Mike Tirico on Syracuse’s future: ‘I think we have a place’ | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Tirico on Syracuse’s future: ‘I think we have a place’

We got work to do on the field

We are near the bottom win percentage wise combined performance hoops and football past ten years

Really need a nice three or four year run in both to boost our perception

Freeney plays in 2001, 23 years ago. Do you feel your case is weak, and that’s why you chose to frame 23 years as “nearly thirty years ago”?

Because framing him as finishing his career at Syracuse “nearly thirty years ago” is objectively absurd.
I mean, it’s not important regardless because I don’t think it’s relevant, but sure, I rounded for emphasis.

No need to be so dismissive- it's an important fact & works to our advantage. We're the only high major program in the NE and the great, and populous state of NY...that counts for something.
i mean sure it helps, but if that really mattered for much then Syracuse would have already gotten an invite to the BIG or SEC versus being on the list of “maybe to the BIG12”

I mean, it’s not important regardless because I don’t think it’s relevant, but sure, I rounded for emphasis.

I’m not entirely sure you get how rounding works. If you need to “round” from 23 to 30, it’s because your point is incredibly weak and needs artificial bolstering.

And - if you don’t think it is relevant, you should have just used the actual number of years instead of making up your own number and pretending you were “rounding”.

Whether you realize it or not, you severely weakened your position with your choice to “round” instead of just sticking to actual facts.

I’m not entirely sure you get how rounding works. If you need to “round” from 23 to 30, it’s because your point is incredibly weak and needs artificial bolstering.

And - if you don’t think it is relevant, you should have just used the actual number of years instead of making up your own number and pretending you were “rounding”.

Whether you realize it or not, you severely weakened your position with your choice to “round” instead of just sticking to actual facts.
Okay, remove it entirely. Professional Hall of fame members means nothing in terms of general college football relevance and attractiveness to conferences.

Who the hell cares if it has any relevance to conference expansion attractiveness. It has a lot to do with brand identity. History and tradition mean a lot to college football. At least it did. People are doing everything in their power to eliminate it these days. (Yes, I’m talking about those good folks who think history and tradition started 10 years ago!) Do you think ND doesn’t lean hard on throwing out the names of past great players? That list of NFL greats helps define SU football. Let’s use it.

Who the hell cares if it has any relevance to conference expansion attractiveness. It has a lot to do with brand identity. History and tradition mean a lot to college football. At least it did. People are doing everything in their power to eliminate it these days. (Yes, I’m talking about those good folks who think history and tradition started 10 years ago!) Do you think ND doesn’t lean hard on throwing out the names of past great players? That list of NFL greats helps define SU football. Let’s use it.

Exactly.
No one is claiming it's a tipping point, but for brand identity why not use it? It can't hurt, and we've earned it.

Last edited:
Exactly.
No one is claiming it's a tipping point, but for brand identity why not use it? It can't hurt, and we've earned it.
We have been awful at utilizing our brand for years and we were awful on the field.

I think we should utilize all of our logos, etc w signage and uniforms too. We are like an early Nike school and can’t get alternate /retro uniforms. Stuff matters.

Winning however cures all. We have stunk since Clinton left office. If we change that a lot of these margin items will just bolster the brand

SU is trending in the right direction. Red has in a very short period time already changed the narrative around SU basketball recruiting. We have landed back to back HS studs and are seriously being considered by more highly rated HS players than in the last 10 years.
Fran is on a completely different level than anyone since Coach P. Its not even close and i do think that he will see the recruiting and cultural changes result in wins.
The Athletic complex is well underway, same with the JMA.

Better coaches
Better facilities
Solid NIL
International Brand
NY State

SU is about to become the second most important brand in the East after P state. That matters.

SU will always have a seat at the big boy table. It might not be in the Big 10 but it will be at a minimum in a third place ACC or a Third-place combination of the ACC and Big 12.

We have been awful at utilizing our brand for years and we were awful on the field.

I think we should utilize all of our logos, etc w signage and uniforms too. We are like an early Nike school and can’t get alternate /retro uniforms. Stuff matters.

Winning however cures all. We have stunk since Clinton left office. If we change that a lot of these margin items will just bolster the brand

We've run multiple jersey combos for lax and hoop. And since 2004 tried #s on helmets, white at home, etc etc etc...but I think things will progress better with the swoosh.

i mean sure it helps, but if that really mattered for much then Syracuse would have already gotten an invite to the BIG or SEC versus being on the list of “maybe to the BIG12”
Eh. When would that have happened?

We've run multiple jersey combos for lax and hoop. And since 2004 tried #s on helmets, white at home, etc etc etc...but I think things will progress better with the swoosh.

the branding and uniforms were subpar at best until this latest version and that version is just colored differences. We need alternate helmets, uniforms like real programs. But I think that stuff will come with success and a coach who looks forward versus sideways like Dino, Shafer.

SU is trending in the right direction. Red has in a very short period time already changed the narrative around SU basketball recruiting. We have landed back to back HS studs and are seriously being considered by more highly rated HS players than in the last 10 years.
Fran is on a completely different level than anyone since Coach P. Its not even close and i do think that he will see the recruiting and cultural changes result in wins.
The Athletic complex is well underway, same with the JMA.

Better coaches
Better facilities
Solid NIL
International Brand
NY State

SU is about to become the second most important brand in the East after P state. That matters.

SU will always have a seat at the big boy table. It might not be in the Big 10 but it will be at a minimum in a third place ACC or a Third-place combination of the ACC and Big 12.
Again

It's time to prove it on the field.

Basketball could really use not just tourney appearances, but a run of three or four consecutive sweet 16s to kind of bring some luster back to the program. Being forthright, probably need an elite eight or final four to help things further.

Football needs three or four consecutive 8 win seasons with bowl wins, not just appearances. Again, being forthright, probably need a couple 9 win seasons with Fran at the helm to change the perception.

No reason that football cannot grind 9 wins with a bowl win this year. I fully expect next year to be a step back just based off potential schedule. This year has to have that pop.

Again

Basketball could really use not just tourney appearances, but a run of three or four consecutive sweet 16s to kind of bring some luster back to the program. Being forthright, probably need an elite eight or final four to help things further.

Football needs three or four consecutive 8 win seasons with bowl wins, not just appearances. Again, being forthright, probably need a couple 9 win seasons with Fran at the helm to change the perception.

No reason that football cannot grind 9 wins with a bowl win this year. I fully expect next year to be a step back just based off potential schedule. This year has to have that pop.
Football is trending way up. I think basketball is still trending down. If you looked at a chart, it's not good for hoops. Red has to get the team back into the tournament and succeed there for anyone to think SU is back hoops wise. We're not Georgetown right now (that's SU football like 2005-2007 range) but we're certainly not even in the same galaxy as UConn right now.

Hope it changes soon

Football is trending way up. I think basketball is still trending down. If you looked at a chart, it's not good for hoops. Red has to get the team back into the tournament and succeed there for anyone to think SU is back hoops wise. We're not Georgetown right now (that's SU football like 2005-2007 range) but we're certainly not even in the same galaxy as UConn right now.

Hope it changes soon
Red has signed more 5 stars in basketball the last two cycles than we have in the past 15 years and has us in the mix for about 6 top 50 players for next year. Sometimes I really do NOT think you pay attention to much of anything outside of New England.

I would actually trust Tirico and his political pull. Life is life. He has some sway. Not all end all, be all but he can move a needle regardless of what you think.
Do you have any examples where his pull has made any difference whatsoever before I start to believe that conference realignment criteria includes making an NFL announcer happy?

Do you have any examples where his pull has made any difference whatsoever before I start to believe that conference realignment criteria includes making an NFL announcer happy?
Lol. Ok.

Again

I don’t think bowl game performances are a sign of anything anymore. One way of looking at it… the better the non-playoff bowl game the team goes to the more likely the team had a great season the more likely the best players sit out to not get hurt for the draft or portal. I think bowl games outside of the playoffs are dead as anything more than a glorified scrimmage.

The new bar for relevance will be can you make the dance once every 3/4 years.

No need to be so dismissive- it's an important fact & works to our advantage. We're the only high major program in the NE and the great, and populous state of NY...that counts for something.
It only works to our advantage if SU is able to leverage HOFs, location, etc. into recruiting success and wins. If we are truly going away from market focused media, recent success and name recognition is what seems to matter.

I think Syracuse is extremely lucky that SUNY-Buffalo is in Western New York and not outside of NYC. If it was closer to NYC, I could easily see it try and follow the UCF/USF model of trying to become relevant in football as it tries to become the flagship NY state school. The distance from the population base in the state limits its advantages somewhat (I also think it should rebrand from University at Buffalo to New York State University, but I digress).

I feel good about us getting a seat when music stops. We’re still NY’s College team and every league wants presence in the #1 market.

Rutgers doesn’t really deliver the NY market. Syracuse doesn’t really deliver the NYC market but we are the logical best option.

So long as FB delivers winning seasons and exciting teams we’ll be fine. If Hoops can improve too we’ll be golden.

Mike was just on the Smartless podcast with Jason Bateman and Will Arnett and it was fantastic. He talks about Syracuse constantly and I wish it was longer than an hour because it was phenomenal. The guy is just 10 stars all around. Give it a listen

Mike was just on the Smartless podcast with Jason Bateman and Will Arnett and it was fantastic. He talks about Syracuse constantly and I wish it was longer than an hour because it was phenomenal. The guy is just 10 stars all around. Give it a listen
Will have to listen.

Reports say he's going to be the lead NBA voice for NBC now too. Love having him on our side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom