Monday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Monday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for Orangeyes as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan. War Damn Orangeyes!

News

040614_SU-Football-vs.-Boston-College_Ziniu-Chen.jpg

Syracuse Continues to Transition to Fast-Paced Offense in Spring Practice (DO; Hass)

Now McDonald is working to ensure SU’s offense reaches an even faster pace. Syracuse averaged 73.7 plays a game last year — fourth in the Atlantic Coast Conference. This year he hopes that number jumps to 84, and also said he’d love to get a play off every 18 seconds. He wants balance, simplicity and speed, with quarterback Terrel Hunt as the anchor.

“I love it,” Hunt said. “I just listen to what (McDonald) says. He tells us to go fast, we go fast.”

McDonald said the goal is to have his players do everything faster and think less in the process. Though the offense became simpler last year, McDonald said it was still too complex.

This year, he wants Hunt and Co. to just go.

“The best way to do that is to continue to cut, cut, cut, cut,” McDonald said, “until you really get the nuts and bolts where they can go out and execute with their eyes closed and be really efficient.”

Sounds like GM has been talking to Nate Hackett...

14645683-mmmain.jpg

John Parris (89)

What to Expect From the TE Position in Year 2 of the GM Offense (PS; Mink)

It had been the norm under former offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett for a Syracuse tight end to haul in 30 catches in a season. Nick Provo and Beckett Wales all flourished in Hackett's system, run by an experienced and gifted quarterback in Ryan Nassib.

Last season, production in the passing game plummeted, and tight ends were only targeted 47 times. Still, it is a facet of the offense second-year coordinator George McDonald wants to reimagine in 2014, an area where improvement is needed.

"There will probably be more emphasis on that position now that we are doing a lot less on the offense," McDonald said last week. "We can flex those guys out."

-eb849ff2ca64eea7.JPG

KJ Williams, AJ Long, Zaire Franklin

SU LB Coach Clark Lea Says There are Benefits of an Early Signing Period for Syracuse (PS; Mink)

Lea would like to know how an early signing period would affect the recruiting calendar, namely when official visits can be held and if the date would impact a school's ability to show off its game day environment.

"These decisions are made so early a lot of times," Lea said. "I think it works two ways. One is: It allows a team to have a committed player who can sign early to focus their attention elsewhere. And then on the flip side, if I'm recruiting a kid that signs early somewhere else, now I can consolidate resources. I'm not chasing him. I then turn my focus where it needs to be.

"And I think it cleans up some of the commit-decommit mess that really is a black eye at times."

Transcript of Nate Mink's Noon Chat on syracuse.com Friday (PS; Mink)

Former Players

Justin-Pugh-2.jpg

Justin Pugh Excited for Changes, Upgrades Made to Giants' OL (giants101.com; Rush)

...One thing that Pugh mentioned was the swapping of number between him and another roster holdover from last year in Brandon Mosley. Mosley previously wore 67, which was Pugh's number at Syracuse and also during high school as well. Last week, Pugh was able to get 67 from Mosley and will wear that number in 2014 while Mosley switched to 75, which was his number when he attended Auburn. Pugh said the number switch was something that had in the works for a while.

"Brandon and I actually talked about doing this last year, but because of NFL rules with the jersey numbers and selling all of the made merchandise and jerseys, we couldn't do it. But after the season, I was able to get 67 from him and he wanted to go to 75 and it worked out well for both of us."

Other

NCAA Proposes To Give Power 5 Conferences the Independence They Want (Fresno Bee; AP)

An NCAA proposal would give the five biggest conferences a chance to make their own rules, a nod to the revenue their football and basketball programs produce and their need to help players close the gap between the worth of a scholarship and the price of attending college.

Those conferences, the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC, all have major football programs and reaped huge payouts as part of the BCS, which is being replaced by a four-team playoff system starting next season. In almost every case, football revenue pays the bills for athletic programs that often field close to 20 teams. All those, except for football and men’s basketball, are often considered “non-revenue-producing” sports...

040614_S_SoftballvsNCState_LoganReisma_SP.jpg

Syd The Kid: Star Frosh O'Hara On Her Way to Becoming Best 2-Way Player in Program History (DO; Schneidman)
O’Hara became just the fourth pitcher in school history to accomplish the feat — the first to do so in a debut — and added a 3-for-4 performance at the plate with a double and two RBIs.

But that was just the start.

In her first collegiate season, O’Hara has dominated on the mound, leading the team in earned-run average (3.66), strikeouts (107, 70 more than the next highest), wins (10), innings pitched (86) and opponent batting average (.232). But she’s also matched Shirley Daniels for the team lead in doubles (eight) and ranks fifth on the team in home runs (three), RBIs (13) and runs scored (16) as a mainstay at the No. 6 spot in the lineup.

Add on Atlantic Coast Conference and National Player of the Week honors, and O’Hara could be on her way to becoming not only the best freshman in program history, but also the best two-way player Syracuse softball has ever seen.

“Just thinking about coming in here and getting those awards, I never in a million years would expect that,” O’Hara said. “I just go out there, and I play hard.”

Last edited:
that it is of the over looked things that they allow in fast pitch that gets talked about from time to time. the better pitchers do it more and i dont know why they dont seem to care.. its a sport that struggles for offense and many teams end up with just trying to slap and run in the box because its too hard to hit the better pitchers.

the is one MLB guy doing some of this and some games he gets called out for it

it would be interesting to really get into what part of the offense got slimmed down to make it go faster.. is it less plays to remember, less formations, less complex plays to run? you hear talk about some teams running 10-20 plays really well. HS tries to do too much but is that the same issue some college programs have too?

The lead pic taken against BC hits the spot! Triggers my football jones!! Now,.. I got a football jones!

Excited about 2014-15. Increase tempo and find the rhythms!! Go SU!

040614_S_SoftballvsNCState_LoganReisma_SP.jpg

Compare &

Contrast the distance the toes from the rubber just before release of ball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors