Mike Schmidt hired by Mississippi State | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Schmidt hired by Mississippi State

What the hell?! Will these teams leave our guys alone. This is BS! I understand a guy or two but they are pilfering our entire staff.
Is our assistant salary budget really that lousy?
You really think Miss state, Minn, and Nebraska (all part of far better paid conferences) aren’t dwarfing our salaries? It’s probably not that Syracuse is “that lousy” and more so the SEC and Big Ten schools are “that good”

I believe this was the last part of the Shrader/Arnett+1 trade. ;)
I think we made out OK. :)

I like Dino but am beginning to think that everyone is jumping ship for the same reason, though I don’t know what the reason is. Something other than money, like they think he will be fired or something.

Unfounded and false rumor designed to ameliorate his loss: Schmidt’s family was crestfallen when East Germany disintegrated. Stasi sympathizers. You could tell by his body language and borderline goose-stepping.
Upshot: we lose a pinko commie but gain a patriotic Farmer from the heartland.
Was this written by AI? Lol

I like Dino but am beginning to think that everyone is jumping ship for the same reason, though I don’t know what the reason is. Something other than money, like they think he will be fired or something.

Things aren’t always as they appear.

The line has been a mess...I dont know whos fault that is...change here doesnt bother me.

We've had a few guys roll through here who've had success at other places, but not here. I'm going to go ahead and guess it's the players, not the coach.

Next man up, he's coach plenty of OLs, he'll probably run into the same problems too.

We've had a few guys roll through here who've had success at other places, but not here. I'm going to go ahead and guess it's the players, not the coach.

Next man up, he's coach plenty of OLs, he'll probably run into the same problems too.
Outside of Bergeron and a few others we haven't done a very good job of recruiting in general over the last 5 years - a lot of misses. That has as much to do with it as anything. And generally even when we've looked for more plug and play types either from JUCO or out of the portal we've missed on far more than we've landed. Enrique Cruz is one of the few I can think of that was heavily recruited including SEC/Big10 programs that we landed. Bergeron turned out great and was highly thought of in Canada but wasn't heavily recruited south of the border. He was a great find.

For the most part anytime we're recruiting an OL guy from HS/JUCO/Portal and big boys get involved, we lose. And those types or prospects are how you turn a bad OLine around quickly. Turning it around through identifying diamonds in the rough and developing them takes years.

This was clearly a situation where we told Schmidt it was time to move on

Us having his replacement immediately indicates that.

I think Dino was over the constant penalties, poor recruiting and mediocre play by some guys who should have been playing far better

I think Dino was over the constant penalties, poor recruiting and mediocre play by some guys who should have been playing far better

Maybe. Schmidt certainly landed on his feet though. Good for him.

You're only going to turn around the recruiting by investing in it. We cannot compete for top OLine prospects now with the Big 10 and SEC. They come calling, we lose. When Texas A&M and probably other schools now are giving NIL just for walking through the door as a recruit, it puts us at a drastic disadvantage.

That isn't going to change based on who has OL coach next to their name unless the guy is a Larry Johnson (DL) like guru. Then maybe, but NIL still makes it an uneven playing field.

See, I think this is clearly a situation where Zach Arnett called a friend and asked him if he wants to coach an OL in the SEC. My 'theory' is that us having a replacement lined up is because Arnett's phone call took place weeks ago after he was named head coach and between Arnett, Schmidt and Long/Babers all being friends they made some gentlemen's agreements. None of this was leaked and was made public the day after portal closed. Those things don't happen by accident.

Last edited:

Meaning, we told him you are too good a coach to not be coaching at the highest level of college football - the SEC.