Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

I would agree with this for the most part. His ties are to the east coast. But he is coaching on the west coast. Most of those ties are gone. Right now, I’m not sure what his recruiting strategy is. As of late, his answer has been with transfers. With no one signed for this class, he brought in three transfers. Not sure how sustainable it is to do that.

UW‘s recruiting strategy has always been, put a fence around the state, and keep the local talent at home. Seattle is a hotbed for NBA, like someone else mentioned, UW has had more NBA players in the last 10-20 years than your own program which is considered better than UW. As a UW fan, this was probably the first time in about 15 years that we didn’t get any of the 4-5 star local kids. They all went elsewhere to play.

UW has never had a problem with talent in the past, it’s always been coaching. Now it seems to be the opposite. Hop can coach, but can he get the right players here?
Would you rather be an NBA stepping stone who wins 20 games once every blue moon or give Hop a chance to build a legitimate program?

Hop will bring in talent.

Would you rather be an NBA stepping stone who wins 20 games once every blue moon or give Hop a chance to build a legitimate program?

Hop will bring in talent.

He needs to prove that. As of now, 1 recruit signed between 2020 and 2021. Someone saying, "don't worry Hop will bring in talent," is the same as someone saying, "don't worry about syracuse basketball, they are a powerhouse they will get back on track."

At some point, you need results. I'm hopeful but it's not looking good in Seattle for the Huskies.

He needs to prove that. As of now, 1 recruit signed between 2020 and 2021. Someone saying, "don't worry Hop will bring in talent," is the same as someone saying, "don't worry about syracuse basketball, they are a powerhouse they will get back on track."

At some point, you need results. I'm hopeful but it's not looking good in Seattle for the Huskies.

Did this guy really come here throwing shade at our program? Don’t act like a fan of the other Huskies.

Did this guy really come here throwing shade at our program? Don’t act like a fan of the other Huskies.

Im not throwing shade at your program. Most people on here complain about JB and the lack of success the past few years. I just find it funny that a lot of people here complain about Syracuse’s recent struggles but defend Hop and UW for a lot of the same issues.

Im not throwing shade at your program. Most people on here complain about JB and the lack of success the past few years. I just find it funny that a lot of people here complain about Syracuse’s recent struggles but defend Hop and UW for a lot of the same issues.

The biggest complaint with Boeheim is his stubbornness, which seems to be increasingly more glaring these past few years. I do agree though that Hop’s best connections are on the east coast which is why I still believe he would be successful here.

The biggest complaint with Boeheim is his stubbornness, which seems to be increasingly more glaring these past few years. I do agree though that Hop’s best connections are on the east coast which is why I still believe he would be successful here.

Agreed. I think Hop would do very well back at Syracuse.

I 100% get what you’re saying. I don’t totally agree with certain opinions in this thread and others but I get where they’re coming from.

I’m a younger Cuse fan so I don’t share the same affinity for Hop as alot of the other people on this board. I don’t think that’s a bad thing I just have a different perspective. It’s easy to see why people want back here. It’s likely he’ll kill recruiting on the east coast and he has head coaching experience unlike a potential internal hire does.

But if another program hired one of their own guys who is performing like Hop is right now (not saying he can’t turn it around this year or next) most people on here would clown them. I’m all for giving him the first call for same reasons as everyone else but I’m not convinced he’s the best hire if that makes sense haha

The opinions of JB on here are funny to me. I think there’s a real chance things get much worse in the post-JB era. We’ve been spoiled.

Let’s be honest. It rarely looks good for the Huskies in Seattle. UW is a crappy program, it is rarely good and will rarely be good in the future.

Even a great recruiter like Hop is going to struggle to bring recruits from his base in the fertile Northeast all the way to Seattle.

I am glad Mike is getting experience at being a HC on UW’s dime. This works out well for him and Syracuse. I guarantee you Mike will leave your program in far better shape that it was in when he came on the scene,

So thanks for giving Mike the chance to further prepare himself for his dream job, the SU HC job. We will always appreciate it. Maybe some day we can schedule a home and home and Mike can show you and the other 4 Husky fans what a NC caliber basketball team looks like. You haven’t seen one in the Pac12 in 25 years and based on recent results, it is unlikely you will see one in the decade or two.

analysis: false
I’ve only been on this board since we haven’t been great and I don’t think his statement is an unfair one. Fingers crossed this place is more fun when (if?) we’re in the top 10 again lol

I’ve only been on this board since we haven’t been great and I don’t think his statement is an unfair one. Fingers crossed this place is more fun when (if?) we’re in the top 10 again lol
you think most posters complain about jb? i think it is about a 60/40 split in his favor

hop's boys manage to stagger across the 40 point line in a loss to uc riverside

Let’s be honest. It rarely looks good for the Huskies in Seattle. UW is a crappy program, it is rarely good and will rarely be good in the future.

Even a great recruiter like Hop is going to struggle to bring recruits from his base in the fertile Northeast all the way to Seattle.

I am glad Mike is getting experience at being a HC on UW’s dime. This works out well for him and Syracuse. I guarantee you Mike will leave your program in far better shape that it was in when he came on the scene,

So thanks for giving Mike the chance to further prepare himself for his dream job, the SU HC job. We will always appreciate it. Maybe some day we can schedule a home and home and Mike can show you and the other 4 Husky fans what a NC caliber basketball team looks like. You haven’t seen one in the Pac12 in 25 years and based on recent results, it is unlikely you will see one in the decade or two.

LOL funny post.

Hop doesn't get a pass because "UW hoops is crappy blah blah blah." That's a lame excuse in sports. Yes, UW is not North Carolina, or even Syracuse, but they are more than capable of being a program that can consistently make the tourney. Seattle is a desirable destination, there is a lot of local talent, and they've shown in the past that they can be successful.

I think a Syrcause-UW matchup would be fun. First to 50 points wins.

LOL funny post.

Hop doesn't get a pass because "UW hoops is crappy blah blah blah." That's a lame excuse in sports. Yes, UW is not North Carolina, or even Syracuse, but they are more than capable of being a program that can consistently make the tourney. Seattle is a desirable destination, there is a lot of local talent, and they've shown in the past that they can be successful.

We will run you guys out of the building sorry. But thanks for getting Hop some HC experience before he comes back home to Cuse where he belongs.

LOL funny post.

SU’s problem these past couple of years hasn’t been offense. We’ve been able to score the ball but haven’t been able to stop anybody.

LOL funny post.

We can score and we should be pretty good this year.

We will run you guys out of the building sorry. But thanks for getting Hop some HC experience before he comes back home to Cuse where he belongs.

You guys would easily beat us. We are likely going to be one of the worst P5 teams. If Naz Carter comes back, then we are probably a below average program. I think he has this year and next year, after that, he may be all yours. It's hard to find any hope with this team. He has one recruit signed, and the two best players will be gone next year.

Tom channeling his inner DC! Love it:)

Woof...they got run by UC Riverside. That's...not ideal.

That's a good thing. Easier for Hop to come back home to Cuse. It won't matter if he flames out next couple seasons. JB will call him personally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom