Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

He may be a coach here sooner than anyone thinks.
Things in the college game have rapidly unspooled for him. I'm not sure what his potential trajectories might be at this point unless something really changes. I love what Hop has done for the program, and I'd love him back... as an assistant. Also, just to see the exploding heads and endless arguments again here on whether or not the prodigal son is still heir apparent. But-- some guys are just never meant to be CEOs.

Thing is if, and it’s a big IF, Hop ever came back on the staff is Red still the associate coach or does Hop come back with that title? Interesting scenario.

Things in the college game have rapidly unspooled for him. I'm not sure what his potential trajectories might be at this point unless something really changes. I love what Hop has done for the program, and I'd love him back... as an assistant. Also, just to see the exploding heads and endless arguments again here on whether or not the prodigal son is still heir apparent. But-- some guys are just never meant to be CEOs.
Hop has been a Head coach for just 3 years. He won Coach of the year in his conference 2 out of those 3. Let's not rush to bury him just yet. While this Carter incident is bad, it sadly does happen all over the country. There have been accusations like that, even here.

Hop has been a Head coach for just 3 years. He won Coach of the year in his conference 2 out of those 3. Let's not rush to bury him just yet. While this Carter incident is bad, it sadly does happen all over the country. There have been accusations like that, even here.

Yes I very clearly remember all the times rumors were swirling of that happening here, including a group incident.

Thing is if, and it’s a big IF, Hop ever came back on the staff is Red still the associate coach or does Hop come back with that title? Interesting scenario.

I can't see a scenario where Hop returns to SU, which in turn forces Red and GMac to get demoted and forces Griff off the staff entirely.

If Red leaves to become HC at a mid-major, there will be a spot available for Hop.

If Red takes GMac or Griff with him, there'll be two spots available.

Maybe Hop just chills out west for a few years until JB retires?

Like I said, I'd love to have him back. The trajectory is not just a downward trend, however; it's a free fall.

I can't see a scenario where Hop returns to SU, which in turn forces Red and GMac to get demoted and forces Griff off the staff entirely.

If Red leaves to become HC at a mid-major, there will be a spot available for Hop.

If Red takes GMac or Griff with him, there'll be two spots available.

True and I know that Hop would never want to come back on staff at one’s expense, especially since he knows and is close with all 3 (Red, Gerry, and Griff).

Exactly. I posted the tweets b/c they clearly explain the reasons for Carter’s sudden suspension and subsequent decision to pursue a pro career. Carter should have been a key player for UW this season. Instead he’s facing some very very serious accusations and has left the program. You can’t blame Coach Hop for Carter’s abhorrent behavior, but it’s gonna make Hop’s job turning things around at Washington even more difficult.

Like I said, I'd love to have him back. The trajectory is not just a downward trend, however; it's a free fall.

It’s looking like a free fall. Last year they finished in last place with two first round NBA picks. This year they are even worst, just comes down to if they finish at the bottom or near the bottom. What’s scary is they will likely lose Green and Wright next season with only one guy signed to 2021. Will be even worst next season. With barely any recruits coming in, guys not getting better, where is the turnaround.

yeah, but playing devil's advocate:
those were 2 historically down years for the pac12. hop brought in a style of play unfamiliar to opponents, played by guys he had recruited to play that style at syracuse. 2 years later, pac12 coaches are more familiar with his approach and now the bank of east coast guys he was able to contact because he repped syracuse is empty. those early advantages are gone

yeah, but playing devil's advocate:
those were 2 historically down years for the pac12. hop brought in a style of play unfamiliar to opponents, played by guys he had recruited to play that style at syracuse. 2 years later, pac12 coaches are more familiar with his approach and now the bank of east coast guys he was able to contact because he repped syracuse is empty. those early advantages are gone

It’s definitely been a mixed bag for Hop since he went to UW. The issue is, he is trending down not up. Ideally you are building and improving, he’s doing the opposite. Also, when he did win, it was with Romar’s guys. He basically inherited a team full of upperclassmen with two NBA players. Not trying to take away from what Hop did, but those are facts.

He’s now had two of his guys run into trouble in two years. Quade with academics, and Naz with the alleged rape. Whether Hop should claim any responsibilities or not, I don’t know, but these are his guys.

It’s definitely been a mixed bag for Hop since he went to UW. The issue is, he is trending down not up. Ideally you are building and improving, he’s doing the opposite. Also, when he did win, it was with Romar’s guys. He basically inherited a team full of upperclassmen with two NBA players. Not trying to take away from what Hop did, but those are facts.

He’s now had two of his guys run into trouble in two years. Quade with academics, and Naz with the alleged rape. Whether Hop should claim any responsibilities or not, I don’t know, but these are his guys.
It’s year 4 my god.
Mike Hopkins has brought the Washington program up from what he took over from Lorenzo Romar.
Romar went 6 years in a row without making the tournament.
You want to hold Hopkins to way higher standard. Good luck getting another good coach if Hopkins is already on the hot seat.
Steve Wojonowski has only made 1 NCAAT in 5 years at Marquette and has zero 0 NCAA tournament wins.

His fanbase doesn’t have people like you on the Duke site holding him to an impossible standard and Marquette is a better program than Washington.

Wait till Hop has a season in a
Non pandemic year like Romar had with Markelle Fulton. Then you have a point.

It’s year 4 my god.
Mike Hopkins has brought the Washington program up from what he took over from Lorenzo Romar.
Romar went 6 years in a row without making the tournament.
You want to hold Hopkins to way higher standard. Good luck getting another good coach if Hopkins is already on the hot seat.
Steve Wojonowski has only made 1 NCAAT in 5 years at Marquette and has zero 0 NCAA tournament wins.

His fanbase doesn’t have people like you on the Duke site holding him to an impossible standard and Marquette is a better program than Washington.

Wait till Hop has a season in a
Non pandemic year like Romar had with Markelle Fulton. Then you have a point.

Hop will get minimum two more years. This season and next for sure. Usually any coach needs 5 years.

There is a difference between not making the tournament but being a bubble team like a Marquette and Indiana, and being in last place. If Hop bottoms out this year, that will be two consecutive last place finishes in a bad conference. If he does it again next year, that’s three consecutive years. With no upward trajectory.

I don’t really care about UW missing the tourney, we are used to that. But you need to have the program moving in the right direction. Between the lack of recruits and all the off court issues (Green and Carter), it hasn’t been a good look for Hop and the basketball program.

It’s looking like a free fall. Last year they finished in last place with two first round NBA picks. This year they are even worst, just comes down to if they finish at the bottom or near the bottom. What’s scary is they will likely lose Green and Wright next season with only one guy signed to 2021. Will be even worst next season. With barely any recruits coming in, guys not getting better, where is the turnaround.

Hop doesn't want to be there. He knows where is home is and always will be. I don't care If Washington finishes in last place next few seasons. When JB decides to go Hop will get the first call. JB will make the call himself. You guys are a stepping stone program. But thanks for giving Hop some HC experience before he comes home where he belongs.

Hop will get minimum two more years. This season and next for sure. Usually any coach needs 5 years.

There is a difference between not making the tournament but being a bubble team like a Marquette and Indiana, and being in last place. If Hop bottoms out this year, that will be two consecutive last place finishes in a bad conference. If he does it again next year, that’s three consecutive years. With no upward trajectory.

I don’t really care about UW missing the tourney, we are used to that. But you need to have the program moving in the right direction. Between the lack of recruits and all the off court issues (Green and Carter), it hasn’t been a good look for Hop and the basketball program.

All sensible points, hard to argue with these. I wish him the best of luck. He is by all accounts a great guy. But if he finishes bottom of the league 3 years in a row, then yes certainly his seat will be hot. Any coaches would be at that point.

Hop doesn't want to be there. He knows where is home is and always will be. I don't care If Washington finishes in last place next few seasons. When JB decides to go Hop will get the first call. JB will make the call himself. You guys are a stepping stone program. But thanks for giving Hop some HC experience before he comes home where he belongs.

This is such a ridiculous post. Hop doesn’t want to be there? Pretty sure if he didn’t want the job he wouldn’t have taken it.
Also you want to hire a coach who has finished in last place every season (in your scenario) to run SU once JB leaves? Man you are on a different planet

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom