Mike's Mailbox: Why not Quentin Hillsman to replace Jim Boeheim when time comes? | Syracusefan.com

Mike's Mailbox: Why not Quentin Hillsman to replace Jim Boeheim when time comes?

Believe me, he still does!
The first coach after a legend is a tough go. They usually don't really do well because the committees look at it as trying to pick a home run coach when what you need is a mature, experienced coach who can weather the emotional upheaval of the transition. A person who is looking for one good shot to cap off his career, and maybe that would work with Jones. He is a UVA/ACC guy, which is huge. After that coach you try to get a long term guy.

I recall this same topic coming up right after Hop left.

It’s common for those that don’t truly understand that the two sports, while similar, are not the same. Shame on Mike Waters for not using it as an opportunity to educate rather than actually entertaining it as a serious possibility.

Hillsman's offense is fast-paced and up and down running in transition. He presses most of game too. It's exciting basketball and the guy wins and is in tournament safely without being on the bubble. You can say that much for him.

The first coach after a legend is a tough go. They usually don't really do well because the committees look at it as trying to pick a home run coach when what you need is a mature, experienced coach who can weather the emotional upheaval of the transition. A person who is looking for one good shot to cap off his career, and maybe that would work with Jones. He is a UVA/ACC guy, which is huge. After that coach you try to get a long term guy.

Kansas and Michigan State didn't miss a beat. Honestly UCLA had good results just not Wooden results.

Heck, while we're at it, why not John Desko? Or Dino Babers?
Dino could be fun...play on turf, devito leading the fast break, szmyt with long range 3's after a rule change, Cisco as our shot-blocker, and with a few offensive linemen to lead the way. Could work...

family-feud-3-strikes.jpe

Jeff Jones as a three year stopgap to serve as chum for the message board crowd is probably the best argument tbh.

I like Mike Waters writing and I think Quentin Hillsman’s performance as women’s basketball coach has been excellent but this is a dumb article.
It’s a completely different game recruiting wise.
If the purpose of this article was to find a candidate that GMac is superior to as the next HC mission accomplished.
I say this with the premise I think Mike Waters knows Hillsman won’t be a candidate when JB retires.

Aren't a few of the rules different too?
Biggest one is 15 scholarships. The top teams lockdown the top players. That's why there is less turnover of the elite programs.

Biggest one is 15 scholarships. The top teams lockdown the top players. That's why there is less turnover of the elite programs.
Wow. I'm surprised they get that many with how little parity women's college basketball has. I suppose it's for title 9 compliance?

Aren't there some game rules that are different too, like no over and back?

Wow. I'm surprised they get that many with how little parity women's college basketball has. I suppose it's for title 9 compliance?

Aren't there some game rules that are different too, like no over and back?

Over and back is now a rule. In fact conversely, many women’s basketball rules have prompted men’s basketball changes too. The women’s game has always had a shot clock , in fact a 30 second shot clock since the early 70’s. Men didn’t even have a shot clock til 1985 and it was 45 seconds not changing to the 30 seconds women’s shot clock till 3 years ago or almost 50 years after the women. The women’s game is now 4 ten minute quarters vs 2 twenty minute halves that the men use. They also reduced media timeouts to one a quarter and foul shots after committing 5 in a quarter. The men studied but voted down going the same way. Women are also selectively experimenting this year using the international women’s 3 point line of 22 feet 1 and 3/4 inches vs the current 20 feet 9 inch line which is the same as college men’s. That’s why you no longer see multiple lines on college courts. So it may change if agreed upon after this study so the women’s 3 point line could be longer than the men’s thus more lines on the court again.

There are very few differences any more. The women’s game has been much more progressive in looking at the rules. Men’s college game has historically hated change, a reason it took so long for even using a shot clock and till just 2015 to lower it to 30 seconds, what the women had used for about 45 years. Men may look closer at using the international 3 point line and using 4 quarters again in the future if it works out well for the women. The women use the NBA model much closer than men’s college basketball.

Over and back is now a rule. In fact conversely, many women’s basketball rules have prompted men’s basketball changes too. The women’s game has always had a shot clock , in fact a 30 second shot clock since the early 70’s. Men didn’t even have a shot clock til 1985 and it was 45 seconds not changing to the 30 seconds women’s shot clock till 3 years ago or almost 50 years after the women. The women’s game is now 4 ten minute quarters vs 2 twenty minute halves that the men use. They also reduced media timeouts to one a quarter and foul shots after committing 5 in a quarter. The men studied but voted down going the same way. Women are also selectively experimenting this year using the international women’s 3 point line of 22 feet 1 and 3/4 inches vs the current 20 feet 9 inch line which is the same as college men’s. That’s why you no longer see multiple lines on college courts. So it may change if agreed upon after this study so the women’s 3 point line could be longer than the men’s thus more lines on the court again.

There are very few differences any more. The women’s game has been much more progressive in looking at the rules. Men’s college game has historically hated change , a reason it took so long for even using a shot clock and till just 2015 to lower it to 30 seconds, what the women had used for about 45 years. Men may look closer at using the international 3 point line and using 4 quarters again in the future if it works out well for the women. The women use the NBA model much closer than men’s college basketball.
I knew about the shot clock but not the rest. The three point line needs to be a change that's made for the men for sure. I like that some things are different than the NBA. I hope they stick with 2 twenty minute halves.

Wow, I hope Mike is being tongue in cheek with that response. If not, he doesn't know the first thing that even a fan would understand about the differences between mens and women's basketball. You would literally be better off hiring a big time high school coach, as at least that guy has SOME connection to the people within your sport.

The last time I looked,
the women's game is six on six
only three can cross the half-court line
they wear skirts
But then, maybe some things have changed recently. :);):oops::confused: