Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left

I have no idea if Hop is coming back. Nor do I have any inside information. But as for his quote that he wants to build something in Washington, he has to say that. Anything at all about coming back to Syracuse in the future, and it gets blasted everywhere. It's possible he really does want to do what he says. And it's possible he is giving lip service. I'm cool either way. Coaches are paid to win, not tell the whole truth to the press. If he does decide to leave, there may be a little whining about how he said he wanted to build something there, but people will get over it (for the most part, I know some are still bitter about Marrone). He won't get to move to a better job unless he does well at UW.
If he does really well at Washington, SU won't be among the better jobs. They have money, money, money and a better city to which to recruit.

Last edited:
If he does really well at Washington, SU won't be among the better jobs. They have money, money, money and a better city to which to recruit.

'Really well' means a national championship or multiple final fours.

Remember their fanbase expects recruiting classes like the Chriss/Dejuante Murray or the Fultz or the Porter class thats what the guy before him was bringing in.

He meets those expectations hes coaching in the NBA in 5 years or going back to LA to coach UCLA. Don't think there is another job other than UCLA and Syracuse he wants. If he does 'well' but not that well he probably wants to leave to go home and replace JB while his stock is still high.

Hes going to do a nice job for them for 5 years and then come home. JB will be handing him a Ferrari we are going to be extremely good this year returning every player from the best defensive team in the country that won 3 tournament games (well maybe those chumps who lost to a 16 are a little better on D but you get the point.) I'm guessing after we have a monster season and send multiple guys to the first round we start getting the burger boys everyone dreams of to play with good 4 year guys like Marek/Buddy/Sidibe.

Trust the process.

'Really well' means a national championship or multiple final fours.

Remember their fanbase expects recruiting classes like the Chriss/Dejuante Murray or the Fultz or the Porter class thats what the guy before him was bringing in.

He meets those expectations hes coaching in the NBA in 5 years or going back to LA to coach UCLA. Don't think there is another job other than UCLA and Syracuse he wants. If he does 'well' but not that well he probably wants to leave to go home and replace JB while his stock is still high.

Hes going to do a nice job for them for 5 years and then come home. JB will be handing him a Ferrari we are going to be extremely good this year returning every player from the best defensive team in the country that won 3 tournament games (well maybe those chumps who lost to a 16 are a little better on D but you get the point.) I'm guessing after we have a monster season and send multiple guys to the first round we start getting the burger boys everyone dreams of to play with good 4 year guys like Marek/Buddy/Sidibe.

Trust the process.

Again, this is a program that has not been to a final four (or past the the sweet sixteen even) since 1953. They haven't been to the Sweet 16 since 2010 and haven't even made the tournament since 2011.

But you think UWs expectations of hop in the next five years are "a national championship or multiple final fours."

Come on man.

This is just not true. The money is a wash. SU gets just as much being in the ACC. Besides, the best recruits don’t really want to play in the PAC 12, unless they’re west Coast kids who don’t want to leave. The conference has been 2nd rate for many many years. Syracuse is one of the elite programs in the most elite college basketball conference. SU is and will be the better job.

Again, this is a program that has not been to a final four (or past the the sweet sixteen even) since 1953. They haven't been to the Sweet 16 since 2010 and haven't even made the tournament since 2011.

But you think UWs expectations of hop in the next five years are "a national championship or multiple final fours."

Come on man.

I'm just saying if he doesn't get close to that OR bring in Fultz/Porter recruits he'll feel some heat.

Thats just life. Their fans will be like 'Hop is a good coach its nice winning 20 games but I want the big time recruits that Romar got.;

I'm just saying if he doesn't get close to that OR bring in Fultz/Porter recruits he'll feel some heat.

Thats just life. Their fans will be like 'Hop is a good coach its nice winning 20 games but I want the big time recruits that Romar got.;

So if UW is consistently making the NCA tournament, which again, they haven't done in eight years, you think the fans are going to be upset that they're not signing Markelle Fultz.

I mean the whole reason Romar got fired was because he wasn't doing anything with those recruits.

Come on man.
And you and Tuttle think Hop is going to suddenly make a school like Washington with little history into an elite b-ball program in just a few years on the job? But that SU is on the decline and won’t ever be able to entice Hop back here? SU will still be elite in 5 years and UW will be on the upswing, but there will still be a wide gulf between the two. The Dome is a huge moneymaker for the basketball program. That’s why the school is consistently rated as one of the most valuable in college basketball. I think Hop will do well at UW, but to insist that he’d never come back to Syracuse (if we pay him what he’s worth) is knee-jerk cynicism at its worst.

So if UW is consistently making the NCA tournament, which again, they haven't done in eight years, you think the fans are going to be upset that they're not signing Markelle Fultz.

I mean the whole reason Romar got fired was because he wasn't doing anything with those recruits.
I do agree with this. If Hop can win fairly consistently there, the UW fan base will be thrilled. As you say, top 10 recruits are nice but if you can’t win with them, you’re not keeping your job. Romar just proved that.

And you and Tuttle think Hop is going to suddenly make a school like Washington with little history into an elite b-ball program in just a few years on the job? But that SU is on the decline and won’t ever be able to entice Hop back here?

I literally, not figuratively, said nothing like that. Like at all.

SU will still be elite in 5 years and UW will be on the upswing, but there will still be a wide gulf between the two. The Dome is a huge moneymaker for the basketball program. That’s why the school is consistently rated as one of the most valuable in college basketball.

Yes, I think in five years SU will still be the better job.

I think Hop will do well at UW, but to insist that he’d never come back to Syracuse (if we pay him what he’s worth) is knee-jerk cynicism at its worst.

Yeah sorry it's my opinion that he's not coming back to SU for a few reasons. if that makes me cynical i will own that. I may be proven wrong and I would love to be wrong as so far he's shown himself to be a great coach. But fortunately this is a good job and i think we will be able to attract a great coach either way.

Why would fans care about big time recruits more than wins?
And what did Romar do with his great recruits???
To lose while having great recruits gets you what Romar has right now. And the fans are a lot happier with Hop!

Why would fans care about big time recruits more than wins?
And what did Romar do with his great recruits???
To lose while having great recruits gets you what Romar has right now. And the fans are a lot happier with Hop!

He made the NIT and had some big wins when expectations were low. Are they always going to be happy with NIT seasons? What level does he have to recruit at to keep them happy? OK fans care a little more about wins vs stars in recruiting but they definitely care about both. Cuse job is top 5 nationally and opens up once every 50 years. He went here.

Trust the process.

He made the NIT and had some big wins when expectations were low. Are they always going to be happy with NIT seasons? What level does he have to recruit at to keep them happy? OK fans care a little more about wins vs stars in recruiting but they definitely care about both. Cuse job is top 5 nationally and opens up once every 50 years. He went here.

Trust the process.

Syracuse is a top 5 job?

Best conference, best fans in terms of attendance, long streak of having a player drafted 1st round etc. If its not top 5 you are nit picking since its certainly top 10.

I would agree...providing they pay like it. Which we have no way of knowing, since Boeheim has been working for below market value for so long. I would assume they will pay up when necessary, it’s too big of a program not to IMO. We’ll see though.

I would agree...providing they pay like it. Which we have no way of knowing, since Boeheim has been working for below market value for so long. I would assume they will pay up when necessary, it’s too big of a program not to IMO. We’ll see though.

Lot of seats in the Dome and they aren't cheap. We have a good TV deal. We will pay whomever a market rate. But whoever gets the job will be making a decent amount before they come here I don't think we are going best midmajor/A10 coach route. They'll make more than JB did year 1. I hope its Hop with 5 years experience at a big school under his belt. He should be ready to move on and take the job he waited a decade for in 4-5 years.

Unlike Football we only have to worry about losing a coach to the NBA.

Hop will be back. He just has to stay decent at UW and not get fired (which I dont think he will at all). With him running the show, watch out!!
He will not be back GTD

If Washington is winning 20+ games each year and Hop and his family are happy along with the Booster/Alum/Fans not getting greedy or being a grass is greener type club I can see him staying there for many many years. He will have his ups and downs win wise and if expectations get out of control it'll be interesting to see how he handles that especially since if he remained on the Hill expectations would have been high right out of the gate. Beautiful area there and he seems to be able to recruit the east coast as well and I'm sure he'll develop solid relationships out west as his personality will win over a lot of HS programs and AAU types. I'm thrilled for him that things are going well, he and his family deserve it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom