_o.jpg
    82945820_3037862706232758_6561887786863951872_o.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 82737423_3037862809566081_280254359890034688_o.jpg
    82737423_3037862809566081_280254359890034688_o.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 142
Do any of these cord cutting options include TV Land? Asking for a friend.
Philo TV, $20 per month. No sports channels though. Considering cutting cord too. Philo has all the Nick channels.

Fios is amazing for college sports nuts there are 7 games to chose from at any time. If tonight you bet a handful of games chances are you can watch them all. Couldn't live without it. I'm sure streaming would be close to as good mind you but I have 3 boxes one for me one for my upstairs tenants even though its a 2 family I hook up free cable+internet and TV and internet and its under 120. I'd miss whatever channels I lost if they are sports related.

For example there is a glitch in one box that has the Olympic Channel on parental lock even though its not and I can't watch ski racing when its shown and I'm a ski enthusiast. You can get smaller boxes for a 1 time fee of 50 bucks not sure if they are wireless yet but I plan to do that so I can watch downhill skiing when its on. I used to have 3 and at times 4 TVs for watching sports but its actually distracting 2 TVs that aren't super big is perfect.

3 years ago, I bought a smart projector. Mirror programming from my phone. I have a basic account with Dish network that I only activate during football season. Dish allows you to put your service on hold for $5 a month and restart it whenever you like. My screen can hold up to a 110 inch picture and the quality is very good. $350 for the projector and another $100 for the screen and hardware to hang it. It's portable too. Take it outside in the fall for night games.

3 years ago, I bought a smart projector. Mirror programming from my phone. I have a basic account with Dish network that I only activate during football season. Dish allows you to put your service on hold for $5 a month and restart it whenever you like. My screen can hold up to a 110 inch picture and the quality is very good. $350 for the projector and another $100 for the screen and hardware to hang it. It's portable too. Take it outside in the fall for night games.

Any recommendations for the projector?

Any recommendations for the projector?
The one I have is called a Wowoto H8. It's nice. It connects through the bluetooth in my phone. It was one of the cheaper ones that I found but it has worked out great for me. They have 1 or 2 upgraded projectors since I bought mine. Better and brighter picture. I don't demand a whole lot from my tv watching. It's great for live sports ( Cuse bball and football ) and 'Band of Brothers' is even more awesome on a 110 inch screen, lol.
I'm sure you could find a much nicer one than what I have. There are a lot more options now than there were just 3 or 4 years ago.

The one I have is called a Wowoto H8. It's nice. It connects through the bluetooth in my phone. It was one of the cheaper ones that I found but it has worked out great for me. They have 1 or 2 upgraded projectors since I bought mine. Better and brighter picture. I don't demand a whole lot from my tv watching. It's great for live sports ( Cuse bball and football ) and 'Band of Brothers' is even more awesome on a 110 inch screen, lol.
I'm sure you could find a much nicer one than what I have. There are a lot more options now than there were just 3 or 4 years ago.

Thanks! I'm not a big tech guy and also don't demand a lot of the TV, but our TV room is both a little small and encumbered by three doorways and three windows - it's difficult to accommodate both the TV table and decent seating areas among those obstacles and I got to thinking that it'd be way more efficient to ceiling-mount a projector and have a drop-down screen in front of the double-window (since there's never a time when anyone would want to have use of the window and watch TV at the same time).

I'll explore this Wowoto.

I’m here in Syracuse and my son goes to grad school in buffalo gets it for free as one of my shared users.

In theory they need to be in the same household. Shared with BoomGeese in Rochester too. They apparently track IP address of each users log on. To get around it just make sure your son logs on when at home.

So if I live out of New York State and have HULU can I watch the Clemson game?

I just got rid of Spectrum , switched to YouTube tv. It depends on where you live but in Albany I get ACC network plus the New York channels - Yes and MSG - that sometimes carry SU games. So far all is good. And I am saving $90 per month. As far as ESPN + I got that for $5 per month. I’ll never miss a game.

Same for me In Ballston Spa - been on YT TV for almost 2 years and added ESPN+ last year... it's great since ACCN came live...

Used to be the Raycomm primary rights games were a blackout problem, but not since ACCN came on board this year.

You don’t have to have a smart TV though. I’ve got one smart tv, but my other older tv and a roku work just fine too.

Heck, slingtv was giving away free Rokus if you signed up and committed to 3 months, not too long ago. Not sure if they’re still doing that.
You'll want a better Roku. I upgraded to an Ultra (on sale for $50). The only downside is the remote eats batteries. I bought rechargeables for the remote though. You can set a remote up on your cellphone too. Another option is to use an existing newer Roku remote to control the Ultra box.

I found the upgraded Roku has had much better performance over my 5 year old Roku3. Very little buffering issues.

Last edited:
You'll want a better Roku. I upgraded to an Ultra (on sale for $50). The only downside is the remote eats batteries. I bought rechargeables for the remote though. You can set a remote up on your cellphone too. Another option is to use an existing newer Roku remote to control the Ultra box.

I found the upgraded Roku has had performance. Very little buffering issues.
I’m running everything on $19 fire sticks.

Do any of these cord cutting options include TV Land? Asking for a friend.
You can go to Pluto and get Classic TV

Can't you get TVLand OTA out in the sticks of Clay?

Last edited:
So if I live out of New York State and have HULU can I watch the Clemson game?
Yes. It is on a regional Sports Network tonight. Like Fox Florida, MASN, etc...

You can also use ESPN+

Yes. It is on a regional Sports Network tonight. Like Fox Florida, MASN, etc...

You can also use ESPN+

I didn’t know I could use ESPN + through HULU

Yeah, YouTubeTV really isn’t up to snuff yet. I’m still subscribing to YouTubeTV and Comcast. But I’d like to cut the cord. Just not satisfied enough with YouTube. Unfortunately, I’m not sure Comcast ever adds the ACC Network. A big fail on the part of the ACC and Comcast.

Where do they fall short for you? Thanks.

its a hoax

So say the rich investment people who don't care that the US is only about 25th in the world in Internet speed per dollar paid. I remember dial-up, people, and was one of the first people in the country to have "broadband" (DSL service) in the mid-to-late 90s.
Greater bandwidth means better performance. You can't go faster than the speed at which the content is served, but (a) you can't take advantage of the server's maximum speed if you can't match it; and (b) if you have multiple devices, the greater bandwidth means great capacity, which enables more concurrent users.
Not a hoax. Science.

WSJ = anti-competitive US monopolist interests, not what's actually best, just what's best for investors. And that's the status quo.

Yeah, YouTubeTV really isn’t up to snuff yet. I’m still subscribing to YouTubeTV and Comcast. But I’d like to cut the cord. Just not satisfied enough with YouTube. Unfortunately, I’m not sure Comcast ever adds the ACC Network. A big fail on the part of the ACC and Comcast.
The contract Comcast signed with Disney expires 1/2/2020 or thereabouts.

When that contract expires, Comcast will lose the ability to broadcast any content from Disney. I think it is very unlikely Comcast will let that happen, at least not for a long period of time.

Disney controls too much of what Comcast, or any other cable provider offers. it really isn’t an option for them. They know their customers have other options and if forced to, will move.

Disney will make Comcast carry the ACCN as part of the new contract, just as they have done with every other major cable provider. This is the beauty of being aligned with the biggest content provider in the industry. This islargely why is it inevitable that the SECN and ACCN will get the most distribution and generate the most income of any of the conference networks.

Book it.

The contract Comcast signed with Disney expires 1/2/2020 or thereabouts.

When that contract expires, Comcast will lose the ability to broadcast any content from Disney. I think it is very unlikely Comcast will let that happen, at least not for a long period of time.

Disney controls too much of what Comcast, or any other cable provider offers. it really isn’t an option for them. They know their customers have other options and if forced to, will move.

Disney will make Comcast carry the ACCN as part of the new contract, just as they have done with every other major cable provider. This is the beauty of being aligned with the biggest content provider in the industry. This islargely why is it inevitable that the SECN and ACCN will get the most distribution and generate the most income of any of the conference networks.

Book it.

2022, correct?

Ugh, two more years? Good night, Comcast.
They might give in earlier. Others did well before their contracts were to expire.

it would be good if Disney+ is a big hit. That might put pressure on them.

But Comcast is notorious for being tough to deal with. I would expect 23 more months before it happens. Sorry dude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom