Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins one of two to interview for USC job

If Mike left and Jimmy stepped down......dare I say it.....but Alford has done an amzing job with the Lobos, and besides, he owe's us a NC.

I'd take Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Scott Drew or Stan Heath tomorrow if JB stepped down and Hop went to USC.
Stan Heath?

We'd go from a (usually) fun to watch up tempo team to stall ball team...no thanks.

Butler took a chance on a very young Brad Stevens and now he is one of the hottest coaches in the college ranks. I'd love to see SU take a similar chance on GMac let it play out. I guarantee you that the team would play with passion and intensity.

I don't think you leave a top tier BCS program unless there are special circumstances (usually b/c you are an alumnus or have family in area). And I personally don't think we'd go for someone "older", like a Larranaga or Steve Fisher.

That leaves guys from lower-tier BCS schools (Steve Donohue, Fran McCafferey, Stan Heath, Herb Sendek, Cuonzo Martin, Scott Drew), and rising stars at mid-majors (Shaka Smart, Brad Stevens, Chris Mack, Chris Mooney, Gregg Marshall). Finally, I'd also toss Louis Orr, Tommy Amaker, and Paul Hewitt into the candidate pool.

Fixed.

I liked the successor plan that was in place with Hop. I don't think it would be too late to start again. Have JB hand pick another coach-in-waiting.

This would be a coveted position for a young up and comer. Probably should try and go more local this time (so, yes Paulus should be kicking himself). If JB thinks GMac has the chops, he could be given some run. Maybe, JB is a step ahead of us and this was the reasoning behind his controversial GMac over a bigs coach hire in the first place.

This would give JB the incentive to stick around another 5 years, break the 1000 barrier, go out a legend.

Have to throw Duke, Indiana, and UCLA in there too.

In June 2012; ESPN ranked the top jobs: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ation-top-10-college-basketball-coaching-jobs

1. UNC
2. UK
3. KU
4. UCLA
5. Indiana
6. Duke
7. Syracuse
8. Ohio State
9. Louisville
10. Arizona
Honorable mentions: Michigan State, Texas, UConn, Florida

UCLA, Duke and Indiana are all great jobs, but I think there is an argument that Syracuse is equal to or better than them. Specifically I'd point to the lure of the Dome and 30,000+ is something that no other school can offer. Also, I would venture that Syracuse's more relaxed admission standards make it slightly easier to recruit to than Duke. We also have easy recruiting in NY and PA within a short drive to campus. The only jobs that are head and shoulders above the rest of the top 10 are UNC, UK and KU.

Misleading thread title. It says a source said Hop interviewed, but doesn't say he was the only other one. They have interest in 5 candidates, whether Hop is the leader or not I have no idea.

UCLA, Duke and Indiana are all great jobs, but I think there is an argument that Syracuse is equal to or better than them. Specifically I'd point to the lure of the Dome and 30,000+ is something that no other school can offer. Also, I would venture that Syracuse's more relaxed admission standards make it slightly easier to recruit to than Duke. We also have easy recruiting in NY and PA within a short drive to campus. The only jobs that are head and shoulders above the rest of the top 10 are UNC, UK and KU.

Can't agree with this. I t hink UCLA and Indiana, at least, are definitely more attractive than SU. It's also hard to separate the success of SU from Boeheim, which makes it a little harder for me to judge how good the job is. It's definitely an attractive job, the dome is a huge lure, and the league will be great, but it's not like there are a ton of great players in the area. Indiana is a basketball mad state, and every kid that grows up there probably grew up dreaming of playing for IU.

If i was a random up and coming basketball coach, and i had no connection to any of the schools, I would pick coaching at IU or UCLA ten times out of ten over SU. (not a knock on SU, but those 2 schools are the cream of the crop. Think we're a level below)

Stevens would be my first choice. Scott Drew is the last dude on the planet that I would want. Dirty recruiter, mediocre game coach.

To the people that think the Creans and Selfs of the world would be lining up to come to Syracuse, think again. We would be very attractive to the next tier of coaches though. Mark Few would be awesome. I like Painter at Purdue as well.

I think we would have to put Stevens, Wright and Few at the top. Few will probably not leave the Zags. I still think Wright would b the best guy He has been thru the battles of the Big East, and he had made his love for SU clear.

Can't agree with this. I t hink UCLA and Indiana, at least, are definitely more attractive than SU. It's also hard to separate the success of SU from Boeheim, which makes it a little harder for me to judge how good the job is. It's definitely an attractive job, the dome is a huge lure, and the league will be great, but it's not like there are a ton of great players in the area. Indiana is a basketball mad state, and every kid that grows up there probably grew up dreaming of playing for IU.

If i was a random up and coming basketball coach, and i had no connection to any of the schools, I would pick coaching at IU or UCLA ten times out of ten over SU. (not a knock on SU, but those 2 schools are the cream of the crop. Think we're a level below)

I don't necessarily disagree, I just said there's an argument. Regardless, I think most of us agree that Syracuse is LSU and not Alabama. Still, not a horrible place to be.

"I'd love to see SU take a similar chance on GMac let it play out."

maybe we could flood the weightroom at the melo center and stock it with bass.
...and give every recruit a compound bow as a recruiting visit gift.

Story.jpg

Syracuse Basketball: Mike Hopkins to USC? (Brent Axe Podcast)

well also if hopkins doesn't get the gig ya gotta go hmmmm. usc hoops gets better coaches than the cuse ?

Well, it isn't all just that JB is a great guy - he gets a boatload of money from Nike, so he doesn't have to make the university pay as much. But some new coach like Mike won't necessarily get all that Nike money (at least to start) and could use a more competitive salary.

Oh--no argument there. But the point is that Boeheim earns a comfortable salary--especially given the cost of living in CNY--and that salary is supplemented by Nike. So he was willing to coach at his alma mater and not chase being at the top of the market scale for salaries, even though his accomplishments warranted him being paid a lot more than what he was making here.

well also if hopkins doesn't get the gig ya gotta go hmmmm. usc hoops gets better coaches than the cuse ?

Right, because USC has never made a poor decision when hiring a basketball coach.

well maybe darryl helped pull a robinson there...i don't know. but if hopkin's is so super qualified...hmmm

They are my favorites as well. Sorry for trying to cast a wider net.

I think a program like SU should have a very short list for who they want to succeed JB. Very short. Meaning you can count the choices on one hand and you wouldn't need all five fingers.

anyone have a list of jobs hopkins has interviewed for? only actually reported ones i know for sure are st bonny job and now usc. any others curious?

anyone have a list of jobs hopkins has interviewed for? only actually reported ones i know for sure are st bonny job and now usc. any others curious?

UNC-Charlotte.

I think a program like SU should have a very short list for who they want to succeed JB. Very short. Meaning you can count the choices on one hand and you wouldn't need all five fingers.

I'm sure they do. But I also think they create a candidate pool and identify the main targets, while knowing who options B, C, and D are. You need to prepare for contingencies.

Why do people think Brad Stevens will never leave Butler? It's not like they are in any kind of power league, or the school has facilities and a budget to keep them competitive over the long haul.
Two years ago Stevens signed a contract with Butler through 2022, making approximately $1mil a year. He had multiple suitors offering big time contracts. I'm inclined to believe that he likes, and is comfortable, at Butler.