Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left

Obviously, but I think a good portion of our fans look at Gerry as some little kid.

Some little kid – below is a summary of what he did while here. It's either Hopkins or Gerry. Gerry has a VERY HIGH BB IQ – so do not count him out count him IN. I think he would be a great H.C. for us. Who else are you gonna get besides these two? Hopkins seems very comfortable at U.W. and has been successful already. I think it would be a stretch to get him back. Mike had great patience waiting for his time to come and finally made a choice which seems great for him.

Gerry is very comfortable at SU and I am very comfortable with Gerry. He knows JB's offenese and defense with his eyes closed. And, will come into his own as soon as JB leaves. He'll be here for a long time if successful. A prime choice IMHO. He is an outstanding talent who doesn't take any crap from anyone. He knows guards , forwards, BIGS and how to have his assistants coach them. More power to him!

McNamara started all 135 games he played in his four years and graduated with a degree in Communication and Rhetorical Studies in May 2006. A 2006 Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American, McNamara was named by Big East head coaches to the league's All-Freshman team in 2003, to the All-Big East second team in 2004 and to the All-Big East first team in 2005 and 2006.

His career statistics rank among the greats in Syracuse's school history. He finished fourth in points scored (2,099), first in minutes played (4781), second in steals (258), third in assists (648), first in three-point shots made (400) and attempted (1,131), and first in career free-throw percentage (89.1%).

In 63 career Big East games, McNamara set conference records for three-pointers made (183) and career free-throw percentage (91.7%). His 400 career three-pointers ranked sixth all-time in NCAA history.

McNamara was also named the 2006 winner of the Chip Hilton Player of the Year Award. The award is presented annually by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to a senior Division I men's player who demonstrates outstanding character, leadership, and talent.

McNamara left Syracuse as one of the most beloved players in Orange basketball history; his final regular-season game at the Carrier Dome on March 5, 2006, was the arena's first-ever advance sellout for a basketball game. The final attendance of 33,633, at that time an all-time NCAA record for an on-campus regular-season game, included more than 3,000 fans—dubbed "McNamara's Band" by the media—from the Scranton area (according to media reports more than 60 buses made the two-hour trip from Scranton to Syracuse for the game).Among those people coming up from Scranton were McNamara's parents, who were in attendance for every game in his college career.Syracuse lost the game to highly ranked Villanova University; McNamara led all scorers with 29 points.

WELL?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love SU hoops, but SU ain't UNC in terms of jobs. It's just not.
That’s irrelevant. Kansas to UNC is blueblood to bluebood. Whereas UW to Cuse is a huge step up. The ACC > PAC 12. Cuse = elite program. Washington’s ceiling is unknown, but I wouldn’t bet on them becoming elite as a PAC 12 school.

Some little kid – below is a summary of what he did while here. It's either Hopkins or Gerry. Gerry has a VERY HIGH BB IQ – so do not count him out count him IN. I think he would be a great H.C. for us. Who else are you gonna get besides these two? Hopkins seems very comfortable at U.W. and has been successful already. I think it would be a stretch to get him back. Mike had great patience waiting for his time to come and finally made a choice which seems great for him.

Gerry is very comfortable at SU and I am very comfortable with Gerry. He knows JB's offenese and defense with his eyes closed. And, will come into his own as soon as JB leaves. He'll be here for a long time if successful. A prime choice IMHO. He is an outstanding talent who doesn't take any crap from anyone. He knows guards , forwards, BIGS and how to have his assistants coach them. More power to him!

McNamara started all 135 games he played in his four years and graduated with a degree in Communication and Rhetorical Studies in May 2006. A 2006 Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American, McNamara was named by Big East head coaches to the league's All-Freshman team in 2003, to the All-Big East second team in 2004 and to the All-Big East first team in 2005 and 2006.

His career statistics rank among the greats in Syracuse's school history. He finished fourth in points scored (2,099), first in minutes played (4781), second in steals (258), third in assists (648), first in three-point shots made (400) and attempted (1,131), and first in career free-throw percentage (89.1%).

In 63 career Big East games, McNamara set conference records for three-pointers made (183) and career free-throw percentage (91.7%). His 400 career three-pointers ranked sixth all-time in NCAA history.

McNamara was also named the 2006 winner of the Chip Hilton Player of the Year Award. The award is presented annually by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to a senior Division I men's player who demonstrates outstanding character, leadership, and talent.

McNamara left Syracuse as one of the most beloved players in Orange basketball history; his final regular-season game at the Carrier Dome on March 5, 2006, was the arena's first-ever advance sellout for a basketball game. The final attendance of 33,633, at that time an all-time NCAA record for an on-campus regular-season game, included more than 3,000 fans—dubbed "McNamara's Band" by the media—from the Scranton area (according to media reports more than 60 buses made the two-hour trip from Scranton to Syracuse for the game).Among those people coming up from Scranton were McNamara's parents, who were in attendance for every game in his college career.Syracuse lost the game to highly ranked Villanova University; McNamara led all scorers with 29 points.

WELL?

WELL?
That’s a great resume if you’re applying for an assistant coaching position or the job at Siena. Not for a head coach here at SU. This is NOT a knock on Gerry but a testament to the prestige of our program.

A school the caliber of SU - in this era of ACC $$$ - would only hire someone without HC experience if that resume was extraordinary and demonstrated superior skills in more than one facet. Hop was a great recruiter with a remarkable ability to connect with and motivate players. His only question mark was his ability to manage a game.

What exactly does Gerry excel at?

Last edited:
A lot harder to get in position to win the big one in the PAC 12
Exactly. A PAC 12 school hasn’t won a title in 21 years. Zona hasn’t even been to the Final Four since 2001. Oregon and UCLA are the only Final Four schools from the PAC since then. Hop may feel one way right now. But give him a few years out there. He’ll realize that his ceiling is way higher at SU. he’ll be in a better position to succeed here in 5-6 years anyways, after JB hangs it up.

last years class was pretty weak. OB was the only impact player until marek found his groove during the last month. pretty hot take saying OB would start over 95% of the other freshmen considering he isn't even considered first round yet
I just saw him as top 10 in next years draft. He wouldn't have shown up in any of this years as there was no indication he was going.

WELL?

WELL?

Not that i don't think he would make a good head coach (maybe even at SU someday)

But none of those things really determine coaching success.

Hop is not coming back would you? Red will be the next coach and he deserves it

To play in a conference that gets 8-10 team in the tournament every year verses a few? Yeah I think he'd do that.

Was Hop really ever a victim? It's been clear for a decade that he'd go if a good opportunity came along. Multiple interviews...

And why do people think GMac would leapfrog Autry despite the latter being more than a decade older, and with more experience?

I asked the question this afternoon to someone who makes decisions in the department, Red is next up if they were to go within the program for the next HC

You don't turn down a job that good.

2 years before he got there they recruited well enough to have 3 1 and done 1st rounders in 2 years one of which was a #1 overall pick and thats with the program in the dumpster. (Chriss/Murray/Fultz.) Actually if you count the recruits who were supposed to play for Romar this year its 5 1 and done first rounders if Jontae Porter gets picked in the first too.

This should be perfect for us. In 3-4 years he'll want to leave UW if he hasn't made a final four or two because coaches tend to move around and like to take better jobs while their stock is high and before their team regresses and has a couple bad years and with the experience he gets there he'll be better equipped to replace a HOFer who coached the team for half a century.

Realistically why would Jay Wright come to Syracuse?

It still gets mentioned on this forum ten times a week.

Has there ever been anything to suggest Wright might want to come here other than SU fans think he's good and like him and wish he were here?

I'm still waiting for Michelle Pfeiffer to realize she's in love with me.

upload_2018-4-15_8-46-18.png

Hop is not coaching here.

If it gets to the point where Hop is a legit possibility to succeed JB that will mean that he will have built UW into a power in the pac 12 AND i don't see him leaving that.

And that doesn't even touch the stuff mason alluded to.

Also I am slowly accepting the fact that Gerry McNamara is going to be the next SU head coach and I need a drink.

Denny Crum was supposed to be the heir apparent to John Wooden. But he had big success at Louisiville and decided to stay. Roy Williams stayed at Kansas when Dean Smith retired. Later his relationship with the AD soured and UNC needed him so he made the switch.

You don't turn down a job that good.

2 years before he got there they recruited well enough to have 3 1 and done 1st rounders in 2 years one of which was a #1 overall pick and thats with the program in the dumpster. (Chriss/Murray/Fultz.) Actually if you count the recruits who were supposed to play for Romar this year its 5 1 and done first rounders if Jontae Porter gets picked in the first too.

This should be perfect for us. In 3-4 years he'll want to leave UW if he hasn't made a final four or two because coaches tend to move around and like to take better jobs while their stock is high and before their team regresses and has a couple bad years and with the experience he gets there he'll be better equipped to replace a HOFer who coached the team for half a century.

Or he’ll want to stay BECAUSE he didn’t get to the final four.

You're missing the point of my reference to that...It was an example..KU and UNC were on par with each other as far as "jobs" and Roy made the change..
I apologize but we are on level or close to UNC. We have the best facilities in the country. I am tired of hearing we aren’t on same level with high level teams. We Can be anything we need to be. Screw them other teams and get back t top where we belong.

Or he’ll want to stay BECAUSE he didn’t get to the final four.

Coaches move around these days. Boeheim's retirement should be the sweet spot for Hop to leave on top and before the program regresses. Yes he would probably say no tomorrow if out of nowhere Boeheim retired.

He had a great season when the team was expected to be awful. That means he has no pressure on him years 2-3. If he wants to have no pressure on him come year 5 he likely needs a final four or multiple trips to the second weekend. If hes done well but not that well its a smart move to return home before he has a bad year and his stock drops. His good first year isn't going to matter for long.

That school likely has unrealistic recruiting expectations for him. Assuming both Porters go 1st round that will be 5 first rounders in the last 3 drafts his predecessor signed. Fair or unfair thats what the fanbase will expect. And their monster class last year ended up being duds Norwell who stayed and Jontae Porter who may not have reclassified for UW were the only ones who did anything. Michael Porter played 30 minutes of basketball all season and Mammadou Diarra and Blake Harris did nothing at Cincy and Missou.

I apologize but we are on level or close to UNC. We have the best facilities in the country. I am tired of hearing we aren’t on same level with high level teams. We Can be anything we need to be. Screw them other teams and get back t top where we belong.

We're not on the same level as UNC. And our facilities while being top notch years back a few years ago, most power programs are on par with us.

Who is saying we aren’t? Cuz I certainly didn’t.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom