Mike Hopkins and UW | Page 79 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins and UW

Apparently UW didn't think so, lol. Honestly feel bad. Will always think what could have been had he got to coach in 2018, I think Buddy being able to come changed everything and messed up the succession plan. Isiah Stewart and other east coast talent would have came might have had some longer success than he did at UW.
I mean, how gutless is the UW BOT? The Huskies could win the P12 tourney and make a run in the NCAAT, it's not out of the question. They did Hop a favor, who wants all those long flights in the B1G. I think Hop will get another shot at a better spot.

Which is mind blowing after reading Hoops Heist. There aren't many areas in the country that are about hoops as much as yours.

Side note but I am going to become a diehard fan as soon as Seattle gets another NBA team. As they deserve to have.
It's a football first school. They don't have a great basketball facility. The area has always been well recruited by Arizona and other schools (UK, Duke, Gonzaga etc). They make the same mistakes over and over again. They need to hire a capable coach who know the local area and can recruit. There is plenty of talent in the Seattle Rotary and Friends of Hoop they just hire the wrong people. Hopkins who I love is an east coast guy. The hired Romar who can't coach at all and only can recruit. They will hire someone with no ties to the area because they have "head coaching experience" and they will move on from him in 4 years. Wash, rinse, repeat

He will get another gig if he wants it, maybe not P4, but in basketball unlike football, you can be highly successful at a mid major. DePaul, Temple etc. those are just examples, not sure if Temple is looking, but you all get what I’m saying. Frank Martin, Shaka, BB is a whole different animal.

It's a football first school. They don't have a great basketball facility. The area has always been well recruited by Arizona and other schools (UK, Duke, Gonzaga etc). They make the same mistakes over and over again. They need to hire a capable coach who know the local area and can recruit. There is plenty of talent in the Seattle Rotary and Friends of Hoop they just hire the wrong people. Hopkins who I love is an east coast guy. The hired Romar who can't coach at all and only can recruit. They will hire someone with no ties to the area because they have "head coaching experience" and they will move on from him in 4 years. Wash, rinse, repeat
How do you think the team will respond in the Pac 12 tourney? They just beat the 2 seed on their home court handily.

He went 15-17 with Jaden McDaniels, Isaiah Stewart, and Nahz Carter. The offense was mostly terrible during his time there.

He will get another gig if he wants it, maybe not P4, but in basketball unlike football, you can be highly successful at a mid major. DePaul, Temple etc. those are just examples, not sure if Temple is looking, but you all get what I’m saying. Frank Martin, Shaka, BB is a whole different animal.
Only problem with those kind of comparisons is both guys had more success than Hop.

I mean, how gutless is the UW BOT? The Huskies could win the P12 tourney and make a run in the NCAAT, it's not out of the question. They did Hop a favor, who wants all those long flights in the B1G. I think Hop will get another shot at a better spot.
I assume they have a new AD after Jen Cohen left for USC in 2023. I don't think he gets a P5 job, but I could see possibly a Big East or A10 school giving him a shot which might work out for him.

I assume they have a new AD after Jen Cohen left for USC in 2023. I don't think he gets a P5 job, but I could see possibly a Big East or A10 school giving him a shot which might work out for him.
Have you seen any of their games this season? I really think they win the P12T.

They will hire someone with no ties to the area because they have "head coaching experience" and they will move on from him in 4 years. Wash, rinse, repeat
By all reports they're getting Danny Sprinkle from Utah St who is 25-5 in Year 1. Heck of a coach who will crush it with more resources.

By all reports they're getting Danny Sprinkle from Utah St who is 25-5 in Year 1. Heck of a coach who will crush it with more resources.
He better like late night flying. They have 1 school, Oregon, that is within a thousand miles of them.

Good luck to Hop. He will be back on a sideline when he wants to be. Rooting for him.
He has plenty of reasons ($3.1 million) to take next year off and then choose a program that’s right for him and his family.

He went 15-17 with Jaden McDaniels, Isaiah Stewart, and Nahz Carter. The offense was mostly terrible during his time there.
had a lot of NBAers but couldnt make any noise...shudder to think what he might do with even lesser talent

Hate to be that guy, but his teams were like the last seven years of Boeheim-lite. Too much zone for today’s game. Where was the offense?

Being a great guy, a great East coast recruiter, and an alum does not mean he would be the guy you actually ended up wanting as the head coach.

It took him a couple of years to recover from the wheels completely coming off on that team. Something went seriously wrong that year they looked unstoppable in November but were toast by the end when the PG everyone on here loves got tossed.

Hop should have been better this year two former UK starting guards and some great defenders. P12 ended up weaker than expected no power squad UA very good but WSU #2? Weak league.

He got a fair shake and probably gets another HC job somewhere.

Hate to be that guy, but his teams were like the last seven years of Boeheim-lite. Too much zone for today’s game. Where was the offense?

Being a great guy, a great East coast recruiter, and an alum does not mean he would be the guy you actually ended up wanting as the head coach.
Agree with you. Think we are in a better spot moving forward with Red.
Take Hop's SU ties out and look at it clean, he didn't win enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom