Monday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Monday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
10002108-large.jpg

FB | Cohen: Repetitive, predictable play calling costs Syracuse

FB | Syracuse loses field position battle with poor special teams ...

Syracuse University football team failed in critical areas in all ...

Unable to capitalize on turnovers, Syracuse loses second straight

‎Junior Alec Lemon is Syracuse University representative on weekly Big East honor roll

Recruiting

Joseph-Jackson.jpg

High 3 star OL Joseph Jackson opts for UNC despite NCAA investigation

Videos

SU football falls again at UConn

Syracuse University Sports Greatest Moments

Premium

The Morning After: SU at UConn - Negatives

Gambling Site

Syracuse Orange Vs. South Florida Bulls 11/11/11: Mark's Free ...

Former Players

10651043.jpg

Photos by Carl Elmore/For the Savannah Morning News
Savannah State running back Justin Babb (20) tries to shake off Norfolk State linebacker Chad Battles (90) on Saturday.

Playing a MEAC newcomer that allowed fewer than 30 points just once, the only way the Spartans (8-2, 6-1 MEAC) could realistically have lost was to suffer a let-down.

Defensive end Chad Battles made it clear from the first play he wouldn't let that happen.

On the opening kickoff, Battles sprinted down the field and ripped the ball from the arms of kick returner Chris Strong. Darrin Marrow fell on it at the Savannah State 28, giving the Norfolk State offense a short field to start the game.

"I thought it gave us some momentum," Battles said. "We'd been home for a while and used to listening to music before the game to get us going.

Obviously we can't do that here. When you score right after, it helps. Twenty-one points in the first quarter helps too."
HR

David Tyree's Super Bowl catch just a footnote in his life

SU In The NFL

Delone Carter Indy 4 rushes 8 yards

Dwight Freeney Indy 1 tackle

Mike Williams Tampa Bay 6 receptions 46 yards

Tannard Jackson Tampa Bay 4 tackles 1 assist

J McClain Baltimore Ravens3 tackles 1 assist

Steve Gregory San Diego 3 tackles

Last Opponent

8c8664_Conn_10212011.jpg

UConn Coach Pasqualoni: The Day After Syracuse

Huskies Working On Complementary Game

UConn 28 - Syracuse 21: They s'posed to be ACC

UConn football beats Syracuse 28-21

Connecticut beats Syracuse 28-21

Around The Big East

What we learned in the Big East: Week 10

Big East bowl projections: Week 11

Big East Rewind: Cincinnati keeps hold of first place at Pittsburgh

No more "Country Roads"

College Football Power Rankings: Big East

Player Perspective: Masuk's Casey Cochran

Big East power rankings: Week 11

Big East Week 10 Recap

Air Force thinking about staying in the Mountain West?

Big East players of the week

Around The Nation

3-point stance: Stanford's victory is costly

Source: Missouri move to SEC done

Each unsure of the other, Missouri, SEC civilly enter union

Penn State reels from accusations of child abuse, coverup

Blogs

Final 3 for PA Linebacker Tyrone Neal: Syracuse, West Virginia, Nebraska

UConn 28 - Syracuse 21: Orange Defeat Orange Again

Syracuse vs. USF: The Battle Of Who Could Care Less

UConn 28 - Syracuse 21: Orange Defeat Orange Again

10002108-large.jpg

FB | Cohen: Repetitive, predictable play calling costs Syracuse

FB | Syracuse loses field position battle with poor special teams ...

Syracuse University football team failed in critical areas in all ...

Unable to capitalize on turnovers, Syracuse loses second straight

Videos

SU football falls again at UConn

Syracuse University Sports Greatest Moments

Premium

The Morning After: SU at UConn - Negatives

Gambling Site

Syracuse Orange Vs. South Florida Bulls 11/11/11: Mark's Free ...

Former Players

10651043.jpg

Photos by Carl Elmore/For the Savannah Morning News
Savannah State running back Justin Babb (20) tries to shake off Norfolk State linebacker Chad Battles (90) on Saturday.

Playing a MEAC newcomer that allowed fewer than 30 points just once, the only way the Spartans (8-2, 6-1 MEAC) could realistically have lost was to suffer a let-down.

Defensive end Chad Battles made it clear from the first play he wouldn't let that happen.

On the opening kickoff, Battles sprinted down the field and ripped the ball from the arms of kick returner Chris Strong. Darrin Marrow fell on it at the Savannah State 28, giving the Norfolk State offense a short field to start the game.

"I thought it gave us some momentum," Battles said. "We'd been home for a while and used to listening to music before the game to get us going.

Obviously we can't do that here. When you score right after, it helps. Twenty-one points in the first quarter helps too."
HR

David Tyree's Super Bowl catch just a footnote in his life

SU In The NFL

Delone Carter Indy 4 rushes 8 yards

Dwight Freeney Indy 1 tackle

Mike Williams Tampa Bay 6 receptions 46 yards

Tannard Jackson Tampa Bay 4 tackles 1 assist

J McClain Baltimore Ravens3 tackles 1 assist

Steve Gregory San Diego 3 tackles

Last Opponent

8c8664_Conn_10212011.jpg

UConn Coach Pasqualoni: The Day After Syracuse

Huskies Working On Complementary Game

UConn 28 - Syracuse 21: They s'posed to be ACC

UConn football beats Syracuse 28-21

Connecticut beats Syracuse 28-21

Around The Big East

What we learned in the Big East: Week 10

Big East bowl projections: Week 11

Big East Rewind: Cincinnati keeps hold of first place at Pittsburgh

No more "Country Roads"

College Football Power Rankings: Big East

Player Perspective: Masuk's Casey Cochran

Around The Nation

3-point stance: Stanford's victory is costly

Source: Missouri move to SEC done

Each unsure of the other, Missouri, SEC civilly enter union

Penn State reels from accusations of child abuse, coverup

Blog

Final 3 for PA Linebacker Tyrone Neal: Syracuse, West Virginia, Nebraska

I love the complaints about repetitive playcalling. Just a couple of weeks ago a favorite bit was how they didn't stay with what was working enough.

I love the complaints about repetitive playcalling. Just a couple of weeks ago a favorite bit was how they didn't stay with what was working enough.

It was Marrone that started that by saying they had to do a better job of using plays more that had already worked.

Is this the same Team that made all the catch's against WVU (Well most anyway)?

They drank the Kool Aid. The Last/Best Chance for a win is Friday. It's a shame it's a short week.

Lots of blame to go around. Offense was AWOL in the first half. Nassib played horribly. He sometimes has trouble making decisions quickly and it leads to deer-in-the-headlights moments where he's caught between deciding to run, pass, or throw it away. I know he didn't have a lot of time at times, but that's part of playing that position. On the bright side, he played better in the second half. The defense was AWOL in the second half. Not sure what the issue was with kick coverage. Hard to believe UConn return kid is that good. Another blown opportunity though all around. Let's hope something clicks v. USF.

It was Marrone that started that by saying they had to do a better job of using plays more that had already worked.

I couple of people made posts like that independent of anything Marrone said.

Yep, Marrone started that discussion, although I like that we stay with what's working. I was worried we were going to the well a bit too much on the bootlegs, eventually either a DE is going to finally stay home, or eventually a DB is just going to jump a route. Especially against a team like us who can't complete a deep pass, gives them little to fear. But still could have been completed with a better throw.

I'd like to see us not only stay with what's working but go back to what worked in previous games. Send the TE out on a wheel route instead of a reverse. Spread option runs. What happened to Kobena? Gets a few scripted positive plays on offense against WVU, haven't seen him since?

Yep, Marrone started that discussion, although I like that we stay with what's working. I was worried we were going to the well a bit too much on the bootlegs, eventually either a DE is going to finally stay home, or eventually a DB is just going to jump a route. Especially against a team like us who can't complete a deep pass, gives them little to fear. But still could have been completed with a better throw.

I'd like to see us not only stay with what's working but go back to what worked in previous games. Send the TE out on a wheel route instead of a reverse. Spread option runs. What happened to Kobena? Gets a few scripted positive plays on offense against WVU, haven't seen him since?

People think we did the Graham end around one too many times when he got tackled for a loss by #4 but that time it didn't work because Pugh blocked the wrong guy.

People think we did the Graham end around one too many times when he got tackled for a loss by #4 but that time it didn't work because Pugh blocked the wrong guy.

Not going to work every time, but don't see why people would have issues with that call, it was working, get poor execution on one, oh well. I like the design of our reverse (end around, whatever it's supposed to be called). Not quite as good as the way Deleone had designed his, but ours gives a good RB run or pass option too. Although we should probably take the one that goes to Provo right out of the playbook.

Marrone mentioned that Pugh has been beating himself up over a play, that was probably the one he was referring to. Doug loves the kids game and attitude. Says Justin has been a great one from day one. Predicts a great future for him. There was another play where Pugh held his block well until Ryan stepped up out of the pocket right into the arms of Pugh's man who was being blockedcto the side & forward.