Missouri A.D. Mike Alden On Expansion: “There’s More Coming. It’s Not Over” | Syracusefan.com

Missouri A.D. Mike Alden On Expansion: “There’s More Coming. It’s Not Over”

It's not the first time Alden has talked about these 60-70 schools. Wisconsin's Alvarez and Nick Saban have mentioned this number range as well.

Forgetting who winds up where we have currently:

ACC - 14
BiG - 14
SEC - 14
Pac - 12
B12 - 10
and ND

That is a total of 65 there. On the outside looking in at the moment UConn, Cincy, Boise, and BYU but Boise's academics are an issue and BYU is so unlike the others that I think Alden doesn't see them making the final cut either.

I also think Alden doesn't see all of the ACC's 14 and all of the Big 12's 10 making the final cut either which is why a lower number than 65 is being tossed around.

This isn't over by a long shot and if Delany and Slive have their way, the only privates left standing in the 60-70 range will be ND, USC, Stanford, Northwestern, Vandy, and maybe Miami and Duke. I don't believe Delany or Slive believe any of the remaining privates bring enough to the table.

It could be a bumpy ride going forward.

Cheers,
Neil

Interesting is that site seems to think the ACC will most likely collapse and thinks that GT and UVa are most likely going to the B1G as the next move. We better hope that doesn't happen.

4x16.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This isn't over by a long shot and if Delany and Slive have their way, the only privates left standing in the 60-70 range will be ND, USC, Stanford, Northwestern, Vandy, and maybe Miami and Duke. I don't believe Delany or Slive believe any of the remaining privates bring enough to the table.
Well then, to put it mildly, they are stupid asshats, and we must shove ourselves down their throats until we reach their brains - somewhere down in their nether regions. By any means necessary.

I'm a huge college sports fan...but the day that Syracuse is out of the mix is the day I switch over and just follow the NFL, NBA, and NHL. There's too many other things to spend my time on when I don't feel any attachment to the participating schools. I think a lot of fans feel that way, and a lot of casual fans are getting turned off as college sports professionalize with conference musical chairs.

I suspect that 15-20 years from now as college ratings are tanking they'll figure out that going for the easy money now- like boxing did by going to PPV - is a fantastic way to marginalize your sport and cripple your marketability.

This thread has motivated me to start preparing for the future - I'm going to watch more Knicks and Giants games from now on.

It will be 5x 16, there are too many schools left out at 64, and way too many senators whose states would be left out. The one thing in the new alignment is they can't afford congress to get involved, and less then 80 will get presidents from colleges called to congress for answers before committee's. The Big 10, SEC, Pac 12, ACC, and Big 12 don't even want to provide answers, especially with title IX.

It will be 5x 16, there are too many schools left out at 64, and way too many senators whose states would be left out. The one thing in the new alignment is they can't afford congress to get involved, and less then 80 will get presidents from colleges called to congress for answers before committee's. The Big 10, SEC, Pac 12, ACC, and Big 12 don't even want to provide answers, especially with title IX.
The issue to me is the jockying for position with each of the "chosen" 5 trying to pick off the best Schools to strengthen their Conference ranking for tv contracts.

we also put his program on the "We need a new coach" list with their loss to us and cost them a bowl game:)

that's what i was thinking, that there are far too many reputable schools, with far too much to offer to be left out if it were to be 4x16. If it were to go to 4 x 16 am i understanding it correctly that those 64 schools will be the only ones able to play in the bcs playoff? so basically they would be division 1, then syracuse, and others who don't get into the big 4 would be their own separate division?

i just can't see schools that have won titles, have large television markets, bring heavily populated areas of the country, great academics, and huge followings totally left out. Schools like Syracuse, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boise St, Cincinatti, Uconn, BC, NC ST, South Florida, Florida St, BYU, would form a solid conference in their own right. With a collection of teams close to that, and the increase of popularity of college football, I don't see how a 5th conference wouldn't be able to obtain a television contract, and earn close to the same amount of money as the other 4.

Also, the Big 12 wouldn't have any interest into getting into the NY market?

The absolute LAST thing I would worry about is this Congress getting involved with anything.

I used to think the NYS Assembly was the worst governing body, but Cuomo actually has them looking good, especially in comparison to Congress now.

Cheers,
Neil

You may be right that 64 is too low, but 80 is far too many with the way these guys are thinking.

Cheers,
Neil

The Monster Bug Wars continue. This will be between the ACC and the Big 12 to see who survives. We've just experienced being on the wrong end of this. The ACC should raid the Big 12 because the cofnerence that strikes first will likely be the winner.

"I think it’s a good thing overall for college athletics, because I do think it allows those 60 to 70 schools that really see themselves as like institutions that not only compete against themselves athletically but almost see themselves academically aligned in a lot of different ways — I think it finally puts those institutions in an arena where everybody, for the most part, has always known they’ve been."

Like WVU and U of Texas?

that's what i was thinking, that there are far too many reputable schools, with far too much to offer to be left out if it were to be 4x16. If it were to go to 4 x 16 am i understanding it correctly that those 64 schools will be the only ones able to play in the bcs playoff? so basically they would be division 1, then syracuse, and others who don't get into the big 4 would be their own separate division?

i just can't see schools that have won titles, have large television markets, bring heavily populated areas of the country, great academics, and huge followings totally left out. Schools like Syracuse, Miami, Virginia Tech, Boise St, Cincinatti, Uconn, BC, NC ST, South Florida, Florida St, BYU, would form a solid conference in their own right. With a collection of teams close to that, and the increase of popularity of college football, I don't see how a 5th conference wouldn't be able to obtain a television contract, and earn close to the same amount of money as the other 4.

Also, the Big 12 wouldn't have any interest into getting into the NY market?

Who said su wouldn't be in if it went 4x16?

Who said su wouldn't be in if it went 4x16?

i was going off the article linked in this thread . said we better hope the acc stays in tact or we could be left out.

There are over 100 ADs and they are not rocket scientists. This guy really did not say much of any value at all. He is just talking his position.

Interesting is that site seems to think the ACC will most likely collapse and thinks that GT and UVa are most likely going to the B1G as the next move. We better hope that doesn't happen.

That would be beyond stupid for the B1G. The B1G screwed up when it made PSU an island and then had to add UMD and RU to fix that (because PSU was seriously considering jumping to the ACC). The B1G thought that they could add RU and UMD, which would appease PSU and it would give them a chance of developing a strong following in NYC and DC/Balt. However, the B1G's UMD and RU gamble isn't paying off . They are having a world of trouble with getting carriage. The B1G will not repeat their mistakes. They will pick an established power with a history of playing B1G schools. That leaves ND, SU, Pitt, UVA, VTech, Kansas, and Mizzou. Kansas isn't a great pick, and they can't leave the Big 12, Mizzou is in the SEC, ND won't join, VTech doesn't bring a lot outside of Frank Beamer whose days are limited, and so UVA, SU, and Pitt are the only viable options.

Given that AAU means so much to the B1G that Wisconsin (and other B1G schools) voted to kick Nebraska out of the AAU, I really don't see SU's AAU membership, or lack thereof, holding us back. Arguably we have the best football out of that group, we undeniably have the best basketball out of that group, and arguably we have the best lax out of that group. We also have excellent academics that are tied with Pitt and not too far behind UVA. We also make as much as (if not more than UVA) once TV deals are taken into account, and we make MUCH more than Pitt. Finally, we have a very strong presence in NYC and a decent following in DC, and some following in Philly and Balt, which would help the B1G get some gain on their UMD and RU investment.

Honestly, if the B1G expands, I wouldn't be suprised if they asked UVA and SU. I also woudn't be suprised if the SEC tried to add Texas and Oklahoma. That would bring in a TON of money, and, if the SEC network does well, then Texas and OU might jump.

The ACC would then respond by adding UCONN and WVU and the Pac-12 would add OSU and one of BYU, BSU, and Texas Tech.

The remaining Big 12 would add the western half of the BIG EAST (Houston, UC, air force, SMU, SDSU, BYU, and BSU, assuming that BYU and BSU don't go to the Pac-12).

Ultimately, the SEC will be a super super power, the B1G will be a super power, the Pac-12 and the ACC will be powers, and the Big XII will be an improved "best of the rest."

It won't. Neither is a fit in the BiG. Neither will thrive there. All they need to do is remember three letters: PSU. There is a lesson to be learned there. The grass isn't always greener. No, I think the ACC expands by one and ND is all in in three years. The ACC will be locked and loaded.

I would not be surprised if ND brings along PSU when they eventually join. ND has indicated that when the playoffs reach 8 teams, they will commit, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Even if the worst happens and, say, half of the ACC is raided and Syracuse is left out, I still think the worst case scenario would be a football conference which would be on past with the old big East, which had a bcs Berth. There are too many legit football programs or there. There will be an ACC. Worst case scenario it is the weakest major conference but it WILL be a major conference.

No. Delany and Slive obviously carry import but will not determine the outcome to the level suggested above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom