Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

Hop should be first call. Hopefully after this year. Coming off some down years expectations will be low and he can have a soft transition. Get his recruiting game going again. It’s a no brainer to me.
Yep, and Hop still has his east coast connections. Just hope Weitsman’s offer of $1 million for a recruit each year stays in place.

Mike Hopkins is a really nice guy Which is likely why he is still coaching. What has he accomplished at the U. Of Washington? His first two years he inherited players and since then it is his show to bring in an occasional all American, if we are to believe his reputation. He has a wild up and down record. I don’t see the lack in winning consistently a reason to hire him, nice guy or not. SU needs a proven winner. Swallow hard, pay a good coach big money. Hiring someone based on potential and yet to lead a consistent winning program yet can set the program in a reverse down spiral for years.

Mike Hopkins is a really nice guy Which is likely why he is still coaching. What has he accomplished at the U. Of Washington? His first two years he inherited players and since then it is his show to bring in an occasional all American, if we are to believe his reputation. He has a wild up and down record. I don’t see the lack in winning consistently a reason to hire him, nice guy or not. SU needs a proven winner. Swallow hard, pay a good coach big money. Hiring someone based on potential and yet to lead a consistent winning program yet can set the program in a reverse down spiral for years.
The problem is who is that proven winner who would come here? can you suggest three names? Every time someone suggests a possible replacement coach on this board, a whole other faction shoots it down (Pipe dream! He’d never leave his current job! Doesn’t win in March! Can’t recruit! He’s a mid major guy!) There aren’t a lot of obvious up-and-comers like Musselman or Oats who appear ready to take the next step. Even guys like Porter Mosher from Loyola Chicago have now moved up to a P5 (Oklahoma). And it seems like other fans on here want coaches with Northeast or mid Atlantic ties. So that would be guys like Ed Cooley, who many posters insist isn’t leaving Providence, or lower level mid major guys like Matt Langel or John Becker. Then there are Rick Pitino advocates and the others who hate him. I personally would love John Beilein, but I don’t think he’s going back to college.

Last edited:
The problem is who is that proven winner who would come here? can you suggest three names? Every time someone suggests a possible replacement coach on this board, a whole other faction shoots it down (Pipe dream! He’d never leave his current job! Doesn’t win in March! Can’t recruit! He’s a mid major guy!) There aren’t a lot of obvious up-and-comers like Musselman or Oats who appear ready to take the next step. Even guys like Porter Mosher from Loyola Chicago have now moved up to a P5 (Oklahoma). And it seems like other fans on here want coaches with Northeast or mid Atlantic ties. So that would be guys like Ed Cooley, who many posters insist isn’t leaving Providence, or lower level mid major guys like Matt Langel or John Becker. Then there are Rick Pitino advocates and the others who hate him. I personally would love John Beilein, but I don’t think he’s going back to college.
Outside the Cuse family; a great coach who can win instantly and would likely say yes, is Sean Miller.

Personally I think Cuse administration is way too conservative but he didn’t receive a show cause from Arizona and is doing great as the first year head coach at Xavier

Outside the Cuse family; a great coach who can win instantly and would likely say yes, is Sean Miller.

Personally I think Cuse administration is way too conservative but he didn’t receive a show cause from Arizona and is doing great as the first year head coach at Xavier

I suspect Miller kept it closer vs Duke today than Boeheim will.

Mike is in a bad recruiting area with Gonzaga on one side and "Nike" Oregon on the other. Getting his East Coast connections to come to the other coast is a bit of a reach especially since NIL.

Oats ship has sailed. Jb’s comments about him basically gave JB the opportunity to poo poo that idea. I truly don’t know when JB is going to retire… I’ve heard multiple different scenarios.

I do know that Hop is and always will be in the running to be the coach

You can make a deal with Oats without telling JB and give him the option to retire or be removed.

Oats will leave Alabama for a better job you don't stay there forever. If we pay enough it could be us.

If JB wanted to be the AD he could have stopped coaching 10-20 years ago.

Mike is in a bad recruiting area with Gonzaga on one side and "Nike" Oregon on the other. Getting his East Coast connections to come to the other coast is a bit of a reach especially since NIL.
Those schools recruit Canada and international prospects more than the PNW but good point.

I don't think its the worst time to leave UW for him though. Hes probably not pulling in the classes Romar did there partially for the reason you just mentioned.

Well said. And look at the paycheck these coaches that we want are getting. They make millions more where they currently are. There’s no chance JW decides to just pump a ton of money into a salary either. I think people are going to be shocked by the list of candidates when the time comes

Enough similarities between Mike Hopkins and Syracuse/UW should he come back and TJ Otzelberger and Iowa State/UNLV?

What's weird about that is that there's no inherent reason Gonzaga should be a recruiting juggernaut other than they were built into that over time. They're not a blue blood with a deep rich history or annually near the top of a major conference.

They showed a graphic last night that UDUB has 8 guys in the NBA currently. I doubt there are 10 schools with more.

I don’t care who it is, as long as he‘s hungry. A hungry coach will naturally recruit hungry players.

JB hasn’t been hungry since he validated himself in 2003. I have no idea what the staff could be like on its own, but if they’re all comfortable and complacent enough to sit on a JB bench and be unheard for 20 years… that doesn’t scream ‘aggressive’ to me.

They showed a graphic last night that UDUB has 8 guys in the NBA currently. I doubt there are 10 schools with more.
I saw a similar graphic a couple of days ago and only had time to note the top of the list and it was like Duke, Kentucky, Carolina with near 20, and Michigan and then USC maybe.

Oh, there it is. Never mind…. Thanks, Atlantic!

He won pac 12 coach of the year twice. Had a season tied for most wins in program history and got them a tournament win for the first time in 8 years.

Hart bringing so cal kids East might be tougher than Hop having a NY to Seattle pipeline.

I just want Oats. That is what Syracuse should look like. Brandon Miller could go 1 overall. I feel like if we got him and won right away Boeheim would go crazy bc he’s so insecure.
Oats will not come here, gotta keep hopes realistic or else you’ll always be disappointed. Syracuse will never match State university money

Oats will not come here, gotta keep hopes realistic or else you’ll always be disappointed. Syracuse will never match State university money

We haven't hired a basketball coach in 50 years.

Last time we did the program was coming off a Final Four.

I don't think we'll overpay a risky coach but if a slam dunk recruiter was deep in negotiations we might meet their number.

I think we need a 'name' guy Shaka Smart might be a more realistic option and wouldn't need to be given a crazy amount. SU is a top 10 job that hasn't been available as long as these guys have been alive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom