Mike's Mailbox: Who are the greatest leapers in Syracuse basketball history? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike's Mailbox: Who are the greatest leapers in Syracuse basketball history?

If we're talking about a standing vertical without a running start, my inclination would be Wes. He just seemed like he was on a trampoline every time he jumped for a rebound.

Nobody has mentioned Robert Braswell. Wasn't he state high jump champ. Yeah we haven't seen much of him but he has to have serious hops.

Red Bruin...……………………………………..then Stevie...Hak….Sease. Red would take off from the baseline off both feet and the whole Dome would rise.
Good call! I remember an SU vs Georgetown game where Red grabbed an offensive rebound with Patrick Ewing nearby and then, from a standing position, going back up and dunking over Ewing! It was truly awesome to watch. For you younger guys, Bruin was maybe 6'4"

Was impressed Mike remembered Red.
I think Red played before Mike was in Syracuse, so he really did his homework and must have talked to those who saw him play.

Last edited:
One guy who hasn't been mentioned is Dave Bing. I didn't see him play in college, but he was quite the leaper and an outstanding rebounder in college. I mostly remember him as a scoring point guard in the second half of his NBA career.

If I remember correctly, Stevie's vertical was 44 inches.

Watch some of the Syracuse dunk videos if you think that is high.

Interesting one.
He made some good choices. A few others that come to mind that haven't been mentioned yet:

David Johnson. That guy could hang for a long, long time.
Cliff Warwell. I think he might be the best in terms of vertical ever, at least since I have been an SU fan. But he wasn't around very long.
Tony Scott. Another explosive, outstanding athlete who could just jump out of the gym. Sadly, he also didn't hang around long enough at Syracuse,
Surprised Tony Scott didn't get more mentions.

I remember Tony dueling with Clyde Drexler. They both dunked 3-4 times in a row in answer to each other and you could not tell one guy would become an NBA All-star and the other would not.

Vaughn Harper at 6-4 averaged 14.3 rebounds per game for the 1966-67 team, the first year I follow the team from beginning to end. he used to put on Globetrotter type routine before the game and later played for them.

With Hak it was partially jumping ability and partially length. I would pick him as the best jumper among the big guys, although Johnson was good, too.