Minnesota / Post-season thoughts | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Minnesota / Post-season thoughts

I’d love to know this. someone will figure it out and post it, and it very likely doesn’t matter anyways in terms of outcome, but I’d love to know what he actually did.
he was getting run over 20 yds away from the play the last time he was shown on the play. after that who knows.

Some call that smart, others call that selfish. That’s the new world we live on. Every man for himself.
Kind of ironic, no? Calling a player protecting his and his family’s future selfish all so that fans can have a bit more personal entertainment the week between Christmas and new years?

Yeah, the player is being selfish lol

Just back, what a weird game.

Encouraged that we could rack up that kind of yardage offensively. But we simply don’t have any game-altering weapons aside from Gadsden. I’ll assume Shrader is still banged up because he was very slow to run, as he was for most of the back half of the season. Allen’s production was awesome, but he doesn’t have a second gear. We really need someone who can occupy a DC and get us TDs when we’re in the red zone. That’s gotta be priority #2 for next season (with #1 being to vastly improve the OL).

D did their job. Not much more to say than that. Let’s get Rocky in the fold and be good again next season.

I’ve accepted that we’ll never be the more fundamentally sound or less penalized team vs. most any opponent. That’s just an enduring characteristic of Dino’s teams. It ain’t changing.

Nice turnout of SU fans. Great to see all the orange. I’ve been to Yankee Stadium many times, and I can’t stand it. Just an ad-soaked, soulless place. Yankees fans make it an intimidating place to play, but the facility itself stinks.
It is a truly awful stadium in every sense. I’m addition to what you mentioned, it’s hard to navigate around, the food choices are surprisingly bad for a new-ish stadium, the sight lines are awful, and the open concourses (no solid wall) in the upper deck really sucks when the weather isn’t great.

Was sad but understood when they tore down the old stadium - but what they built in its place is a travesty.

Met Life is about the same IMO. Just horrible.

Yeah I want him so badly to be that jitter bug of a guy, but he just never seems to make the big play. Just doesn’t have the next level play making we need.
He's the best kick returner in the ACC so he must have some jitter bug in him.

As a WR, he has obviously had some drops but he has also had some huge catches this season.

Minnesota is another one of the blow hard teams from the B1G who their conference is elite when they're not. I think they are going to get set straight in the playoff games tomorrow.

I’ve been on the Allen bandwagon all year and when it looked like Tucker was hurting couldn’t understand him not playing more.

One thing I noticed during the year was he’s as good a WR as we have. He’s had some really fantastic catches our other WR’s (not named Gadsden) routinely drop. I forget the game but he had a catch on the left sideline, over his shoulder with a defender all over him. I seriously think he could end up passing Tucker in total yards.

Someone said yesterday they didn’t think he had that extra gear, someone else said he ran to straight up. I disagree with that.
To me he looked like he struggled with the field conditions. He had the one catch out to the left early in the game with a chance at big yards and slipped on the field. Later in the game he ran pretty straight up and kind of tentatively but still had a ~12 yard gain to the left hand side. He ran like he was trying to make sure he didn’t slip and fall IMO.

I think Beck will use him next year all over the field the Anae started the year using Tucker and then stopped for big stretches. Allen is a far better pass catcher than Tucker, I think we’ve got another special back for next year and I hope we can hold on to him.

He's the best kick returner in the ACC so he must have some jitter bug in him.

As a WR, he has obviously had some drops but he has also had some huge catches this season.
Yeah some people get selective memory about some things players do on this board. He still has a few things to work on (like every player) but he did some nice things for us as well.

I’ve been on the Allen bandwagon all year and when it looked like Tucker was hurting couldn’t understand him not playing more.

One thing I noticed during the year was he’s as good a WR as we have. He’s had some really fantastic catches our other WR’s (not named Gadsden) routinely drop. I forget the game but he had a catch on the left sideline, over his shoulder with a defender all over him. I seriously think he could end up passing Tucker in total yards.

Someone said yesterday they didn’t think he had that extra gear, someone else said he ran to straight up. I disagree with that.
To me he looked like he struggled with the field conditions. He had the one catch out to the left early in the game with a chance at big yards and slipped on the field. Later in the game he ran pretty straight up and kind of tentatively but still had a ~12 yard gain to the left hand side. He ran like he was trying to make sure he didn’t slip and fall IMO.

I think Beck will use him next year all over the field the Anae started the year using Tucker and then stopped for big stretches. Allen is a far better pass catcher than Tucker, I think we’ve got another special back for next year and I hope we can hold on to him.

agree 100% and I also don’t think he needs every carry all year like tucker. Use another RB as well. Allen will be a real asset as a receiver as well but let’s not kill the kid either between the tackles.

agree 100% and I also don’t think he needs every carry all year like tucker. Use another RB as well. Allen will be a real asset as a receiver as well but let’s not kill the kid either between the tackles.
Yeah if we can add a running back that adds a little power and size, it would be a great 1-2 kinda punch for us. Allen really showed some great hands. At his size if he gets 15 touches running and another 5 catching that would be great. Use the larger back for short yardage.

Regarding penalties I thought yesterday was great and I’m not sure what everyone is griping about. We had 6 total. When you minus the horse collar which I assume is counted in the numbers, minus the onsides off sides, or count it, but that leaves 4/5 penalties for the day. What do people want here??? Penalties happen.

The worst penalty of the day was Davis’ false start at 3rd and 4 early in the game. Becomes 3rd and 9 and we punt. But it happens. 1 on the day big deal. People are posting like we had 16 penalties yesterday.

We still have no idea what the Clark penalty was.

Regarding the PF on Clark at the end of the game, SUDadx2 added the following to this thread yesterday:

1672415008139.png

100%.

There is no reason whatsoever he should not have gotten more carriers if Tucker was so injured all year. this is one of those cases were the back up is pretty good but who would know.

Kid woulda ripped off major yards yesterday if he had better footing.

Whoever said he doesn’t have an extra gear has no idea what they’re talking about.

I find it interesting that some think its easy to be good at everything. Quarterback is one of the hardest positions to play in sports. If it was easy you wouldnt see all these 4/5 star QB's transferring non stop. NFL QB's having a great season then flopping the next. These guys have been doing throwing sessions since they were 10 years old. Training, 7v7, film study, progressions etc.. The commitment to being great is there but it doesnt mean they are going to be great each time they play. Btw defenders are doing the same thing. Getting bigger, faster, stronger and smarter. QB play looks easy from the stands.

This rattled around in my brain for a while until it came back to me. The KSU guy was flagged for doing the Mile High Salute which Terrell Davis at Denver had made a thing and it became a way to basically flip the bird to opposing fans. It was made know that performing it would draw a flag all season long. Not the same thing at all. But hey, don't let that stop you from coming up with red herrings to be anti-Syracuse about.
I'm not anti-Syracuse. When we got that flag at the end of the game, the memory of that KSU flag in the Pinstripe came up, which did help decide that game. Not saying it's relevant to anything... probably should not have posted it in this thread.

I'm not anti-Syracuse. When we got that flag at the end of the game, the memory of that KSU flag in the Pinstripe came up, which did help decide that game. Not saying it's relevant to anything... probably should not have posted it in this thread.
Sorry if I jumped on you too hard. It's just that when it comes to Syracuse sports, many fans, alumni( especially Newhouse people) seem to bend over backwards in some sort of reverse whataboutism to always down sell the sports programs. The team played with everything they had up to the very last seconds of the game. I wish they could have come out with a win for themselves, I think they deserved it more than Minnesota.

No. I strongly disagree with this. Clark plays hard and with passion sometimes it boiled over directed at the other team.
Taj directed his frustration at his teammates
And the TV camera.

No. I strongly disagree with this. Clark plays hard and with passion sometimes it boiled over directed at the other team.
Taj directed his frustration at his teammates

Agreed. He isn't a "bad" teammate like Taj.

He plays hard and shows some young player immaturity with his post-play reactions. He got flags earlier in the year, and flirted the line a handful of other times throughout the year. As he shifts into being a more experienced player and a bigger team leader, I'd expect some of that behavior to tone down.

He's an NFL prospect, so it will behoove him to eliminate beahviors that hurt the team. I'm confident that he will.

I love how they have college football playoff commercial with a soundbite where Kirby Smart is telling his players to strike with their helmet

And how about that Sonny Dykes guy? Get fired for being a scumbag and abusing your players. Few years later, get hired and you're in the playoffs!

What a country!

Bottom line; we made too many mistakes at crucial periods and the officials blew too many calls or failed to make them; examples are our receiver being tackled before the pass got to him. They screwed up the too many men on D call. Also, after seeing the first Minnesota TD call when he never crossed the line; nor the ball. This after seeing numerous replays.
We need to clean up the mental mistakes that are constantly getting us penalized.

I’m not saying the officials took the game from us but the timing of those lousy calls and non calls hurt us!

The team fights hard; we just need to learn how to close out a win when we are statistically beating our opponent!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom