Mike Hopkins hired a new | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins hired a new

It's shockingly low
I think UW feels like if Hop leaves and goes back that would mean UW basketball would be doing much better. That is the way the fans are talking. UW Football hired Sark knowing he could go back to USC but they were a dumpster fire at the time. He got them to a bowl game in 2-3 years and winning 7 games consistently then went back to USC. They then hired Peterson and now it's humming. I think the school and fan base figure that could play out again and considering their current position aren't overly concerned about it. In fact Softie who day2 quoted said something along the lines Hop gets Udub to the tourney 2 times in 4 years and we are playing something resembling defense I don't care about him leaving. Are you kidding me. Have you watched this team the last 2 years. Sign me up man.

But again, there's the out for the school. $5mm penalty if the condition isn't met. Otherwise Hop would be able to sue for SP or full value of the coach contract.

I forget, you're a lawyer right?
There is no specific performance when monetary damages will suffice. Just like on the flip side we can't force Hop to take the SU job, as it would be a form of business slavery.

But again, there's the out for the school. $5mm penalty if the condition isn't met. Otherwise Hop would be able to sue for SP or full value of the coach contract.

I forget, you're a lawyer right?

Anyone has an "out" by not honoring a contract. But there's the penalty, which is a potential lawsuit or payment. The HCIW contract specifically spells out the conditions of the contract, which is the school must make him the coach by X date. If they don't, they pay. Hop wouldn't be entitled to the full value of the contract, since he wouldn't be coaching the team, which is what the full value pays for. He'd be entitled to the the penalty.

In Jimbo Fisher's case, he would have owed FSU the same $5MM buyout, had he left earlier than Jan 1, 2011.

To not recognize that jb didnt want to leave and this impacted hop is silly imo. You dont need inside sources for this. Hop left on his own accord but he did it because a) he had a great opportunity and b) he would never push jb out the door. Its a win win. Also, not praising jb because he couldve stepped aside but he doesnt want to do that. Imho hop wouldve stayed if jb said he had enough. Id bet on that.
Your points:

a) Substantiated by everyone who is in a position to know with the exception of the then Chancellor.

b.) Right out of your imagination and others. Groundless supposition and silly rumor-mongoring about something you could not possible know to be true.

50% ain't bad.

Yes, exactly, agree 100%. Had he stayed the job would have been his...unless SU decided to pay the penalties instead.

no university or corporation would agree to pay millions in penalties to retain somebody exclusively on their staff who in fact was free to leave at any time. just think about how stoopid that sounds.

If they don't that could explain why they haven't been to the Tournament in six years and won 9 games with the potential #1 pick in the NBA Draft this season.

No pressure = no motivation

Yeaah, I get it.

The reason a significant percentage of the so-called fan base acts like spoiled children after an SU loss is to provide the coaching staff with motivation.

no university or corporation would agree to pay millions in penalties to retain somebody exclusively on their staff who in fact was free to leave at any time. just think about how stoopid that sounds.

Why don't you read back through the posts and understand just what the agreement committed the University to and what it committed Hopkins to.

"Florida State must pay offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher $2.5 million if he isn't hired to replace Bobby Bowden as head coach in three years, but Fisher would have to pay an equal amount to leave before then."

Fisher's Florida State Coaching Deal Has .5 Million Buyout :: FSU must pay Jimbo Fisher .5 million if he isn't hired to replace Bowden in three years - COLLEGE SPORTS OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

"FSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher has a stipulation in his contract that says he must replace Bowden by January 2011 or the school will owe him $5 million"

Bowden signs deal for 34th season at Florida St.

Honestly man, I can't believe you can't understand this.

Last edited:
exactly. a contract is generally binding to both parties. with penalties applicable to both if negated.

Your points:

a) Substantiated by everyone who is in a position to know with the exception of the then Chancellor.

b.) Right out of your imagination and others. Groundless supposition and silly rumor-mongoring about something you could not possible know to be true.

50% ain't bad.

Yep but you have no idea what youre talking about so theres that too.

exactly. a contract is generally binding to both parties. with penalties applicable to both if negated.

Generally? Contracts are often one-sided. Remember the goal of the HCIW contract. To keep the assistant coach from leaving. The buyout isn't alway paid by coach. There was one in Fischer's contract, but that is not always the case.

"If Franklin, 38, had remained at Maryland, he would have received $1 million if not named Maryland's head coach by January 2012. The departure of Franklin, who had been named head coach-in-waiting in February 2009, leaves Maryland facing several questions during an important winter for the program and for first-year Athletic Director Kevin Anderson."

James Franklin expected to leave Maryland to become Vanderbilt football head coach

if i had a dollar for every time you told me mike hopkins was the next syracuse head coach i'd be sitting in a box seat next year. but since jb hasn't actually left yet and been replaced and it could still come to some miraculous fruition i'll have to wait to collect. but believe me when i say your credibility has suffered.

if i had a dollar for every time you told me mike hopkins was the next syracuse head coach i'd be sitting in a box seat next year. but since jb hasn't actually left yet and been replaced and it could still come to some miraculous fruition i'll have to wait to collect. but believe me when i say your credibility has suffered.

Mike Hopkins had a contract to take over the head coaching job in 2018. Like Boehiem said, it was "set in stone". You said that contracted never existed, right? Like I told you the last time I had to explain all of this to you, Hopkins always had the option to leave and Syracuse didn't have to honor the contract, but would have to pay the penalty. Hopkins decided to leave early, just like James Franklin and Will Muschamp.

I get that your schtick here is to try to be a comedian and throw out zingers, but this is simple stuff man. Try to read it, and learn.

show me the contract. as i said it's ridiculous to pay a penalty to retain somebody who is free to leave. no?
what would be the purpose of exposing yourself to such indemnity ?

show me the contract. as i said it's ridiculous to pay a penalty to retain somebody who is free to leave. no?

You want me to show you the contract that Syracuse nor Mike Hopkins has to provide publicly?

Are you telling me that James Franklin and Jimbo Fischer were not getting penalty payments, as reported because you think it's rediculous?

"The news comes shortly after it was announced that Maryland assistant coach James Franklin accepted the head coaching job at Vanderbilt. Franklin was Maryland's head coach-in-waiting and was guaranteed $1 million if he was not named Friedgen's successor by January 2012."

Ralph Friedgen Officially Out As Maryland Football Coach

So this is fiction?

"With Franklin's departure, as well as $1 million saved, Anderson's plans quickly changed. The program is losing money as attendance dwindles and newly-constructed suites at Byrd Stadium sit unsold."

Sounds very real to me.

if your goal is to retain an employee you lock them down with a contract that does not let them walk.

if your goal is to retain an employee you lock them down with a contract that does not let them walk.

What? Mike Hopkins had a contract. Every coach has a contract. Coaches with contracts leave all the time. John Calipari had a big contract at Memphis. Guess what he did?

Show me a contract that does not let them walk.

and that's called a buy out clause. i haven't heard any talk of hopkin's financial penalty for leaving.

What? Mike Hopkins had a contract. Every coach has a contract. Coaches with contracts leave all the time. John Calipari had a big contract at Memphis. Guess what he did?

Show me a contract that does not let them walk.
resize.jpg

and that's called a buy out clause. i haven't heard any talk of hopkin's financial penalty for leaving.

"said it's ridiculous to pay a penalty to retain somebody who is free to leave. no?"

You just said buy out clauses didn't exist.

I didn't see any penalty for Frankin's leaving early either. He likely didn't have one.

Last edited:
what would be the purpose of exposing yourself to such indemnity ?

What would be the incentive for the coach to stay then? Why sign them to a HCIW contract in the first place?

The intent would be to actually follow through on the contract and make that assistant the HC. There's no risk to the school if that's the case, right?

Anyone has an "out" by not honoring a contract. But there's the penalty, which is a potential lawsuit or payment. The HCIW contract specifically spells out the conditions of the contract, which is the school must make him the coach by X date. If they don't, they pay. Hop wouldn't be entitled to the full value of the contract, since he wouldn't be coaching the team, which is what the full value pays for. He'd be entitled to the the penalty.

In Jimbo Fisher's case, he would have owed FSU the same $5MM buyout, had he left earlier than Jan 1, 2011.
Again that doesn't mean they have to make him coach. It means they have the option to and if they don't there's a penalty. That is vastly different than having a contract in place to be head coach. In fact I'm honestly struggling with whether such an HCIW contract is even enforceable. I'd like to know what consideration the HCIW gives up.

i'll slow down. any HCIW contract which bound the university to substantial penalties if not honored would also surely bind the HC candidate to said penalties if he left the university prior to succession.
that is the essence of the buy out clause. but it binds both parties of the agreement. not just the university.

i'll slow down. any HCIW contract which bound the university to substantial penalties if not honored would also surely bind the HC candidate to said penalties if he left the university prior to succession.

So now mike hopkins and cuse univ have the power to bind jim boeheim on his emplyment contract? Good grief no. Look up privity of contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom