Mike Williams TRADED to Bills | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Williams TRADED to Bills

Agree with those saying 6th round pick isn't much to give up, definitely a good time to buy low on him.

Definitely a risk though. He's a guy who quit on Marrone before, but since Marrone was the quit-ee, I'm sure he vetted it. Getting a guy with off the field troubles and returning him to his hometown, good or bad? Who knows. Hopefully Tampa didn't turn him into a cross dresser.

It cant get any worse then this past offseason can it? Either way it only costs you a 6th round pick and a 1.8 Million Salary cap hit this year. For once a great move by the Bills
Honestly, under Whaley, this year and last, they've made some really good moves. This team is right there..

If he doesn't make the most of this second chance, he is an idiot. And as JeremyCuse pointed out, a 6th round pick is a minor risk.
I think he might be well past his 2nd chance.

Honestly, under Whaley, this year and last, they've made some really good moves. This team is right there..

I agree, I was referring William's off season issues, I think the Bills did fine this year save for Byrd but there was no way they were going to pay him that much.

Only worry is Williams is from Buffalo - could create some dynamics that you wouldn't necessarily want.

Talentwise, and needwise, this is a home-run type move. You get a 1st round talent for a 6th round pick. Give up nothing - and if he has any issues, get rid of him. Teams cut 6th rounders all the time.

No salary cap impact, either. Great deal - very low risk. And as for being around his old friends, it can't get any worse than it was in Florida.

Millhouse said:
last year's moves got them to 6-10 like they always are.

6-10 with their 7th string QB...

From an outside perspective, this doesn't make any sense. I mean you bring in a guy that the coach previously had a problem with and pretty much kicked off the team. Also, the kid has enough problems trying to stay out of trouble in tampa and now you bring him back to his old stomping grounds? I think this is a recipe for disaster.

From an outside perspective, this doesn't make any sense. I mean you bring in a guy that the coach previously had a problem with and pretty much kicked off the team. Also, the kid has enough problems trying to stay out of trouble in tampa and now you bring him back to his old stomping grounds? I think this is a recipe for disaster.

The front office and head coach aren't always 100% on the same page from a personnel standpoint.

The front office and head coach aren't always 100% on the same page from a personnel standpoint.

And that is the biggest difference between successful and unsuccessful franchises. Unsuccessful and dysfunctional teams front office and head coaches aren't always on the same page, whereas successful franchises work together and make joint decisions.

And that is the biggest difference between successful and unsuccessful franchises. Unsuccessful and dysfunctional teams front office and head coaches aren't always on the same page, whereas successful franchises work together and make joint decisions.

I'm not criticizing [also not disagreeing with you]. And I think in most cases, they do make joint decisions. But if I'm a GM, I might not ask permission from my coach on certain moves. And I also think its important to note that some coaches have extended histories with their franchises, and have "earned" the right to have more say than less experienced coaches.

I've heard negative things about Marrone's relationship with MW. Not saying that what I've heard is 100% accurate--who knows--but if it is remotely true then I'd have a difficult time seeing Doug being on board with Williams coming to his team. Whereas a GM might view it through a different lens--i.e., the ability to pick up a starting caliber player for a throw away draft pick, for all intents and purposes.

last year's moves got them to 6-10 like they always are.
tumblr_lf5h51aMmH1qazn6h.gif

"A recipe for disaster" - you couldn't be more dramatic. If he gets in trouble in July, he'll be cut the next day. There is no risk involved. The only thing they lose is a sixth round draft pick that more often than not is released during final cuts anyway.

I'm not criticizing [also not disagreeing with you]. And I think in most cases, they do make joint decisions. But if I'm a GM, I might not ask permission from my coach on certain moves. And I also think its important to note that some coaches have extended histories with their franchises, and have "earned" the right to have more say than less experienced coaches.

I've heard negative things about Marrone's relationship with MW. Not saying that what I've heard is 100% accurate--who knows--but if it is remotely true then I'd have a difficult time seeing Doug being on board with Williams coming to his team. Whereas a GM might view it through a different lens--i.e., the ability to pick up a starting caliber player for a throw away draft pick, for all intents and purposes.

I know the Bills organization has not been very well run in the recent past, but I would hope that the front office would know about Doug's past relationship with Mike Williams and that the deal would have had his stamp of approval on it. Maybe wishful thinking on my part though.

You guys forget, Marrone didn't kick Williams off the team himself. Williams quit, then came to Marrone and wanted back on. Marrone then took it to a team vote (from what I have heard, he wanted him back). The team voted NO. Williams then was gone.

Not only do I think, Marrone knew about this move, I think he was driving force behind it. Doug knows first hand the ridiculous talent Mike has. He is a major redone threat (which the Bills need terribly). I don't think their relationship is as bad as some think on here. Whaley wouldn't do that.

As others have pointed out, its so low risk. How many 6th rounders turn out? Mike is a first-round talent. Totally worth it. If Mike goes home and his mom whoops him into shape, then great the Bills have a great player. If Mike goes home and gets with his old riverside crew, and gets into trouble... then we cut him. No money owed, no real loss.

Most importantly, OBD is making moves and not afraid to kick the tires on anything. They have sniffed around DJAX, Britt, Chris Johnson. Will be very interested to see what they do in the draft. I think they go BPA. If it's Evans, great that will just mean Williams or Stevie is gone next year. If it's a tackle that fills a need. If it's Ebron, we got another playmaker. If it's a DL, then it would be great to have a play-making safety or another pass rusher. So many options for them. Really, unless they go RB, CB, LB I can't be upset. Even if they took a QB i'd be ok with it.

Now do you think Doug can get DeSean Jackson as well?

We get it, you hate Marrone. As hilarious as your avatar is, it's old.

What's great is that he's miserable either way. If they lose, he loses, and if they win he loses.

It also is a recipe for a homerun. What disaster, if Williams doesn't pull it together they can cut him loose. The Bills have all the leverage on this one. Marrone knows what kind of player he can be. Maybe coming home does him some good. It's low risk/high reward.

"A recipe for disaster" - you couldn't be more dramatic. If he gets in trouble in July, he'll be cut the next day. There is no risk involved. The only thing they lose is a sixth round draft pick that more often than not is released during final cuts anyway.

I dont like guys that cause distractions or team turmoil. Pretty apparent he has a history of both off field distractions and causing team turmoil (team didnt vote him back onto the team after DM was apparently willing to accept him back). That tells me he didnt have too many players in his corner. Dont think Im being dramatic here, but whatever floats your boat. Not the type of player I would want playing for the Packers though.

GoHamSU said:
We get it, you hate Marrone. As hilarious as your avatar is, it's old.
No opinion there just facts

TheCusian said:
6-10 with their 7th string QB...
No difference between Lewis and Manuel. Tuel killed them but that is on the brain trust too

Lots of coaches and gms win 6.