Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left

Realisticly, why would he come back?
He has said that he wanted to establish his own program with his own culture.
If he came back to Syracuse, it would still be JB's program that he would be taking over.

Realistically why would Jay Wright come to Syracuse?

It still gets mentioned on this forum ten times a week.

He's a Philly guy that grew up as an assistant under Massimino. It's NEVER happening. The mods should auto ban people every time it gets brought up here.

But he won't be able to win the big one unless... oh, wait a minute.

Realisticly, why would he come back?
He has said that he wanted to establish his own program with his own culture.
If he came back to Syracuse, it would still be JB's program that he would be taking over.
if hop ever comes back, it will be to rebuild gmac's program

He's a Philly guy that grew up as an assistant under Massimino. It's NEVER happening. The mods should auto ban people every time it gets brought up here.
Come on, the poster has only been here since yesterday. He/she has hardly had a chance to weigh in on all the hot button topics.

SU had the chance to have Hopkins as its coach and the opportunity was lost (for a variety of reasons). It won't happen now.

I mean, this is pretty obvious, isn't it?

I'm not sure how many people would want to come back to work for an employer that told you for 10 years that you had a job, but then never gave you that job, but then after awhile FIRMLY said you had that job, but then when it really came down to that firm deadline, said "nah, actually you don't have the job".

I know I wouldn't.

I don't think that's a fair assumption to make about Gerry's future coaching ability
hence the "if;" i'm not predicting he'll be a failure, only that he's the heir apparent

Gerry and I are the same age. When JB retires he will be 38 ish? Not unrealistic he could be the coach.

Just ignore these people. You, I, 50 other posters have waxed poetic about why this will NEVER happen. People are insane to bring this up. Figure out who the next Dan Hurley will be. That or GMAC is the next coach.

Here’s my opinion:
JB is close to ready to retire.
NCAA comes down hard on SU, to the point where it is obvious to everyone - most especially the AD and JB - that there a going to be a couple of bumpy seasons ahead.
AD and JB both know this would be a rough stretch to throw Hop into. It would look like a step backwards. AD knows JB can weather it, he has equity in the collective fan base. Hop would be judged more harshly.
Despite promises to Hop, AD asks JB to stay on and views this as a “re-stabilizing” period. JB agrees, but doesn’t really want to set a timeline on it. AD suggests 5 years so it cannot be used as a recruiting tool against SU in the short term. JB agrees.
Hop gets offer. Recognizes an opportunity. Both sides agree that the timing is good for Hop to strike out.
JB has to Coach a couple of years with limited scholarships, compounded by early departures yet still puts together a tournament team with string and duct tape. Established another top recruiting class to help ease the situation.
Bonus: JB gets to coach his own son for a couple/few years.
Bonus II - Hop takes over a P5 team in a conference that is in his home region and is ripe for the picking.
Just my opinion...

Hop is not coaching here.

If it gets to the point where Hop is a legit possibility to succeed JB that will mean that he will have built UW into a power in the pac 12 AND i don't see him leaving that.

And that doesn't even touch the stuff mason alluded to.

Also I am slowly accepting the fact that Gerry McNamara is going to be the next SU head coach and I need a drink.

Here’s my opinion:
NCAA comes down hard on SU, to the point where it is obvious to everyone - most especially the AD and JB - that there a going to be a couple of bumpy seasons ahead.
AD and JB both know this would be a rough stretch to throw Hop into. It would look like a step backwards. AD knows JB can weather it, he has equity in the collective fan base. Hop would be judged more harshly.
Despite promises to Hop, AD asks JB to stay on and views this as a “re-stabilizing” period. JB agrees, but doesn’t really want to set a timeline on it. AD suggests 5 years so it cannot be used as a recruiting tool against SU in the short term. JB agrees.
Hop gets offer. Recognizes an opportunity. Both sides agree that the timing is good for Hop to strike out.
JB has to Coach a couple of years with limited scholarships, compounded by early departures yet still puts together a tournament team with string and duct tape. Established another top recruiting class to help ease the situation.
Bonus II - Hop takes over a P5 team in a conference that is in his home region and is ripe for the picking.
Just my opinion...

agreed with everything except the notion of a top recruiting class. carey and buddy arent exactly setting records for recruiting class rankings. even if we get golden and some other dude, this recruitng class has been mediocre

I mean, this is pretty obvious, isn't it?

I'm not sure how many people would want to come back to work for an employer that told you for 10 years that you had a job, but then never gave you that job, but then after awhile FIRMLY said you had that job, but then when it really came down to that firm deadline, said "nah, actually you don't have the job".

I know I wouldn't.

I’m sure Hop has enough awareness to realize that a guy who is from CNY, played at SU, has coached for SU in some form or fashion since 1969, has won over 1000 games, 1 National Championship, 5 Final Fours, 33 NCAA appearances, 8 BE regular season titles, 5 BE tourney titles, and is a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame deserves to go out however he sees fit.

It’s clear Jim was forced into putting a close date on his career. He’s earned going out however he sees fit - I think Mike is a smart enough and good enough man to realize that.

Does Hop come back? Who knows? But I wish him nothing but the best. He deserves nothing short of unmitigated happiness and success. If UW or some other job makes him happiest then God Bless! And if being head coach at SU would make him happiest then I sure hope it comes to fruition. I’m sure Hop is above holding grudges against SU and Jim Boeheim - two institutions that did a heckuva a lot to help mold Mike into a head coach.

Last edited:
Hop is not coaching here.

If it gets to the point where Hop is a legit possibility to succeed JB that will mean that he will have built UW into a power in the pac 12 AND i don't see him leaving that.

And that doesn't even touch the stuff mason alluded to.

Also I am slowly accepting the fact that Gerry McNamara is going to be the next SU head coach and I need a drink.

I can guarantee that when the time comes, Syracuse will be interviewing Hop for the job. If Washington is rolling along and killin it then Hop can expect a nice pay increase when he takes over Syracuse

agreed with everything except the notion of a top recruiting class. carey and buddy arent exactly setting records for recruiting class rankings. even if we get golden and some other dude, this recruitng class has been mediocre

Up until about two weeks ago it was a top class.

I can guarantee that when the time comes, Syracuse will be interviewing Hop for the job. If Washington is rolling along and killin it then Hop can expect a nice pay increase when he takes over Syracuse

Im sure he will interview, and I am sure Syracuse will back up the truck. UW will in all likelihood back up a bigger one.

Then theres the whole building his own program thing. Awful hard to put a price tag on that.

Here’s my opinion:
Just my opinion...

ding ding ding

You are nuts..and last years class? Weak in your eyes since they weren't ranked in the top 100 at all? I think UK,Duke and all the other bluebloods would take Oshae over 95% of their freshmen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom