Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

Exactly. I posted the tweets b/c they clearly explain the reasons for Carter’s sudden suspension and subsequent decision to pursue a pro career. Carter should have been a key player for UW this season. Instead he’s facing some very very serious accusations and has left the program. You can’t blame Coach Hop for Carter’s abhorrent behavior, but it’s gonna make Hop’s job turning things around at Washington even more difficult.
I agree that Hopkins should not be blamed for Carter’s actions. Those actions were quite serious according to the Twitter feeds mentioned in your earlier post. The feeds indicate that Carter was “convicted” (their words) in an internal University Title IX case of s’ally assaulting two different victims, and as a result, was suspended from the University for Winter Quarter 2021 and Spring Quarter 2021. I see no reason to fault Hopkins for what appears to be non-basketball-related incidents. But of course as you said, it will hurt Hopkins because Carter was their returning top scorer.

It’s looking like a free fall. Last year they finished in last place with two first round NBA picks. This year they are even worst, just comes down to if they finish at the bottom or near the bottom. What’s scary is they will likely lose Green and Wright next season with only one guy signed to 2021. Will be even worst next season. With barely any recruits coming in, guys not getting better, where is the turnaround.

Are you positive they only have one recruit signed for next year? Either you have told us that 50 times or it is automatically inserted into every post

I know we only have one but Husky Hooper has told us that about UW in every post.

Well - now *I* am gonna mention that in every post!!

(not really)

I wouldn’t suggest turning the game on but let’s just say my Montana +7 ticket at Washington tonight is looking great at the end of the first half

I wouldn’t suggest turning the game on but let’s just say my Montana +7 ticket at Washington tonight is looking great at the end of the first half
Oof. Down 12 at the half. Hope Hop gets these guys to play hard and come together, but they look pretty horrible right now.

Oof. Down 12 at the half. Hope Hop gets these guys to play hard and come together, but they look pretty horrible right now.
It’s bad. Even a couple years ago when our offense was as bad as it’s ever been we had a guy like Tyus to do something. It seems like they don’t have anything. Tough to watch

It’s really bad at UW. And I don’t see it getting better. There is little to no talent on the team. Guys aren’t developing. And the recruiting isn’t there.

Hop got back to back conference COY, he may also get UW back to back last place finishes, in what’s a pretty awful conference. Put Syracuse in the Pac and they likely finish top two.

UW basketball was never great, but they’ve rarely been this bad. Hate to say it, but Hop has completely set the program back, worst than Romar. And I don’t know if he can save it. Soonest turnaround would be the 2022-2023 season. Quade and Wright leave next season with one recruit incoming. Their best player next season is likely Stevenson or Bey.

It’s really bad at UW. And I don’t see it getting better. There is little to no talent on the team. Guys aren’t developing. And the recruiting isn’t there.

Hop got back to back conference COY, he may also get UW back to back last place finishes, in what’s a pretty awful conference. Put Syracuse in the Pac and they likely finish top two.

UW basketball was never great, but they’ve rarely been this bad. Hate to say it, but Hop has completely set the program back, worst than Romar. And I don’t know if he can save it. Soonest turnaround would be the 2022-2023 season. Quade and Wright leave next season with one recruit incoming. Their best player next season is likely Stevenson or Bey.
But what about the class for next year? How many recruits have been signed?

Instant playing time for transfers. Hop isn't going to just sit back and let this fall apart. He will hit the transfer portal hard. There are a lot of talented kids out there that are unhappy.

LOL. I knew you would be back today. I watched the game last night which was painful and thought husky hooper is definitely posting.

We love Hop here on this board, that's pretty obvious.

They just lost to Montana. UW STINKS.

If we lost to NE yesterday we'd call for Boeheim's head. We'd settle down ... but not if we were staring a 1-5 record in the face.

Hop's not gonna last long at UW if something doesn't change. Not sure why that's so crazy to say

Losses to Montana and UC Riverside...I've wanted JB to hang 'em up at times over the last few years for much less than that. I was one of those who put too much stock into what I considered to be a dress rehearsal during JB's suspension, but I've never been sold on Hop as a head coach. Still, I'd love him back here in some capacity. If he is ever the head coach at Syracuse I'll support him, but I haven't seen anything other than a few recruiting wins that make me think he would be a successful head coach here.

This has to be killing him and I hope he turns it around at UW.

Last edited:
I doubt very much that Hopkins would ever come back here as an ass't.

Hop will be a head coach wherever he winds up next, if things don't work out at Washington.
Many, many people would love to have him as their head coach. No question about it.
As you said, he won Coach of the Year in a P5 conference in his first 2 years as a head coach. There is no question about his ability.

If Hop went somewhere else after Washington it would be interesting to see if he stays out west or comes back closer to the east coast.

Feel bad for Hop, has his son Griff on the roster now.

I remember when folks were pissed when he started grabbing guys SU normally lands, Ham Wright, Nate Roberts, Stewart, Quade transfer. All recruits on the east coast. It sounds like he never established his connections out West and now the well back East has dried up. I don't see him turning it around there, it will depend on how long they can tolerate the losing at UW.

Losses to Montana and UC Riverside...I've wanted JB to hang 'em up at times over the last few years for much less than that. I was one of those who put too much stock into what I considered to be a dress rehearsal during JB's suspension, and I've never been sold on Hop as a head coach, but I'd love him back here in some capacity, and if he is ever the head coach at Syracuse I'll support him, but I haven't seen anything other than a few recruiting wins that make me think he would be a successful head coach here.

This has to be killing him and I hope he turns it around at UW.

This is probably the worst UW team in well over 20 years. Hop is completely in over his head. It’s crazy how quick everything turned on him.

I don’t mind the losing right now, the issue is there is no clear plan for the future. Next season probably gets worst. I personally think the program is worst off now than it was when Hop took over. Not a good sign.

This is probably the worst UW team in well over 20 years. Hop is completely in over his head. It’s crazy how quick everything turned on him.

I don’t mind the losing right now, the issue is there is no clear plan for the future. Next season probably gets worst. I personally think the program is worst off now than it was when Hop took over. Not a good sign.
You guys had the number 1 pick in the draft in Markelle Fultz and went 9-22 and 2-16 in conference play.

This year’s team isn’t even the worst Washington team in the last 5 years.

If any fan base understands feeling hopeless about a program, it's ours.

You guys had the number 1 pick in the draft in Markelle Fultz and went 9-22 and 2-16 in conference play.

This year’s team isn’t even the worst Washington team in the last 5 years.

ehhhhh... UC Riverside & Montana are very bad. 1-5 to start. That Fultz team was bad, but i think this one is worse

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom