MIke Williams | Syracusefan.com

MIke Williams

LAOrange

Starter
Just curious. Mike Williams (Tampa Bay) isn't mentioned as a Syracuse alum in the SBNation piece (see above - Thurs articles). I've also noticed on two or three other occasions where he was not included. Am I missing something here?

I doubt it. But neither did Carmelo and we all claimed him. The definition of an alumnus is someone who attended a school.
It is? I thought the definition of alumnus was someone that graduated from a school?

If I take a single online course in a SU grad program does that make me an alumni? Not being sarcastic, just want to call myself an alumni. Unfortuntely, I don't think that counts.

a·lum·nus (
schwa.gif
-l
ubreve.gif
m
prime.gif
n
schwa.gif
s)
n. pl. a·lum·ni (-n
imacr.gif
lprime.gif
)
A male graduate or former student of a school, college, or university.
Note "former student." I'm just saying that even Williams is on record as saying he was fond of his time at Syracuse. It's just that college was not for him. I mean people think Donte Greene should be thrown under the bus because he "wasn't ready."

a·lum·nus (
schwa.gif
-l
ubreve.gif
m
prime.gif
n
schwa.gif
s)
n. pl. a·lum·ni (-n
imacr.gif
lprime.gif
)
Note "former student." I'm just saying that even Williams is on record as saying he was fond of his time at Syracuse. It's just that college was not for him. I mean people think Donte Greene should be thrown under the bus because he "wasn't ready."

I was going to mention this definition to AZ.

This has been a long standing dispute. Some say you must graduate to be an alum some say you don't.

I like the loose definition myself.

Maybe they decided Melo should be an alum after construction of the Melo Center...

a·lum·nus (
schwa.gif
-l
ubreve.gif
m
prime.gif
n
schwa.gif
s)
n. pl. a·lum·ni (-n
imacr.gif
lprime.gif
)
I dont know why (if you are) interpreting this as some sort of shot against Williams, Melo, Greene or whoever. I just dont think they are or should be considered alumni in the traditional sense of the word unless they graduate.

To be fair, the word "alumni" or any variation of the word, doesn't appear anywhere in that article. Here's what it says:

"Rookies Delone Carter (Indianapolis Colts) and Doug Hogue (Detroit Lions) are among 10 former Syracuse University players to earn NFL roster spots as the 2011 NFL season begins."

Now I'm pretty sure everyone on that list is an actual Alum of the school, but nowhere does it say you had to be a graduate to make the list.

only 10?! Wow, we're a long way from the coach P highline years of 25 or so ALUMNUS in the NFL.

Heck they claim Bob Costas all the time and he never finished ... he is still classified as an alum.

SU officially considers someone an alum if they attend school for 2 years.

I think the explanation in this case is that SB Nation kinda sucks. ;)

If I take a single online course in a SU grad program does that make me an alumni? Not being sarcastic, just want to call myself an alumni. Unfortuntely, I don't think that counts.

Under the loose definition, you would call yourself an alumnus (or alumna if you are female), not alumni or alumnae. You'd refer to a group of people with the latter terms.