Mike’s Mailbox: Will anything change offensively for Syracuse basketball? | Syracusefan.com

Mike’s Mailbox: Will anything change offensively for Syracuse basketball?

This has been an annual article the past 6 years.
6 years? Back to '13. Hmm we went to two final fours in that time period. I don't know about you, but I would take that every day of the week.

That's too bad for you. We also had a 25-0 start mixed up in there.

25-0 was fools gold and I wasn't buying it. Was one of the worst NCAA tournament games I've ever seen.

I'll watch every game every year but I'm not going to pretend I enjoy it.

That's too bad for you. We also had a 25-0 start mixed up in there.

The offense was broken during that stretch too. If you make Final Fours or go 25-0 it is easier to put up with the broken offense vs being on the bubble every year.

The offense was broken during that stretch too. If you make Final Fours or go 25-0 it is easier to put up with the broken offense vs being on the bubble every year.

I think we hit one shot outside the paint during the Dayton game.

6 years? Back to '13. Hmm we went to two final fours in that time period. I don't know about you, but I would take that every day of the week.

Yep two final fours in the span is impressive and most schools never achieve. Keep in mind someone like Auburn has one final four in their history. Regular season's have been less than we have hoped for lately but the March success counterbalances to a point. Imagine everyone on here if we won 30 games a year and flamed out 1st round every year.

Cuse!

It is possible to believe (a) Going to two Final Fours in this decade is awesome and something I cherish as a fan, AND (b) SU's offense hasn't been particularly good for much of this decade.

Yep two final fours in the span is impressive and most schools never achieve. Keep in mind someone like Auburn has one final four in their history. Regular season's have been less than we have hoped for lately but the March success counterbalances to a point. Imagine everyone on here if we won 30 games a year and flamed out 1st round every year.

Cuse!

Uconn has 2 national championships since 2011. Who cares.

good catch on the fab melo flashback. what i would give to have 3 centers like Fab , Rax and Mooseman .

25-0 was fools gold and I wasn't buying it. Was one of the worst NCAA tournament games I've ever seen.

Honestly, why do you put yourself through this misery. It is suppose to be fun and you are just unhappy all the time. We are 25-0 and you say it's fool's gold. I would do something else if I were you. And keep in mind, your pouting and complaining about the Orange, doesn't change anything.

The other side of the “25-0” coin is finishing 3-6. I mean it’s all the same season.

A season which, by the way was five years ago now.

Honestly, why do you put yourself through this misery. It is suppose to be fun and you are just unhappy all the time. We are 25-0 and you say it's fool's gold. I would do something else if I were you. And keep in mind, your pouting and complaining about the Orange, doesn't change anything.

I'm not unhappy and i enjoy syracuse sports. Im frustrated because our struggles seem like the have simple solutions. Whats the most irritating being told that nothing is wrong and it's business as usual, sick of excuses.

Did watching our last game give you joy? What about losing to garbage teams year after year? Losing recruits, mulitple recruites to far inferior programs. Get out of here.

I'm glad you've enjoyed the past 6 years because outside of a few wins in March I haven't.
I consider “a few” two or three. Between two Final Four runs, a sweet 16 run, and round of 32 finish, that’s 12 very consequential NCAA wins. Plus the three wins in the 2013 Big East tourney run to the championship game. That’s 15. I’d say that’s more than a few. But I get your point. We’ve been mostly mediocre in the regular season since 2014-15.

Last edited:
I'm not unhappy and i enjoy syracuse sports. Im frustrated because our struggles seem like the have simple solutions. Whats the most irritating being told that nothing is wrong and it's business as usual, sick of excuses.

Did watching our last game give you joy? What about losing to garbage teams year after year? Losing recruits, mulitple recruites to far inferior programs. Get out of here.
You complain a lot more than that. And the nonstop we aren't getting IJ is tiresome. Maybe we will. Maybe won't. Neither of us know. Puts us in the same company as everyone else. As far as losing recruits to inferior programs, according to you, they aren't inferior anymore. If it causes you this much angst, do something else. I mean that as a friend. Honestly

I loved 25-0. That season was a blast! We were the talk of the college basketball world all of January and February. Cuse, Arizona and Wichita State were all undefeated so far into the season (it was a college basketball record), and everyone was wondering if one of us could run the table. I don’t know how you couldn’t enjoy that. We dominated the Maui invitational against good competition, we shellacked a top 10 Nova team in the Dome in December, beat UNC in January, and announced to the ACC that there was a new bad boy in town ready to kick ass and take names (lol, I guess that didn’t exactly work out after 2014!). That Duke game was one of the best regular season college basketball games ever. Mos def one of the best Cuse games I’ve ever witnessed in person, and I started going to Syracuse games as a kid in the early 80s and was there all through the 80s and 90s heyday, so I saw all the classic Gtown games. The electric atmosphere in the Dome against Duke that day certainly rivaled Gtown and other Big East classics. Ennis’s Pitt buzzer beater was one for the ages. I don’t know how you can complain about that season. It was not fools gold. That’s moronic. No one thought we were some all time juggernaut like our 2010 and 2012 teams, but we were certainly one of the 10 best teams in the country that season. Sure, it didn’t end how we wanted it to. But there were reasons for that. Cooney, our main 3 point sniper, went into a terrible shooting funk at the end of the year, and Grant got injured for several games and it took awhile to get his mojo back. Dayton was a bad matchup for us, we were ice cold all game, and if we hit even a few more shots, we win going away. The next game would’ve been 10-seeded Stanford, who we easily would have handled (not a physical team), which means we would’ve been playing in the Elite Eight against #1 seed Florida for a shot at another Final Four. The NCAA tourney is a crap shoot, great teams get knocked off every year. And while it was very disappointing to lose, it wasn’t a disaster since we’d just made the Final Four the year before and then went back in 2016. I agree the past couple of seasons have been painful but I just don’t know how anyone can not look back fondly on the 25-0 start to 2013-14.

Last edited: