Minnesota / Post-season thoughts | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Minnesota / Post-season thoughts

Good teams don’t turn the ball over in tight games and kill drives or extend them for the other team with penalties. Sometimes you have to throw a ball away, or take a sack, sacrifice yards by going down earlier with two hands securing the ball.

We moved the ball better. We defended better. But our special teams were worse and we shot ourselves in the foot.

It’s frustrating to watch. But I feel much more at ease about our talent level going into ‘23.
people probably think it's sour grapes because he had a much better year than I thought he would.

but he eats the ball so much instead of throwing it and it makes his passing efficiency look better while hurting the team.

Shrader had good stats tonight but didnt have a great performance imo.

Pick aside, he just didn’t play smart situational football today and it cost us. A factor there is not having Bergeron. I actually think there’s little fall off in RB blocking with Allen.

Allen’s going to leave a more profound legacy than Tucker if he stays 3 years here. That is my bet.

I hope Lamson and CDRW push Shrader this offseason. He’s gotta become the best version of what he is. Anything less isn’t going to get us where we need to be.
Gotta get better play from the oline though. I think some people are conflating all of the offense issues under GS. Obviously hope that GS and team leader continues to enhance his game. I expect with Beck he will. Separately the oline continues to have issues that need to be resolved and that are partially causing some of the QB issues. Really hoping our new Center transfer and other oline transfers will help UPGRADE the run and passing game. Our new Center transfer may be the single most important addition to our team for next year.

Gotta get better play from the oline though. I think some people are conflating all of the offense issues under GS. Obviously hope that GS and team leader continues to enhance his game. I expect with Beck he will. Separately the oline continues to have issues that need to be resolved and that are partially causing some of the QB issues. Really hoping our new Center transfer and other oline transfers will help UPGRADE the run and passing game. Our new Center transfer may be the single most important addition to our team for next year.
Yep. When you combine a leaky OL with wideouts who can’t run past anyone, it’s a excellent recipe to make the QB look bad

Your last sentence is 100% dead on

people probably think it's sour grapes because he had a much better year than I thought he would.

but he eats the ball so much instead of throwing it and it makes his passing efficiency look better while hurting the team.
He’s talented, but the hesitancy probably hurts us in spots. It also probably saves some bad turnovers and incompletions. He looked much more decisive early in the season.

I do feel like there’s a little bit of hero ball in there sometimes too.

He’ll be our QB next year. And he can get it done. We’ll have an effective offense with him. Our ceiling is higher next year than it ended this year.

I hope Lamson and CDRW push Shrader this offseason. He’s gotta become the best version of what he is. Anything less isn’t going to get us where we need to be.
Agreed. Shrader needs to be a massive threat to run to overcome his below average passing skills. He wasn’t that kind of threat much of the year, likely due to injury. He’s gotta get better this off-season. SU simply can’t win without their QB playing great. I hope the competition for the position is fierce between now and September.

Agreed. Shrader needs to be a massive threat to run to overcome his below average passing skills. He wasn’t that kind of threat much of the year, likely due to injury. He’s gotta get better this off-season. SU simply can’t win without their QB playing great. I hope the competition for the position is fierce between now and September.
Yep if, and unless Shrader shows more of a take charge leadership role effectively saying this is my team, demonstrating greater on and off the field leadership, if I’m the coach the position is wide-open going into next season.

As much as I like him, and have rooted hard on here defending him, etc., I want to see more from the him at the most important position for team Success, because that’s the only way a team with the challenges this program faces can take it to the next level.

Jack Stonehouse might be the #2 addition.
Either that or Max needs to get his mojo back.

I get that but on 3rd and 15 , throw the ball dude
Agree with this. He’s far from alone in this sin - I see it every Sunday in the NFL - but that doesn’t make it right.

Saw ( EFC ) have his best game of the year today 3 solo tackles and 1 assist our D'Line will very strong next year. C. Baily looks like he could be a solid LB. and what can you say about Allen this cat has a ton of skills as a runner and receiver. I really hope we can get our punting game fixed it really cost us to give our opponents great field position.

Yep if, and unless Shrader shows more of a take charge leadership role effectively saying this is my team, demonstrating greater on and off the field leadership, if I’m the coach the position is wide-open going into next season.

As much as I like him, and have rooted hard on here defending him, etc., I want to see more from the him at the most important position for team Success, because that’s the only way a team with the challenges this program faces can take it to the next level.
Very good points. I'll take it one step further. The staff should never be satisfied with the existing talent in the QB room.

I've said it many times, the staff needs to aggressively look to add one QB every cycle with the potential to come in and compete for QB1 or QB2. I fully understand how difficult and, unfortunately, unlikely getting that type of talent will be. But, this should, and needs to be, the driving philosophy. Add talent to the room. Let the players compete. Play the best. The numbers will take care of themselves.

Cusefan69 said:
Huh? That DB caught that chest high on the run and GS absolutely let it fly to Gadsden post snap. Also the DB caught the ball moving. GS on a sloppy field started from a full stop to chase him. I mean yeah would have been nice to have gotten the guy but it wasn't exactly a dry flat track he was running on to chase the guy . Listen again fair criticism is one thing. some fans get emotionally butt hurt and blame everything on the guy. The same guy who led us to 6 and 0 and was a crappy no call and twisted ankle from beating Clemson at Clemson. Sometimes people want perfection and you’re not going to get that in college football. Especially from a guy playing behind a limited offensive line.
We saw a different game then. He hesitated to throw it and it was under thrown. We can agree to disagree.
HRE Otto IV: Then you must have looked away from your TV.

Schrader took the snap and threw immediately towards Gadsen. The DB had anticipated the play, read Shrader's eyes, took a chance and intercepted the ball at full speed, undercut the throw which Shrader had chest high going to Gasden III. Shrader had no chance at tackling the DB considering he was behind the DB and slipped due to field conditions.

I wouldn't count on the latter. At all.

All my faith in the new guy.
Yeah, Max is in a hole right now but I still think he could rebound. I hope he can.

Their players mean more to them, as it should be. I mean their starting QB got knocked out of the game. Why risk that for your NFL guy?

Again, by that standard - Minnesota's season was over months ago, after they lost their 2nd game. Why risk it all the games after that? At what point do the games "not mean anything"?

LaQuint Allen...bravo young man...good runner with vision and can catch the ball out of the backfield.
Shrader...looked like he did LAST season..throwing the ball like a baseball and staring down receivers.
I'm not saying the ball took forever to reach a receiver on a sideline route...but a couple looked like they wanted to give the fair catch signal. We MIGHT look like Clemson next season where the incumbent has a lower ceiling than the #2 QB.

Did you notice SOMEBODY REALLY TINKERED with the front of our defense...4 down lineman...3 down with Darton standing just off the LOS?
Rocky...was that you?

We ran a 4-2-5 most of the day. This was the type of wrinkle I was wondering about.

That’s what you do when your linebacking corp is severely depleted.

- Thompson, injured
- Jones, injured but might have played if he wasn’t entering the big boy draft.
- McDonald, injured.
- Sparrow, injured.
- Roon, injured.

I only saw Wax, Lowery and Bailey play today.

Wax has been injured most of the year (remember he went down at Clemson?), but has been able to battle thru it enough to play.

Not only did the absence of 5 of our top 7 linebackers leave us short on quality experienced linebackers, but I think it hurt our special teams.

Adapt or perish. Monroe (and Long) did a heck of a job holding Minnesota to 215 yards.

Shrader’s ability to break off long runs was hindered by the fact that the Minny D had spy on him the entire game,

We ran a 4-2-5 most of the day. This was the type of wrinkle I was wondering about.

That’s what you do when your linebacking corp is severely depleted.

- Thompson, injured
- Jones, injured but might have played if he wasn’t entering the big boy draft.
- McDonald, injured.
- Sparrow, injured.
- Roon, injured.

I only saw Wax, Lowery and Bailey play today.

Wax has been injured most of the year (remember he went down at Clemson?), but has been able to battle thru it enough to play.

Not only did the absence of 5 of our top 7 linebackers leave us short on quality experienced linebackers, but I think it hurt our special teams.

Adapt or perish. Monroe (and Long) did a heck of a job holding Minnesota to 215 yards.
Imagine what we can look like with the proverbial cupboards stocked up again. Today made me feel really good about our D for next year. Especially with the added pieces via transfer and freshman class.
Hopefully we see our offense improve further and it can be a pretty good year Next year.

Shrader’s ability to break off long runs was hindered by the fact that the Minny D had spy on him the entire game,
Makes sense. I’m guessing our lack of credible receivers enabled UM to do that.

Makes sense. I’m guessing our lack of credible receivers enabled UM to do that.
Yep and that gameplan especially made sense with Tucker out also. Which also might explain the adjustment Beck made were in the 2nd half there were a few plays were GS ran up a few steps and then when the LBs bit, he stopped and did a quick throw. A few worked well. He missed on one also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom