Mke Francesa's last show | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mke Francesa's last show

IMO,
Most callers deserve it 'cause they're awful and he's not a bad interviewer.
The last part is definitely valid. Whenever he recaps his picks he does the "what if" with all the narrow losses but never when it goes his way. But taking himself sooo seriously is also unintentionally hilarious and has helped made him popular with the younger crowd.

I do also appreciate a guy who knows his sports history. Since I don't get paid for it yet somehow have forgotten more than most clowns on the radio.

Couple thoughts. Those same callers are often the ones that genuflect at his knee. Funny enough but Mad Dog has a much better recollection of sports history than Francesa plus he's a far better interviewer because he gets the question off in half the time while also letting the guest answer the question. Francesa is certainly a divisive character cuz I know a whole lot of people that can't stand they guy but he certainly has his fans. too.

Believe it or not Kaiser there are alternatives besides WFAN.
All of which, wouldn’t be available without Mike Fransesa having done what be did.

Most are pretty bad too.

All of which, wouldn’t be available without Mike Fransesa having done what be did.

Most are pretty bad too.

I can grant that Francesa was one of the pioneers tho I think if it wasn't him it would have been someone else. On satellite at drive time you can listen to Mad Dog, Cowherd, Mark Packer on college sports and whatever ESPN is offering (Bomani Jones, if you want to shoot yourself). But the good thing is you don't have to listen to 15 minutes of commercials every hour along with goofy 20/20 updates that are just segues to more commercials.

I can grant that Francesa was one of the pioneers tho I think if it wasn't him it would have been someone else. On satellite at drive time you can listen to Mad Dog, Cowherd, Mark Packer on college sports and whatever ESPN is offering (Bomani Jones, if you want to shoot yourself). But the good thing is you don't have to listen to 15 minutes of commercials every hour along with goofy 20/20 updates that are just segues to more commercials.
I like my talk 95% NYC based, don’t like the national stuff. I do listen to the Dog and NFL Radio when I’m up in the Adirondacks.

Mike was just different,it was a listener driven show and he was the director.

Life moves on, but damn...

I tried listening to Carlin and Bart Scott on the way home today, Good Lord its a trainwreck, Please come back Mike.

In 30 years on Afternoon Drive, Da Pope, never once gave the phone # to call in on.

I bet it’s already been given today...

Look who came out of hiding and is trying to get back in the headlines. Also, the tape of the post 9/11 show was released and some of it was on the 30 for 30 so no friggin clue what Carton is talking about. They (Mike and Dog) never said what is being claimed they said. They walked up to the line but they never crossed it or said what some think they said. Hell its probably on YOUTUBE If you search for it.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/18/craig-carton-they-had-mike-francesas-9-11-tapes-destroyed/

I tried listening to Carlin and Bart Scott on the way home today, Good Lord its a trainwreck, Please come back Mike.
I've never liked Chris Carlin but I listened today for about five minutes. It had to be the worst five minutes of any show anywhere. Granted it was their first day working together but for them to salvage any type of ratings, they really need to grasp their audience. WFAN will only stand for so much loss of ad revenue. I really don't I will listen again, except when their third partner joins the booth to see if they can overcome the expected awkwardness.

I tuned into the Fan the last couple of days on my drive home because Sleeping Beauty is gone and TMKS is on vacation (and their replacement show was horrible). Wow, that's a bad show. Is that the replacement on the FAN? I had to turn it off after a couple of minutes. Their ratings are going to plummet. I like Evan and Steve S., but that's really it on the station. BTW, I prefer a LaGreca rant any day of the week!

I tuned into the Fan the last couple of days on my drive home because Sleeping Beauty is gone and TMKS is on vacation (and their replacement show was horrible). Wow, that's a bad show. Is that the replacement on the FAN? I had to turn it off after a couple of minutes. Their ratings are going to plummet. I like Evan and Steve S., but that's really it on the station. BTW, I prefer a LaGreca rant any day of the week!

That is the full time replacement for Mike, Wfan hire ups have to be on some serious drugs, this is the best they could come up with?

That is the full time replacement for Mike, Wfan hire ups have to be on some serious drugs, this is the best they could come up with?
I listened to a few minutes today with the three hosts. A caller called up about Davis Webb and wanting him to play. Bart Scott blamed it on all the Giants fans on going all insane for Eli as the reason why he has not played. The last thing that show needs is to blast the loyal Giants fans on anything and blame one of the top five most popular Giants in the last forty years (Eli, Strahan, Simms, LT, Carson). If they do the same with Thurman Munson, Don Mattingly and/or Derek Jeter, they might as well close up shop now.

I understand good radio involves controversy but if their goal is to retain the existing afternoon drive time listeners then probably they need to endear themselves to the ones who liked Mike the best and that would be Giants and Yankee fans.

I listened to a few minutes today with the three hosts. A caller called up about Davis Webb and wanting him to play. Bart Scott blamed it on all the Giants fans on going all insane for Eli as the reason why he has not played. The last thing that show needs is to blast the loyal Giants fans on anything and blame one of the top five most popular Giants in the last forty years (Eli, Strahan, Simms, LT, Carson). If they do the same with Thurman Munson, Don Mattingly and/or Derek Jeter, they might as well close up shop now.

I understand good radio involves controversy but if their goal is to retain the existing afternoon drive time listeners then probably they need to endear themselves to the ones who liked Mike the best and that would be Giants and Yankee fans.

I listened to it on the way home today, I don't know how anyone worth their salt wouldn't open with the passing of Dick Enberg, just unfathomable imo.

I listened to it on the way home today, I don't know how anyone worth their salt wouldn't open with the passing of Dick Enberg, just unfathomable imo.
I did hear Carlin talk about Enberg but I don't know what part of the show it was. The female host (name escapes me right now) said her favorite Enberg moment was him calling tennis. That's great and I guess that Enberg did cover a lot of tennis in his career, but most of the WFAN listeners are going to know him from football, then probably basketball, then probably baseball and maybe some game shows (like Sports Challenge). If they want to talk tennis, that's fine but I'm not sure that's going to engage the listeners.

I did hear Carlin talk about Enberg but I don't know what part of the show it was. The female host (name escapes me right now) said her favorite Enberg moment was him calling tennis. That's great and I guess that Enberg did cover a lot of tennis in his career, but most of the WFAN listeners are going to know him from football, then probably basketball, then probably baseball and maybe some game shows (like Sports Challenge). If they want to talk tennis, that's fine but I'm not sure that's going to engage the listeners.

Thats fine, but you have to open with that, Mike would have, we are talking about an icon in the field that you are working in, that is much bigger news than the Giants and Jets playing out the string in meaningless games.

I listened for a few minutes this week online to the "new" show and the show doesn't have a NYC feel to it. It sounds like every other cookie cutter national sports radio show you can hear on Fox Sports Radio/CBS Sports Radio...etc. I gave them a chance and am done. I have Sirius XM anyway and will just listen to Mad Dog exclusively now. Even though he has a national show it still has a very strong NY flavor to it overall and he has pretty much the same guests Mike had on that were good

We have no use for a Ravens LB here.

Especially 1 who doesn’t even know why we all got mad over the Eli benching.

I agree with everything you said,

And like someone else said, it sounds like every other cookie cutter show out there...and that’s horrible.

But the disciples of Mushnick here will all love it as there is no yelling at dumbass callers and no real rants, just fake ones like lagreca trying to get heard.

Joe & Evan from 10-2 then I’ll just go back to Zeppelin bootlegs...

I listened for a few minutes this week online to the "new" show and the show doesn't have a NYC feel to it. It sounds like every other cookie cutter national sports radio show you can hear on Fox Sports Radio/CBS Sports Radio...etc. I gave them a chance and am done. I have Sirius XM anyway and will just listen to Mad Dog exclusively now. Even though he has a national show it still has a very strong NY flavor to it overall and he has pretty much the same guests Mike had on that were good

I never thought about getting Sirius, now that Mike is gone, and with the direction Wfan is going in, I am going to do it.

I never thought about getting Sirius, now that Mike is gone, and with the direction Wfan is going in, I am going to do it.
NFL Radio is always my checkdown channel when Mike went to commercials.

I think I’ll keep it in the 2 slot and move Dog from 3 to 1.

Satellite it will be for talk after Evan & Joe.

You will like it. Adam Schein is on Sirius too and he does some Syracuse talk when it is warranted mid-days on MAD DOG's station and he always has Boehiem on

You will like it. Adam Schein is on Sirius too and he does some Syracuse talk when it is warranted mid-days on MAD DOG's station and he always has Boehiem on

Prime Time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom