Mike Schmidt hired by Mississippi State | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Schmidt hired by Mississippi State

Pretty sure he was eager to leave because he was told he wasn’t going to have a job here next year. The new OL coach was already in town arranging dinner plans with the OL and QB for the weekend.

That’s a pretty good indication that this has been in the works for a while…and everyone kept quiet until all had a seat at someone’s table.
So Beck and Schmidt didn’t see eye to eye.

Sounds like a situation where the in-laws get screwed out of seeing their grandkids because they were never very nice to the in-law… where they always expected their son/daughter to be the buffer.

Not quite. Lead in 2022 at 8.7 per game but in 2021 we were actually middle of the pack at 6.2 penalties per game. Still not good obviously.

I thought I saw 9.3 next to our name for 2021, and the 6-point something was the couple years before that.

Edit: I see now that was segments of the last year; I thought it was prior years.

I thought I saw 9.3 next to our name for 2021, and the 6-point something was the couple years before that.

Edit: I see now that was segments of the last year; I thought it was prior years.
The most concerning thing here was that the penalties got significantly worse his second year with the program.

We have historically had a lot of penalties in the Babers era but part of this has been driven by us usually running a very fast paced offense. That kind of a scheme makes it hard to defend but it also makes it hard on the offense to get into position, get set, not leave early etc.

Last year, we didn’t try to play very fast very often.

Disturbing things.

Last edited:
The most concerning thing here was that the penalties got significantly worse his second year with the program.

We have historically had a lot of penalties in the Babers era but part of this has been driven by us usually running a very fast paced offense. That kind of a scheme makes it hard to defend but it also makes it hard on the offense to get into position, get set, not leave early etc.

Last year, we didn’t try to play very fast very often.

Disturbing things.

I agree, and I would go so far as to suggest that we haven't played "fast" since DeVito.

Uh, it's called everything leading up to, and preparing for the game. Once the clock starts, it's predominantly up to the players. Coaching matters more in the aspects leading up to the event. Most games are won or lost long before game day.
Exactly!