Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 60 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

Hop is a great guy and good recruiter, but is a lousy game coach. He’s really clueless on the sidelines. More cheerleader than coach.
I don't know what happens before or after the games between Boeheim and the assistants. But unlike a lot of other coaches, Boeheim does not ask for any input from his asst during the game, especially during timeouts prior to speaking to team. Asst never get a chance to see their ideas instituted. Can't help in developing their in game coaching skills. They are just observers

Last edited:
Hop is a great guy and good recruiter, but is a lousy game coach. He’s really clueless on the sidelines. More cheerleader than coach.
I’ll never forget how lousy of a coach he was when JB was suspended for those 4 games in 2015 or so.

Hop losing to Cal Baptist makes Colgate seem a little better. Can Red really do any worse than either Hop or JB
Why? Is Washington the measuring stick now?

In Hop's defense, he did win 2 PAC12 COY awards.

But - that was primarily with players left over from Romar, and/or a few guys he had existing relationships with that were built thru his time at Cuse.

Now he has neither of those, and the results are telling.

It's quite possible he might have done better if he'd gotten to take over at Syracuse when it was originally intended to occur.

However - that ship has now long since sailed, and his east coast recruiting relationships have all faded into the past.

Wildhack would be committing AD malfeasance if he doesn't do a proper National search for the next Men's hoops coach.
There is ZERO point in artificially limiting the talent pool to "was a former Cuse hoops player".

And yeah - maybe it ends up being Red (or Hop) anyway, but you MUST make them compete for the job against the field, NOT just hand it to them because they are alums who played for and coached under JAB.

Programs like UNC and Dook can go with the "continuity hire" because they have ongoing high level success they want to maintain.

We've been in a decade-long decline, and it appears to be accelerating.
The last thing we need now is more of the same that got us to this point.
The definition of insanity...
UNC/Duke/Kansas all recruit themselves.

I'm thinking Cal Baptist is really pretty good. have an international roster with transfers from Georgetown and Utah. Made the CBI last year. New player in SoCal basketball being located in Riverside.
bagdad-bob.jpg

Not up to Carolina standards?Guthridge was 1st after Dean and went to Tournament every year with two Final Fours. Dougherty had a couple down years and then Williams took over. Dean Smith wasn’t exactly John Wooden in the Tournament so I’m not sure what standards you are talking about.
Right, Guthridge, narrow Guthrie thanks. If I remember things did not go well for him. I would need to look up his record but in my memory he was not really successful, Maybe I am wrong. It was a while ago.

Right, Guthridge, narrow Guthrie thanks. If I remember things did not go well for him. I would need to look up his record but in my memory he was not really successful, Maybe I am wrong. It was a while ago.
Just looked it up and I was very wrong. He was great, National coach of Thea and 80 and 28. Hope we can come close to that when coach retires.

I don't know what happens before or after the games between Boeheim and the assistants. But unlike a lot of other coaches, Boeheim does not ask for any input from his asst during the game, especially during timeouts prior to speaking to team. Asst never get a chance to see their ideas instituted. Can't help in developing their in game coaching skills. They are just observers
May be during practices JB listens to them, and decides he will not listen to them until he likes their ideas during practices.

Hop's Huskies taking on St. Mary's in the Wooden Legacy Championship game. My first real look at Keion Brooks and
Kepnang too.
4-4 early in the first half... On the deuce

Last edited:
Hop's Huskies taking on St. Mary's in the Wooden Legacy Championship game. My first real look at Keion Brooks and
Kepnang too.
4-4 early in the first half... On the deuce
Menifield is suppose to be solid too... 3 star freshman guard averaging double digit points.

I’m still in the belief that Hop gets the first call.
If we stay with a Cuse alum I would prefer Jason Hart. If his coaching is anything like his playing style, I would expect pressure defense, full court press and a running up tempo offense.

He seems to have great recruiting contacts and now has head coaching experience with the ignite. Shaheen Holloway didn’t have much experience and he seems to be doing well at Seton hall after leading St Peter’s last year

If we stay with a Cuse alum I would prefer Jason Hart. If his coaching is anything like his playing style, I would expect pressure defense, full court press and a running up tempo offense.

He seems to have great recruiting contacts and now has head coaching experience with the ignite. Shaheen Holloway didn’t have much experience and he seems to be doing well at Seton hall after leading St Peter’s last year
Good point and I like Hart as an option too, although I’d be curious to know what his interest is since he’s always been a West Coast guy (aside from his 4 years here of course).

Good win for 5-1 Washington.
This is the essence of the problem of trying to build a power team at UW. The game was on so late that I didn't even about it and I would have liked to watch Hop and UW play a solid program like the Gaels.

Is Hart interested in going the college route? I thought I saw some people say he got frustrated with being passed over for college head coaching jobs. I wonder if he would go back or if he is planning on trying to climb through the pro ranks.

Last edited:
Hart bringing so cal kids East might be tougher than Hop having a NY to Seattle pipeline.

I just want Oats. That is what Syracuse should look like. Brandon Miller could go 1 overall. I feel like if we got him and won right away Boeheim would go crazy bc he’s so insecure.

Oats ship has sailed. Jb’s comments about him basically gave JB the opportunity to poo poo that idea. I truly don’t know when JB is going to retire… I’ve heard multiple different scenarios.

I do know that Hop is and always will be in the running to be the coach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom