MLB Postseason thread | Syracusefan.com

MLB Postseason thread

bpo57

Living Legend
Last night was the 40th time that the Cubbies scored one run or less this season. Tied with Baltimore who also did that 40 times.

Yankees losing tonight. Oakland's bullpen is filth. Severino is going to get shelled again like last year. These aren't the Twins.

great demonstration last night of the difference between managing in the NL vs the AL. Early removal of dominant pitchers, Cubs subbing out Rizzo. Lots of stuff going on that the AL doesn't have. Not sure which I like more.

great demonstration last night of the difference between managing in the NL vs the AL. Early removal of dominant pitchers, Cubs subbing out Rizzo. Lots of stuff going on that the AL doesn't have. Not sure which I like more.
That game was so different from AL baseball.
Lester is cruising at 81 pitches after 6 and because he is down 1-0 he gets taken out for a pinch hitter.
No chance in the American League that happens.
It’s a completely different game.
NL needs the DH.

Yankees power is going give Oakland trouble but starting Severino is just stupid.
If Happ starts New York wins easily.
This will be an offensive game.

Lester is cruising at 81 pitches after 6 and because he is down 1-0 he gets taken out for a pinch hitter.
NL needs the DH.

Yankees power is going give Oakland trouble but starting Severino is just stupid.
I can't believe they aren't starting happ. Were they sleeping through the past two months?

I can't believe they aren't starting happ. Were they sleeping through the past two months?
His results are certainly great. Advanced stats suggest that he has been fortunate.

I think there was a case to be made for Happ, Tanaka, and Severino. I would have been okay with any of them. The leash will be short no matter what.

NL needs the DH.

It is a completely different game, but as an NL fan I am adamantly against the DH. It is really what you grow up with, and a pro-DH or anti-DH guy will likely not convince the other because it comes down to preference.

Many AL Fans (not yourself Alsacs) think the extra "strategy" NL fans talk about is just a pitcher bunting. It is much more then that.
- As you mentioned taking out (or keeping in) the starter when he comes to bat, when he can still give you more.
- Doing a double switch to allow the reliever to stay in longer then a partial inning (but also losing a starter and replacing him with a bench guy)
- Keeping in a struggling reliver a little longer to try to get out of the inning if he comes up to bat.
- Much harder to do the righty/lefty thing effectively in the NL.. needs more in game planning.

I grew up as an NL Fan so I enjoy that level of thought through the late innings much more. But the AL Fan will argue that it takes the best players out of the game late so how is it any better.

His results are certainly great. Advanced stats suggest that he has been fortunate.

I think there was a case to be made for Happ, Tanaka, and Severino. I would have been okay with any of them. The leash will be short no matter what.

It will be a bullpen game. 2 runs over 4 innings, would probably be taken by the Yanks.

It is a completely different game, but as an NL fan I am adamantly against the DH. It is really what you grow up with, and a pro-DH or anti-DH guy will likely not convince the other because it comes down to preference.

Many AL Fans (not yourself Alsacs) think the extra "strategy" NL fans talk about is just a pitcher bunting. It is much more then that.
- As you mentioned taking out (or keeping in) the starter when he comes to bat, when he can still give you more.
- Doing a double switch to allow the reliever to stay in longer then a partial inning (but also losing a starter and replacing him with a bench guy)
- Keeping in a struggling reliver a little longer to try to get out of the inning if he comes up to bat.
- Much harder to do the righty/lefty thing effectively in the NL.. needs more in game planning.

I grew up as an NL Fan so I enjoy that level of thought through the late innings much more. But the AL Fan will argue that it takes the best players out of the game late so how is it any better.

I hate no DH because it ends up with a bunch of scrubs and backups in the game by the end. I want the best players out there for as long as possible. I also hate it when a dominating pitcher is removed in like the 6th inning because they are losing 1-0 and its their turn at bat.

Yankees losing tonight. Oakland's bullpen is filth. Severino is going to get shelled again like last year. These aren't the Twins.
9576BDDF-4B14-44BE-8EE9-7B32CE0907E6.gif

I guess the yanks pitching sevy wasn’t so stupid.

You were saying?

I had the Yankees winning last night I just looked at the numbers in the second half and thought starting your 3rd most consistent starter over Happ or Tanaka was stupid.
I had no doubt the Yankees would hit HRs.
Both AL matchups are pure coin tosses and both rounds will be battles.
NL is wide open but if anyone but LA Dodgers comes out of the NL I will be shocked.
Braves have a nice young team but the Dodgers IMO will sweep them.
Rox-Brew Crew pure coin toss.

AL Odds to win the pennant are insane.
No value at all except maybe Cleveland but it’s not a lot.
Boston +190
Houston +200
New York +350
Cleveland +400

One last point the Yankees fans chanting “We want Boston” for this Red Sox fan was amazing. Never did I thing we would see the day after the 90s that Yankees fans would validate the stupid “Yankees suck” chant we used to see at Fenway.
The Red Sox are viewed by Yankees fans as equal bullies and the Little brother/Big Brother stuff is gone.
I mean I sorta get it as the Red Sox have 3 titles the last 13 years but from Yankees fans it was shocking.
They were acknowledging the Red Sox as something I didn’t expect.

Should be a series like tennis first team to break the other on the road we will.
If the Yankees split at Fenway it will be Yankees in 4.
If Boston goes up 2-0 I expect Sale to win in 5.

One last point the Yankees fans chanting “We want Boston” for this Red Sox fan was amazing. Never did I thing we would see the day after the 90s that Yankees fans would validate the stupid “Yankees suck” chant we used to see at Fenway.
The Red Sox are viewed by Yankees fans as equal bullies and the Little brother/Big Brother stuff is gone.
I mean I sorta get it as the Red Sox have 3 titles the last 13 years but from Yankees fans it was shocking.

Should be a series like tennis first team to break the other on the road we will.

I think that chant would have happened with any ALDS opponent with 2 syllables.

That was a funny take, though.

I just text a friend that the Yankees have to win one of the first two to win the series. I'm not saying the Yankees are going to win, but its going to be much more challenging than the four visit sweep back in August. Yankees are playing much better baseball now. Last night was so exciting. Still wish the Yankees and Sox could meet for the ALCS, but that is not how it works.

I think that chant would have happened with any ALDS opponent with 2 syllables.

That was a funny take, though.
Yeah it didn’t happen last year.
There was no “We want Cleveland” during the wild card game.
Your fans validated the Red Sox. It happened. The local trolls in Boston who hate Boston fans are losing it that the Yankees fan did that.

Yeah it didn’t happen last year.
There was no “We want Cleveland” during the wild card game.
Your fans validated the Red Sox. It happened. The local trolls in Boston who hate Boston fans are losing it that the Yankees fan did that.

I don’t know, brother. Just a chant, not a validation. That’s a deep look. Sometimes it is just what it is.

Edit: I don’t care either way. Just felt like weighing in.

NO.

The sux are viewed here as a false god, a fake prophet...

And we are coming to take our rightful seat back on the altar of Baseballs Church as the one true GOD.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I AM THE LORD, WHEN I LAY MY VENGENCE UPON YOU!!!!

NO.

The sux are viewed here as a false god, a fake prophet...

And we are coming to take our rightful seat back on the altar of Baseballs Church as the one true GOD.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I AM THE LORD, WHEN I LAY MY VENGENCE UPON YOU!!!!
Joe Torre Era Yankees fans don’t do that.
The Red Sox have moved onto the minds of Yankees fans. Just like pre-04 Red Sox fans cared about the Yankees.

Starting Severino was smart. A's biggest struggles had been against high velocity. Yanks had confidence from his recent starts that he was going to deliver. Now they've built him some confidence heading into when they need him most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom