Miracle please | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Miracle please

We will be worse next year unless we land a stud transfer.
Joe and Buddy are not going to miraculously become more athletic. The raw talent isnt there. Their skill is shooting. Natural shooters typically dont get much better as they have always been really good shooters. Its usually the physically gifted who might lack a good stroke who make the biggest jump as their game catches up with their natural athleticism. Guerrier Edwards Bras if healthy should all improve. I have no clue what the RS can do. Carey if he comes back adds a great amount of talent, same with Goodine. I actually thought we might see Carey and Goodine play significant roles this year. The Kadary kid is a scorer so that will help. Still we have a collection of nice players but we dont have that one go to guy and its going to be a huge challenge next year.

Don't disagree for the most part except on Joe. I think he's going to be a good one and will improve. Not drastically but he'll be better. Buddy is what he is I think to a large degree. edwards and guerrier -- if they're improved -- will really help out. Don't rule out Dolezaj improving a bit (not a lot, but a little) as well. Love Hughes and think we'll be in more rock fights without him, but I do think the defense and rebounding will be much improved, for whatever that's worth.

Don't disagree for the most part except on Joe. I think he's going to be a good one and will improve. Not drastically but he'll be better. Buddy is what he is I think to a large degree. edwards and guerrier -- if they're improved -- will really help out. Don't rule out Dolezaj improving a bit (not a lot, but a little) as well. Love Hughes and think we'll be in more rock fights without him, but I do think the defense and rebounding will be much improved, for whatever that's worth.
We dont have anyone on the team who is even close to Hughes in talent. He is so much better than our other players. We dont have anybody who can replace him.

We dont have anyone on the team who is even close to Hughes in talent. He is so much better than our other players. We dont have anybody who can replace him.
that's not something I'm going to argue with. But would you suggest he's even decent defensively or on the glass? I'd argue he's occasionally a solid rebounder and can make highlight reel plays defensively, but he's inconsistent on both counts ... at best. Not a knock -- he's been absolutely integral in whatever success we've had and, as you point out, will be nearly impossible to replace offensively. the way he's transitioned from a 3-point shooter to an all-around offensive threat is really impressive. His handle has been a huge asset after being a bit of a liability last year. But on the defensive end I think he's been average at best.

that's not something I'm going to argue with. But would you suggest he's even decent defensively or on the glass? I'd argue he's occasionally a solid rebounder and can make highlight reel plays defensively, but he's inconsistent on both counts ... at best. Not a knock -- he's been absolutely integral in whatever success we've had and, as you point out, will be nearly impossible to replace offensively. the way he's transitioned from a 3-point shooter to an all-around offensive threat is really impressive. His handle has been a huge asset after being a bit of a liability last year. But on the defensive end I think he's been average at best.
Who among our starters would you say is an above average defender? Pointing to Elijah being an average defender as some silver lining for next year seems like a strange hill to die on.

Who among our starters would you say is an above average defender? Pointing to Elijah being an average defender as some silver lining for next year seems like a strange hill to die on.
Guerrier for Hughes could be an upgrade defensively and is a massive upgrade on the glass. Doesn’t make us better per se due to the offensive questions it creates but I don’t think there’s any question he’ll be better in both facets.

Guerrier for Hughes could be an upgrade defensively and is a massive upgrade on the glass. Doesn’t make us better per se due to the offensive questions it creates but I don’t think there’s any question he’ll be better in both facets.
The biggest defensive liabilities are up top and on the middle. I think you’re on an island with this one buddy.

I don't get how anyone could say we would be worse next year if Eli left after watching last night. Marek and Buddy aren't always going to play that bad. Sometimes I really question peoples supposedly expert basketball opinion. Most teams in the conference are going to lose players and we may only lose one.

I'm with you on feeling like we're light on athleticism and have some questions for next year. I also think Hughes has been outstanding this year offensively. He's going to be really tough to replace.

But a few factors could potentially change the equation. I mean, Hughes is at best an intermittently interested defensive player and rebounder -- he's been instrumental in general this year but uneven defensively and often minimally effective on the glass.

An improved Guerrier and Edwards could help inside and a healthy braswell would help (if that's a possibility). JBA and Newton aren't likely to do much, IMO, but I guess there's a chance.

Girard should be better and bit more consistent as a shooter and it would seem Goodine has some potential. Not sure I expect a ton out of richmond but I guess we'll see.

At the end of the day I would imagine it would look more like last season or 18-19 but that could allow us to be solid and get into the tourney. Hard to say for sure.
I agree with you. Hughes is a very good offensive player and the sum of next year's parts could replace his loss. What I am most interested in - and a tad confused about - is everyone talking about next year with Goodine and Richmond - Buddy is going to play 35-40 minutes a night. Even when he isn't playing well. Girard is going to play 30 a night. Unless JB goes back to a the 3 guard split someone is not getting a lot of burn, and I know most don't agree with me but...he wasn't cutting his son's time when we used Dion, Trice and Scoop. There are not going to be a lot of minutes for new players unless JB changes his stripes. Marek, Buddy, Girard and QG are going to eat up most of the minutes.

I agree with you. Hughes is a very good offensive player and the sum of next year's parts could replace his loss. What I am most interested in - and a tad confused about - is everyone talking about next year with Goodine and Richmond - Buddy is going to play 35-40 minutes a night. Even when he isn't playing well. Girard is going to play 30 a night. Unless JB goes back to a the 3 guard split someone is not getting a lot of burn, and I know most don't agree with me but...he wasn't cutting his son's time when we used Dion, Trice and Scoop. There are not going to be a lot of minutes for new players unless JB changes his stripes. Marek, Buddy, Girard and QG are going to eat up most of the minutes.

I think if anyone plays more it is Goodine and Buddy moves to the back line. Guerrier and Marek will also play a lot. Stiill need to solidify the 5 though.

We will be worse next year unless we land a stud transfer.
Joe and Buddy are not going to miraculously become more athletic. The raw talent isnt there. Their skill is shooting. Natural shooters typically dont get much better as they have always been really good shooters. Its usually the physically gifted who might lack a good stroke who make the biggest jump as their game catches up with their natural athleticism. Guerrier Edwards Bras if healthy should all improve. I have no clue what the RS can do. Carey if he comes back adds a great amount of talent, same with Goodine. I actually thought we might see Carey and Goodine play significant roles this year. The Kadary kid is a scorer so that will help. Still we have a collection of nice players but we dont have that one go to guy and its going to be a huge challenge next year.
Buddy and Joe will be the best shooting backcourt in the ACC next year. Sure we give up more on D but when we had Tyus/Frank we were better on D but couldn’t shoot (Frank wasn’t bad his last year).

They won’t get more athletic but the instincts will develop. I’ve noticed both of them getting better at reading the next pass. Joe has also greatly improved his rebounding. If they can even become “average” at the top of the zone we will win a lot of games next year

I honestly think JB was gonna sit Buddy some last night. But once Hughes got hurt I think he realized we needed Buddy in there the rest of the way

I don't get how anyone could say we would be worse next year if Eli left after watching last night. Marek and Buddy aren't always going to play that bad. Sometimes I really question peoples supposedly expert basketball opinion. Most teams in the conference are going to lose players and we may only lose one.
Better as in top-3 ACC and top-25 next season? Or a slightly better bubble team?

As for people leaving, I'm putting the O/U at 2 ... and 4 is a possibility.

Better as in top-3 ACC and top-25 next season? Or a slightly better bubble team?

As for people leaving, I'm putting the O/U at 2 ... and 4 is a possibility.

I could see us being top 25. I see Hughes/Carey/maybe Braswell.

Not sure the conference is a whole lot better next year and some of the better teams lose a lot.

I could see us being top 25. I see Hughes/Carey/maybe Braswell.

Not sure the conference is a whole lot better next year and some of the better teams lose a lot.
That's who I have, plus another guard. Braswell is a wild card.

maybe you didn't hear the news about Dior Johnson? And just to let you know in advance, Westry will commit later this month.
My guess is Johnson never steps on campus. I think the NBA will start letting players come out of high school and he jumps. Plus, two years is a long time - he may decide to go to a different school even if he plays college ball.

My guess is Johnson never steps on campus. I think the NBA will start letting players come out of high school and he jumps. Plus, two years is a long time - he may decide to go to a different school even if he plays college ball.
He is recruiting for us. The NBA may or may not change their rules. I think if they do, it will be after a new cba. That is after the 2023 season

NBA thing isn’t happening until at least 2023. Was just reported last week.

He is recruiting for us. The NBA may or may not change their rules. I think if they do, it will be after a new cba. That is after the 2023 season
A bunch of bags could be thrown at him and he’d take his entire posse with him to UK/Duke. It would be so Syracuse if that were to happen... but would it really be surprising?

I don't get how anyone could say we would be worse next year if Eli left after watching last night. Marek and Buddy aren't always going to play that bad.
They will if they draw the other team's top defenders.

A bunch of bags could be thrown at him and he’d take his entire posse with him to UK/Duke. It would be so Syracuse if that were to happen... but would it really be surprising?
I don't see that happening. Our risk is the NBA changing their one and done rule. But the fact is, for now, he just said yes to Syracuse. Westry will do the same in a couple of weeks. That is where our recruiting is right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom